Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

We haven't seen anything official from the Nats yet, have we?

Yea, I wouldn't count out the Nats.

The Orioles still need to offer more money, if they haven't already.

It wouldn't shock me if an opt out clause stopped Tex from signing here though.

I just see the Orioles not being willing to do that.

That being said, you would figure that at this point, they would know about that and would have made a decision about that, so maybe it won't be a big deal.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Heard this from a party who has been in recent contact with the Nationals' front office: They absolutely do not expect to win the bidding for Mark Teixeira."

-Olney

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3785172&name=olney_buster&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d3785172%26name%3dolney_buster

not official yet but....

I've seen that, but its not strong enough for me to truly believe they are completely out.

"Heard this from a party who has been in recent contact with the Nationals' front office: They absolutely do not expect to win the bidding for Mark Teixeira."

-Olney

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3785172&name=olney_buster&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d3785172%26name%3dolney_buster

not official yet but....

Sounds like all this might be over soon

Yea, I wouldn't count out the Nats.

The Orioles still need to offer more money, if they haven't already.

It wouldn't shock me if an opt out clause stopped Tex from signing here though.

I just see the Orioles not being willing to do that.

That being said, you would figure that at this point, they would know about that and would have made a decision about that, so maybe it won't be a big deal.

Believe me the Red Sox won't include an opt out clause, the FO hates that. I almost wish they would, I'd rather have him for four years of his prime and then have him opt out.

Why wouldn't the Sox just go get Dunn? Do they really want to saddle themselves with a long term contract for 20 million a year?

They really don't need Mark Teixeira, IMO

Put a guy in your lineup who hits 40hrs a year and you're going to be much tougher to beat.

I've seen that, but its not strong enough for me to truly believe they are completely out.

I have a feeling that it won't be over with unless the Nats officially give up. Tex may not want to have to take the highest bid if it is by the Nats.

Why wouldn't the Sox just go get Dunn? Do they really want to saddle themselves with a long term contract for 20 million a year?

Put a guy in your lineup who hits 40hrs a year and you're going to be much tougher to beat.

Because they are The Red Sox

Dunn makes Ortiz a little redundant. Neither one should be allowed to put on a baseball glove.

I haven't really seen Dunn play that much. But, that's like casually saying, oh don't worry, he's gonna get 40 homeruns.

Hey, I'm pretty tired of hearing the natn'l media say the Nats have a homefield advantage in the Tex sweepstakes. When Tex was in school/in the area the Nats homefield was in Canada!! If he signs with his heart it'll be in bmore...

oh yeah, rookie poster here

I 100% agree...The Red Sox lost Manny and want the name factor back in their lineup which I think is fairly ridiculous considering the price they would have to pay to do so. I know Dunn strikes out a lot, and has a poor batting average, but with players like Ellsbury and Pedroia batting in front of him, Dunn would be a perfect cheap(er) fit to their lineup.

Tex would be the centerpiece of our franchise, he's just the flavor of the day to the Sox.

heres an attempt to discern the actual upgrade in wins Tex gives the Sox from http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/sox_therapy/discussion/teixeiras_potential_impact_on_the_red_sox/

Youk at 1B: +20 wRAA, +4 UZR, - 12.5 positional adjustment, +20 (above replacement level) = 31.5 runs above replacement

Lowell at 3B (~130 g): +2.6 wRAA, +7 UZR, +2 positional adjustment, +17 (above replacement level) = 28.6 runs above replacement

Total: ~60 Runs above replacement

Now here's now it looks with Tex coming in to play 1B and Youk moving to 3B:

Teixeira at 1B: +33 wRAA, +1 UZR, - 12.5 positional adjustment, +20 (above replacement level) = 41.5 runs above replacement

Youk at 3B: +20 wRAA, +9 UZR, +2.5 positional adjustment, +20 (above replacement level) = 51.5 runs above replacement

Total: ~93 Runs above replacement

Total improvement: ~33 runs

For those who don't know what all these stats mean, its basically a 3-5 win upgrade which is important in what looks like to be a dogfight of a division. Not sure Dunn will make much of a difference in the Sox lineup.

Archived