Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

You know, I never put all of that together. It does seem odd that the Sox are "out" (at least according to them they are)

The Red Sox never claimed to be out. Henry said, based on the offers Boras CLAIMED to have in hand, they didn't believe they were going to be a "factor," in the negotiations.

In other words, they didnt believe the higher offers existed but if they did, then they were suggesting that Boras should take them. The Sox never pulled their offer and never said that there would be no further discussions between the party.

I would seriously caution against believing the Sox are out.

I do think the Orioles are very smart for staying as far under the radar as possible. From all I've read here, and if Belkast's reports are accurate, they have a counter offer prepared and either have presented it or are about to do so. It seems they and the Red Sox are employing similar strategies except the Orioles have avoided publicly commenting on the status of the negotiations.

I still think, ultimately, the Red Sox will also deliver a new contract offer which will be slightly higher than the value they think they need to be. That may not get the deal done if Teixeira truly has decided he wants to play in Baltimore.

I think this ends, one way or the other by tomorrow.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So who has the largest offer on the table. Henry made it sound like a larger offer was on the table. Hence why they got out.

Nobody does. That's at least what Henry thinks, which is why he came out and said, "After hearing about the offers, it's clear that we won't be a factor."

Stuff like this makes me think that this is going to drag out longer than today or tomorrow....

no way it was given imo...i think even belkast said that maybe it hasn't been presented yet.

But it is time to up the offer...this thing is going to get done within the next 48 hours i would guess...so, there is no more waiting for the market to set itself or anything like that...it is set, we know what it is going to take.

I really hope the orioles don't cheap out here.

12/11/08

spoke with my guy. I am not getting the same info that bigbird received. We are very much in this still. The numbers are not really accurate that's out there, even from my end. The "wow" offer was not made yet. We will make that when it has been declared last call. The powers to be are feeling like they will win. I am confused but still very much optimistic. Btw....pga is definetly involved and in a big way.
it will probably end up somewhere between 9-10/200-215mil. Atleast that is what i am hearing.

12/14/08

i told you guys i would not make the official announcement.

I will say the "wow offer" has already been put on the table!!!

12/18/08

maybe they didn't present the wow offer yet. I know what i heard and i heard that they did. Sonny also heard the same thing. Same numbers even. I don't know maybe they will present another offer, maybe they are playing it just the way they want. I don't know. I do know that i am still very optimistic.

I think its pretty conclusive that the Tex is in no way eliminating teams. That makes no sense, and contradicts what Boras had to say about the Angels dropping out.

He wants as many teams involved as possible to drive up the bidding.

Agreed. The only way he'd be eliminating teams, IMO, is if their offers are on the table, and he's been told that they are "final". It makes no sense to start eliminating teams without knowing how high they will go. If he's indeed eliminating teams, then, IMO, those will be the teams who have drawn a line in the sand.

It was our first offer before we knew that there were "better options out there." And, AM said at the time that we were flexible on changing our offer once we knew what those other options were. But, why bid against yourself, especially when you see other bidders beginning to drop out. If we lose Teixeira, it won't be because of the initial offer, which was solid and gave us room to improve, if needed. It will be because we fail to respond when needed to close the deal. I still "hope" that that won't happen, but we'll see.

I think it's brilliant. AM didn't say, "Hey SB, lets talk, I want to up the offer to match these media reports on the Nats and Angels and Sox." Nope, he said said "Hey, we're flexible" as in "Give me a call when you are ready to get serious about signing."

Hopefully SB placed that call late last night or as business opens at 9 (noon EST)

The Red Sox never claimed to be out. Henry said, based on the offers Boras CLAIMED to have in hand, they didn't believe they were going to be a "factor," in the negotiations.

In other words, they didnt believe the higher offers existed but if they did, then they were suggesting that Boras should take them. The Sox never pulled their offer and never said that there would be no further discussions between the party.

I do think the Orioles are very smart for staying as far under the radar as possible. From all I've read here, and if Belkast's reports are accurate, they have a counter offer prepared and either have presented it or are about to do so. It seems they and the Red Sox are employing similar strategies except the Orioles have avoided publicly commenting on the status of the negotiations.

I still think, ultimately, the Red Sox will also deliver a new contract offer which will be slightly higher than the value they think they need to be. That may not get the deal done if Teixeira truly has decided he wants to play in Baltimore.

I tend to agree with this. Henry was very careful with how he phrased his response.

This business about Tex "eliminating teams" is likely a Boras tactic to get someone off their duff and increase their offer or else possibly be eliminated.

Do you all really think that Tex is going to tell Boston: "You're eliminated," yet then turn down some obsene offer from the Sox once they've been "eliminated?"

All that's going on right now is Boras trying to pull strings to get the auction going. It hasn't gone the way they planned, so we stay in a stalemate.

I don't think they are "out" I think they put their final offer on the table. Boras is trying to get it upped.

Sox are favored to land Tex - sorry to burst your buble. I like the optimism however.

You know, everyone assumes that the Sox are still in it, but when the Sox owner flies out there and then comes home and says "We won't be a factor" i mean that sounds rather definitive to me.

The only reason it seems that the Sox have any hope in this is that the media has been keeping them on life support. Now, are they in it - sure, in a sense they haven't rescinded their offer but I don;t think they are AS in it like they were seven days ago.

And the Yankees have NEVER officially been in it as far as I have read.

Right now it is down to us, the Nats and MAYBE the Sox. But I think the Sox are out of it in most respects.

You know, everyone assumes that the Sox are still in it, but when the Sox owner flies out there and then comes home and says "We won't be a factor" i mean that sounds rather definitive to me.

The only reason it seems that the Sox have any hope in this is that the media has been keeping them on life support. Now, are they in it - sure, in a sense they haven't rescinded their offer but I don;t think they are AS in it like they were seven days ago.

And the Yankees have NEVER officially been in it as far as I have read.

Right now it is down to us, the Nats and MAYBE the Sox. But I think the Sox are out of it in most respects.

The Red Sox arent out of anything. They are the Red Sox.

Archived