Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

Guys..The Red Sox are NOT out!

You are still wrapped in the news from a few days ago...It seems pretty well established that they aren't out.

It is Boston, Baltimore and DC....Those are the 3.

Put the most money on the table and you get Tex.

I think AM will have to put the money on the table twice. First time to get SB's attention, he will then shop it to the Sox and it will be upped. At that point it's a question of whether or not AM puts up the money again.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is lame if they aren't willing to go higher...It is lame if they put that out there as a "well, we tried" type thing and never move from it.

They know he isn't signing 7/140-150...So, are they serious about getting him and spend the extra money to do it or did they just put that out there to try and appease the fans?

We will know the answer to this very soon I am sure.

That's the part that would tee me off a little bit. Everyone knows that 7/140 won't get it done, so if that's the offer, then I'd hardly call that "trying". That being said, I personally don't think that that's the O's final offer. I also have a gut feeling that they will trump whatever the high offer is that's currently on the table (assuming it's not theirs).

Despite what Gammons says, the news from a few days ago was TEIX deciding to eliminate teams, and the Sox were the first.

I do not mean to be rude at all but the correct spelling of Teixeira's nickname is Tex not Teix (sorry but the Teix drives me nuts.)

IMO, it's lame if you know there are better options out there and you're a less-desirable place to play.

It was our first offer before we knew that there were "better options out there." And, AM said at the time that we were flexible on changing our offer once we knew what those other options were. But, why bid against yourself, especially when you see other bidders beginning to drop out. If we lose Teixeira, it won't be because of the initial offer, which was solid and gave us room to improve, if needed. It will be because we fail to respond when needed to close the deal. I still "hope" that that won't happen, but we'll see.

What reason do the 2 teams have to speak? The Red Sox have the highest offer on the table.

None.

But they parted ways saying "We will not be a factor" and SB issued about the same sentiment. Gammons and Boras say Tex is in the process of eliminating teams. The only team that hasn't said anything but we are in is the Orioles.

Despite what Gammons says, the news from a few days ago was TEIX deciding to eliminate teams, and the Sox were the first.
I think its pretty conclusive that the Tex is in no way eliminating teams. That makes no sense, and contradicts what Boras had to say about the Angels dropping out.

He wants as many teams involved as possible to drive up the bidding.

None.

But they parted ways saying "We will not be a factor" and SB issued about the same sentiment. Gammons and Boras say Tex is in the process of eliminating teams. The only team that hasn't said anything but we are in is the Orioles.

Which is why I believe the Red Sox are out even if they claim to have the highest offer on the table. ESPN and other media outlets can spin it all they want but I believe the Angels, Yanks, Red Sox are all out. It's just the Orioles and Nats.

I agree with the commentator who said the reason these negotiations have dragged on so long is because Boras hasn't gotten the number he wants. Apparently these teams don't want to play his game, so he just delays until someone blinks.

No one has blinked, apparently. McPhail has more patience than I'll ever dream of having. Perhaps he should get a seat at the World Series of Poker.

One would think he could call Boras today, say to him, "I'll do the per/year I offered previously, but I'll make it nine years. However, you have two hours to take it or we'll call Adam Dunn's agent and offer him a wad of money." Would that work? Why hasn't Andy done so? 1. He probably thinks he'd be rejected out of hand; that Boras won't be bullied. 2. He probably has ultimate confidence that he'll get to match or exceed the final price (although I'm not convinced that's the case), on the idea that Tex ultimately would like to play in Baltimore, and playing hard ball might dissuade Tex from looking upon the franchise favorably.

I think every single team is still in this game. Until the Angels or Red Sox make moves in the alternative, they are still potential suitors willing to give what they've offered. Boras is simply stubbornly waiting for someone to blink.

Archived