28 to 26 cutdown 48 hours away

Just Regular

McKenna was optioned bc he was the guy with the option...but given how much he'd been playing, it's just a poor way to decide your roster construction. And yeah the 4th OF thing is an issue; Mullins and Hays need days off occasionally, and a Mullins or Hays, Mancini, Santander OF is a disaster if you're a pitcher 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Could they be waiting for a better inf/of to claim off waivers ??

That's a possibility since many players around the league will possibly be DFA'd between tonight & tomorrow. And if the O's don't claim anyone, then Mateo could also play the outfield if necessary.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I can't see anyone claiming any of them.  This obsession with marginal players is ridiculous.  It was obvious that Odor was staying based on how much he was hitting.  I'm hoping a real infield prospect forces the O's hand soon as it's torture to watch O's hit with so many automatic outs in the lineup.  At least McKenna filled a role, however small.

Yes, McKenna seems more valuable to the team than Owings does. Elias apparently chose McKenna only because he has options.

Mateo should stay at SS. Owings has played OF and can be of use there, but I think Nevin will be the first option. I don’t like Mancini out there, but he will still get some innings at the corners to keep his trade value maximized.

I don’t fully understand the McKenna move, honestly. Perhaps he is going to get regular at bats in AAA and come back up in June. He wasn’t playing much, and he was not productive. A solid defender and pinch runner. I guess Elias is buying more time for certain pitchers and players to see if they can establish some value.

The second move, why not make it today as well? Could be a series of moves again. Why keep Gutierrez? He doesn’t play, and his bat has regressed. I’d like to see him stay, and perhaps they DFA him tomorrow and he has chance to come back after clearing waivers. 

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Mateo should stay at SS. Owings has played OF and can be of use there, but I think Nevin will be the first option. I don’t like Mancini out there, but he will still get some innings at the corners to keep his trade value maximized.

I don’t fully understand the McKenna move, honestly. Perhaps he is going to get regular at bats in AAA and come back up in June. He wasn’t playing much, and he was not productive. A solid defender and pinch runner. I guess Elias is buying more time for certain pitchers and players to see if they can establish some value.

The second move, why not make it today as well? Could be a series of moves again. Why keep Gutierrez? He doesn’t play, and his bat has regressed. I’d like to see him stay, and perhaps they DFA him tomorrow and he has chance to come back after clearing waivers. 

Could be waiting to see what moves other teams make and if anyone is worth taking a flyer on.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I can't guess who goes today.   Roch says a position player.    But I would not take that to the bank.  

Looking at why Elias thinks he can drop McKenna's defense off the team I come up with one answer.   Santander's mobility this season.   Even with the big left field Santander is probably the guy who gives Hays a day off in left field.  

I look for Mancini or Nevin to see time in right when Santander is not there.

The primary reason to promote Nevin is his bat.   I look for Hyde to move him around  3B/DH/1B/RF.

I was thinking about this last night and there's maybe one scenario that gives me hope:  a bunch of guys are about to be DFAd throughout the game. So maybe Elias makes the easy move now (McKenna, maybe Lakins) to get to 26 while he places a claim to replace Owings? That would be a transaction that comes later than the roster crunch deadline.

Grasping at straws here.

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let’s see what McKenna can do with everyday ABs in AAA. Last year he put up a lot of dingers in SSS there. 

It's wild how many outfielders they are trying to rotate in Norfolk. Stowers, Rizer, McKenna, Stewart, Neustrom, Cespedes...

Cleveland with their saturated roster got their Bobby Bradley and Logan Allen DFA's out to the marketplace crisply.

Whether Lakins is one of the cuts or his 26-man spot is just cycled to a fresh arm after 46 pitches yesterday, I won't feel like we're maximizing the Monday roster if he is on it tonight.

• Upvote 1