ESPN's Ravech: Teixeira has "enormous attraction to the Orioles" Close to signing

Tony-OH

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, Buster Olney and Peter Gammons both say we're out of the running.

If Joe Morgan says it, that would be the nail in the coffin. I hope Joe thinks we're consistent enough for Tex.

Actually I think Joe Morgan saying that would be a huuuge plus. I mean have you ever heard the man announce? Awful....just awful.

Found this on a Nats board./ For what its worth (not much)

"My father's best friend from high school is a Luxury home Builder. His business partner plays cards every week with Teixeira's father. Tex's father indicated he really didn't want to play with the O's. He went further, stating Tex's choice would be to stay in LA. However the wife is pressing him to come east. Despite what you may have been lead to believe she is from Atlanta (some already knew this). My Dad's friend comes into play here because of his partner and the fact that he has a super luxury home on the Bay he wants to sell him if he moves to the area. Tex's dad indicated a desire for the wife to be able to spend some time during the season in the ATL. Who plays in the ATL 3 times per season? As petty as this sounds it is a factor as is the fact that apparently according to the father the Nats have and always have had the biggest offer. Also Tex seems to know or have been sold by the Nats brass that he would be the legacy starter in DC. Not grouped with Ripken, Brooks etc. In short if Tex goes anywhere else it won't be because the Nats got outbid. Take it for what its worth, but I trust my pops and the 2 individuals he knows and it would be one hell of a story for me to come up with."

Not only is this made up (his father's best friend from high school has a business partner that plays cards every week with Teixeira's father??? I am closer to Kevin Bacon than that.), but that logic doesn't even compute. The Nats may or may not have the largest offer, but the not wanting to be grouped in with Ripken, Brooks is crazy talk, and the Nats are appealing because they play the Braves 9 times?

This is the biggest fake since the Hitler diaries, or that Emancipation Retraction.

I still have a weird feeling that he signs with D.C. Feelings are weird. I don't like feelings. In fact, I think I'm going to go drink until I can't feel feelings anymore.

Not really getting a Gnats vibe. However, I am getting a Sux vibe. :(

I know a lot of people are saying the Sux won't get this high and the Sux won't go this many years. Well, you know what? There's a first time for everything.

Why yes it does. If it's any consolation I'll be up until at least 3AM working on a contract, only to go to work 3 hrs later.

Man, that's rich. BTW, if the implication is that you're working on the Tex contract, and Friday's your b-day, well you've just outed yourself.

I'll just assume that you're working on some other non-baseball related contract until 3 AM. Good luck with that!

So a friend's neighbor's dad's coworker's mistress says she used to live near severna park. That said, she is very close to the situation. Tex will be a Red Sox. I think that is Peter Gammon's source.

Don't you tend to trust the insiders here more then what the media was given? Just using the immediate past, Bedard deal was dead for a week before it was official. I don't read into what ESPN has to say. Once Belkast, BB, Scorpio and 7117 are saying hes wearing a red I am a believer.

Okay, when you say things like "The Nats are a baseball team? They have fans?," you realize that you sound EXACTLY like Red Sox fans when they were playing Tampa in the ALCS, right?

They have real fans the same way that the Ravens have fans. Ravens fans didn't buy into having the Redskins shoved down our throat after the Colts left. The Redskins weren't "Baltimore." Just like the Orioles aren't "Washington D.C."

So quit with that, huh? Unless you want to sound like arrogant, self-involved Red Sox fans. ;)

However, the radio and TV ratings for Nats games in Washington are incredibly low. Low to the point where they thought the numbers must be a mistake so they reran them. A typical Nats game on MASN drew about 9000 fans (compared to 28,000 for the next lowest team in all of baseball, the Royals!). Link to article below.

Basically, they had respectable attendance (but not great) at the new ballpark because it sort of became a yuppie place to go and have a few drinks and be seen. But in terms of fans who follow the team on a daily basis, pay attention to the games, watch on TV or listen on the radio....the Nats fanbase is pretty much nonexistent. Nonexistent on a scale that hasn't been seen in the major leagues in a long long time.

DC United has a larger and more dedicated fanbase than the Nationals.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/07/nats_last_in_the_league_last_i.html

Basically, they had respectable attendance (but not great) at the new ballpark because it sort of became a yuppie place to go and have a few drinks and be seen. But in terms of fans who follow the team on a daily basis, pay attention to the games, watch on TV or listen on the radio....the Nats fanbase is pretty much nonexistent. Nonexistent on a scale that hasn't been seen in the major leagues in a long long time.

DC United has a larger and more dedicated fanbase than the Nationals.

This. All of it.

Archived