The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Really? That is devastating news if we going to have to wait another couple of years for Wieters. What a bummer if we have to wait another 4 years for Matusz to be productive. Some players will take a while, many will be a lot quicker.

And If we keep coming in last place every year we should have a great team in 5 years. :rolleyes:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No - sigining Tex could bring credibility back to this franchise/owner. We will show other quality FA and current players that we are making a serious effort to compete, and to compete soon. Signing Tex to a huge deal would not cripple us financially (although I agree that he doesn't deserve a-rod money). Just because we sign Tex doesn't mean we can't keep building our farm system.

I think signing Tex would have a huge POSITIVE domino affect.

You're right. B-Rob would be more willing to sign. Markakis too. Tex doesn't win you the East in 2009 but he maybe takes you from 68 wins to 74. You can geek out on the stats but the point is that a power-hitting first baseman with Gold Glove defensive capabilities (a .300/.400/.500 guy) is a cornerstone of a baseball dynasty.

Unfortunately I disagree... The Orioles revenue potential is significantly less than the Red Sox revenue potential. Market size *does* have a significant impact.
I agree that we might not be able to get quite into the Red Sox area of spending, but I do think we can be on that tier with them, the LA teams, the Dodgers. Probably either at the bottom of that tier or the very top of the other with the ability to pump things up occasionally and spend some more money for a couple years, like what the Tigers did last year.

The Baltimore/Washington area is a pretty healthy market.

With all of this talk of the O's all of a sudden being out, I came up with a far fetched conspiracy theory.

I was thinking that maybe Boras put this information into the media to squeeze more money out of the O's. Maybe he realizes Tex really wants to play for the O's, but Baltimore isn't putting up enough money. So maybe if he makes the Orioles think they are out that the O's will ante up. This benefits both Tex and Boras.

Let me know if you guys think this is feasible.

I agree that we might not be able to get quite into the Red Sox area of spending, but I do think we can be on that tier with them, the LA teams, the Dodgers. Probably either at the bottom of that tier or the very top of the other with the ability to pump things up occasionally and spend some more money for a couple years, like what the Tigers did last year.

It is a healthy market in which Tex would not have to compete against other ballplayers of his caliber and stature for endorsement dollars.

Put a competitive ball club on the field, and your market becomes bigger, as do revenues. Attendance should be sending a loud and clear message to Angelos that we've had enough!

Unfortunately I disagree... The Orioles revenue potential is significantly less than the Red Sox revenue potential. Market size *does* have a significant impact.

How was it we were able to have one of the highest payrolls in baseball in the late 90's didnt the Yankees and RSox have the same potential then as they do now. If so and there revenue changed as a result of winning why would Balt. be so diffrent( not argueing just trying to understand)

I agree with you here. I do think that ~$200M is more than Tex deserves in a vacuum, but we're not in one, we have to overpay. And I don't consider that "ARod money", although it certainly is a massive commitment.

I also don't think he's considered a quick fix. What he would do, IMO, is speed up the rebuild by 1-2 years. We could possibly contend in 2010 if a couple prospects develop slightly faster than expected and/or we sign a SP or two, and definitely by 2011.

You really don't consider north of $200m to be an ARod like price to performance pricetag?

ARod $250m for a 1.000+ OPS production at 3b seems about the same kind of premium to me as $200m for a .900+ OPS of production at 1b.

How was it we were able to have one of the highest payrolls in baseball in the late 90's didnt the Yankees and RSox have the same potential then as they do now. If so and there revenue changed as a result of winning why would Balt. be so diffrent( not argueing just trying to understand)

Cable networks and markets...

First of all, Tex or no Tex, Nick is signing here if we put 6/65(or so) on the table.

Secondly, I wonder if Buster Olney's source is someone in the Baltimore media?

I mean, you know he likely still talks to guys like Schmuck..."Old friends" sp to speak.

Kurkijian recently referred to Schmuck as one of his closest friends in baseball. So, same goes with him.

If Schmuck, Roch, Connolly, Zrebiac or whoever are getting fed something from AM, it may filter its way down to everyone. Seeing as they all seem to be hearing similar things, this seems like a possibility.

If anyone thinks that PA will go anywhere near $25 million they have not been paying attention. The draw was home; that is the only reason we are even discussing this. I remain convinced we will lose with a 150-type offer. [Hubris kills.] Which means the optimistic "insiders" on this board (cue some appropriate Cormac Mccarthy quote about reckonings) will have to answer for themselves. I know, I know, I'm now banned with the quickness...

Tex will have 5-6 prime years IMO. Wieters and Jones will provide enough sub-prime production and Markakis will hit his prime in the next few years to give us enough offense. And Roberts at the top of the order should provide enough runs for another 4 years or so.

There is a 4-5 year window to compete with Tex.

Why in the world would they spend 200 million on a guy who doesnt match up with all the other guys' primes? If he was a bargain signing - taking a hometown discount or something - sure, then that would make some sense. It makes a ton more sense to wait and go after a stud free agent that will be in his prime when the other guys will.

Just be honest with yourself and admit you want Tex even though it doesnt make the most baseball sense. That's a legit reason. I dont understand why people keep trying to defend signing Tex as some sort of genius baseball decision. There is nothing about the guy that fits well on this team other than the fact he's a Maryland native. Ask yourself this: If Tex was from San Diego would there be any reason to go nuts and bid 200 million on him? EVEN IF the O's needed a 1B would there be any reason to be so determined to be the high bidder?

Tex is a win now move all the way. His overpaid decline coincides with when this team should really be poised to make a run. Even if you see a rosy decline period there is still no reason why he should be such a huge priority. People are just all worked up to see the O's mentioned with a big name free agent prize, IMO.

With all of this talk of the O's all of a sudden being out, I came up with a far fetched conspiracy theory.

I was thinking that maybe Boras put this information into the media to squeeze more money out of the O's. Maybe he realizes Tex really wants to play for the O's, but Baltimore isn't putting up enough money. So maybe if he makes the Orioles think they are out that the O's will ante up. This benefits both Tex and Boras.

Let me know if you guys think this is feasible.

I think you owe Scott Boras a huge apology. He is a man of integrity and would never stoop to such a level.

If anyone thinks that PA will go anywhere near $20 million they have not been paying attention. The draw was home; that is the only reason we are even discussing this. I remain convinced we will lose with a 150-type offer. [Hubris kills.] Which means the optimistic "insiders" on this board (cue some appropriate Cormac Mccarthy quote about reckonings) will have to answer for themselves. I know, I know, I'm now banned with the quickness...

Break out your calculator and divide 150 by 7. Then post.

Archived