Baltimore Intrigued With Cano.

Can_of_corn

I want to move on from Odor, but moving on from Odor to Cano seems to be a lateral move. I know Urias hasn't been good and they want a lefty bat, but I would still much rather we just say good bye to Odor, stick Urias at 2B full time and give 3B to Nevin for a bit. Rutschman will be up next week and as a switch hitter gives us another bat from the left side against righties. Then bring up Martin to replace Owings. 

Vavra's injury really hinders the infield picture right now. If he were healthy, he'd have a clear shot to get his major league debut. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m trying to be as open minded about this as I can.

The Mets have Jeff McNeill at 2B boasting a 148 OPS+.   Their utility guy Guillorme has a 126 OPS+ and doubtlessly is more versatile than Cano.   They are doing DH by committee.   So, there’s really no spot for Cano.  

The O’s, on the other hand, have Rougned Odor at 2B.   Cano perhaps could be a small upgrade.   He did post an .896 OPS in 2020 and his numbers this year could just be skewed SSS stuff.  

OK, that’s the best rationalization I can come up with.  I don’t think it flies.   Odor vs. Cano — ugh!

This is where the annual Vavra injury hurts. If he was doing well in Norfolk and healthy, he'd be the guy to bring up though he's not great at turning DPs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

That I am not sure of.  Listening to Baseball Tonight they seem to think the Cano is nothing more than a DH now.   So I don't know at 39 whether he can turn the double play like Odor can.  And the DPs have been important to the pitching staff.

That is why I say sign him to the minor league contract. Send him to Sarasota and see what he has left before bringing him to the majors.

He's like Odor, but can't play defense.  I'll pass. 

The Correa stuff was fun and maybe he was right, but the Stowers non-injury was clearly just wrong and he never corrected himself. As a supposed journalist, that's about as bad as it gets. We can't be starting threads based on "reporters" who have clearly outed themselves as bogus. I believe there's a board rule about it. Even if he heard from someone that Stowers was going to miss a month, what kind of idiot doesn't issue a correction when the guy is in the lineup the very same day?

I don’t like Odor

I don’t like Cano

So if they switch one for the other, it doesn’t matter a whole lot to me. I’d rather see a young guy hit below a .600 OPS than a tired veteran. But if it’s Odor out and Cano in, would that make any difference whatsoever?