ESPN's Ravech: Teixeira has "enormous attraction to the Orioles" Close to signing

Tony-OH

However, the radio and TV ratings for Nats games in Washington are incredibly low. Low to the point where they thought the numbers must be a mistake so they reran them. A typical Nats game on MASN drew about 9000 fans (compared to 28,000 for the next lowest team in all of baseball, the Royals!). Link to article below.

Basically, they had respectable attendance (but not great) at the new ballpark because it sort of became a yuppie place to go and have a few drinks and be seen. But in terms of fans who follow the team on a daily basis, pay attention to the games, watch on TV or listen on the radio....the Nats fanbase is pretty much nonexistent. Nonexistent on a scale that hasn't been seen in the major leagues in a long long time.

DC United has a larger and more dedicated fanbase than the Nationals.

Very accurate. I read and listen to DC sports media and I can tell you that there is very little Nats vibe in this city. Every time Teixeira is even mentioned, the notion that he would sign with the Nats is scoffed at.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However, the radio and TV ratings for Nats games in Washington are incredibly low. Low to the point where they thought the numbers must be a mistake so they reran them. A typical Nats game on MASN drew about 9000 fans (compared to 28,000 for the next lowest team in all of baseball, the Royals!). Link to article below.

Basically, they had respectable attendance (but not great) at the new ballpark because it sort of became a yuppie place to go and have a few drinks and be seen. But in terms of fans who follow the team on a daily basis, pay attention to the games, watch on TV or listen on the radio....the Nats fanbase is pretty much nonexistent. Nonexistent on a scale that hasn't been seen in the major leagues in a long long time.

DC United has a larger and more dedicated fanbase than the Nationals.

I can sort of attest to this. There's a TON of lobbying money in DC. I know, it goes w/o saying. Anyway, that means that there's a strong ticket market for Nats tix. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that potential revenue surge doesn't translate to TV ratings.

Man, that's rich. BTW, if the implication is that you're working on the Tex contract, and Friday's your b-day, well you've just outed yourself.

I'll just assume that you're working on some other non-baseball related contract until 3 AM. Good luck with that!

Hah sorry to get your hopes up guys...didn't even pick up on the relation there. Trust me I'd rather be working on that contract than mine.

Aright boys I'm calling it a night. May tomorrow be the day we've all been waiting for the last 3 years, and put Baltimore back on the baseball map. This website alone is testament to how much we deserve it. We have been in a dark tunnel, and hopefully tomorrow we really begin to emerge.

Did someone gag Roy? Not literally of course. I feel like the warehouse is in lockdown mode since this weekend and the trickle of information has been plugged. I see this as a good sign actually. If true. This is the difference between the old FO and the new.

Just guessing, but I bet Roy is a little gun shy about posting any info these days.

Regarding the Nats' chances on getting Tex, I found this on the Washington Post site, posted today:

"However, Kasten yesterday played down the Nationals' chances of landing Teixeira, who is expected to attract interest from some of the game's richest teams, including the Angels, Red Sox and -- possibly -- Yankees, and who could command a contract of $150 million or more for eight or more years. "I don't want people to have unrealistic expectations," Kasten said."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/18/AR2008111803318.html

based on? the longer this goes the worse it is for us

Good words came from ESPN today who reported that Teixeira and his wife's strong ties to the Bmore area might be a deciding factor in his choice. Some of the insiders are pretty optimistic as well, and the Angels seem to be trying harder for Manny than Tex.

Regarding the Nats' chances on getting Tex, I found this on the Washington Post site, posted today:

"However, Kasten yesterday played down the Nationals' chances of landing Teixeira, who is expected to attract interest from some of the game's richest teams, including the Angels, Red Sox and -- possibly -- Yankees, and who could command a contract of $150 million or more for eight or more years. "I don't want people to have unrealistic expectations," Kasten said."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/18/AR2008111803318.html

Good news unless he is pulling a McPhail and being cryptic about their intentions and feeling's regarding their chances.

Archived