Cionel Perez 2022

Frobby

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Don’t be surprised if he isn’t the closer by the end of the year. Bautista seems a bit nervous out there.  He might end up being fine, but it seems like guys are guessing on his pitches pretty well since he became a closer. 

Well, it's pretty much a 50/50 guess since he's primarily  Fastball/split.  He didn't seem that nervous to me and Oneill Cruz and Kevin Newman didn't seem to guess that well.    The guy who got the hit flicked his bat in a desperate attempt to make contact and flaired one out to LF.   The other guy walked on a 3-2 pitch.   So who was guessing so well and how does a pitcher with 1 and 2nd with 1 out, look nervous when he strikes out the next two batters?

The biggest worry I have about Bautista that as good as he is, his fastball doesn't have a ton of movement so it can be barreled when he throws it dead center.   It seems to take him time to find the feel for his split and he doesn't have consistent command.   He pretty much hung that last pitch to Newman but it still fooled him.   He's far from perfect but the K rate is going through the roof the more he gets ahead of hitters and throws the split.   We are going to have to live with the occasional hung split or middle middle fastball that gets barreled up.   However, he's good as he is and you can see the potential for dominant.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, it's pretty much a 50/50 guess since he's primarily  Fastball/split.  He didn't seem that nervous to me and Oneill Cruz and Kevin Newman didn't seem to guess that well.    The guy who got the hit flicked his bat in a desperate attempt to make contact and flaired one out to LF.   The other guy walked on a 3-2 pitch.   So who was guessing so well and how does a pitcher with 1 and 2nd with 1 out, look nervous when he strikes out the next two batters?

The biggest worry I have about Bautista that as good as he is, his fastball doesn't have a ton of movement so it can be barreled when he throws it dead center.   It seems to take him time to find the feel for his split and he doesn't have consistent command.   He pretty much hung that last pitch to Newman but it still fooled him.   He's far from perfect but the K rate is going through the roof the more he gets ahead of hitters and throws the split.   We are going to have to live with the occasional hung split or middle middle fastball that gets barreled up.   However, he's good as he is and you can see the potential for dominant.

He reminds me of Jorge Julio and Benitez before him.  I suspect he will be homer prone as the league learns him better.   

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He reminds me of Jorge Julio and Benitez before him.  I suspect he will be homer prone as the league learns him better.   

What's to learn?  He throws a fastball at 100 mph and he throws a split finger fastball.   There's nothing to learn.   If Bautista has decent command of both pitches he's close to untouchable.   Like all pitchers it comes down to how many mistakes he makes in the zone and whether he can get ahead of hitters consistently.

Not only does he throw 100-102, but he’s 6’7” so his release point is that much closer to home plate.   It’s got to be extremely intimidating.  Last night was nerve-wracking not so much due to his pitching, but because our squandering of multiple opportunities before that made it feel like a game we were destined to lose.   But, somehow we didn’t.  

• 4 weeks later...

97 painted on the outside!  Are you kidding me?  What an inning.  His stuff continues to improve through the season.  I've read articles about his peripherals pointing to him being lucky, but when you watch him pitch, he doesn't look like a guy getting lucky, he seems like he is in control.   I really enjoy the emotion out there and his joy for the game. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/6/2022 at 4:57 PM, Frobby said:

Not only does he throw 100-102, but he’s 6’7” so his reWhen the other lease point is that much closer to home plate.   It’s got to be extremely intimidating.  Last night was nerve-wracking not so much due to his pitching, but because our squandering of multiple opportunities before that made it feel like a game we were destined to lose.   But, somehow we didn’t.  

When the other team fails to score the other team almost always loses.