Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

It is lame if they aren't willing to go higher...It is lame if they put that out there as a "well, we tried" type thing and never move from it.

They know he isn't signing 7/140-150...So, are they serious about getting him and spend the extra money to do it or did they just put that out there to try and appease the fans?

We will know the answer to this very soon I am sure.

That I agree with. especially if perception is reality n that we can win the biddng by adding the extra year. The 7/140 to me is a very legit starting point and it is serious money. PGA needs to get this done. It is time to stop being door mats for the rest of the AL East. This needs to happen and then we need to address the pitching.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, everyone assumes that the Sox are still in it, but when the Sox owner flies out there and then comes home and says "We won't be a factor" i mean that sounds rather definitive to me.

The only reason it seems that the Sox have any hope in this is that the media has been keeping them on life support. Now, are they in it - sure, in a sense they haven't rescinded their offer but I don;t think they are AS in it like they were seven days ago.

And the Yankees have NEVER officially been in it as far as I have read.

Right now it is down to us, the Nats and MAYBE the Sox. But I think the Sox are out of it in most respects.

That's shortsighted. It's between us and the Red Sox. Red Sox have two trump cards 1. more money 2. better team. Red Sox are by far favored to land Tex. I hope he is an Oriole, but I'll keep my emotions from clouding my judgement.

So who has the largest offer on the table. Henry made it sound like a larger offer was on the table. Hence why they got out.

IMO, the Nats. It would make sense for them to have significantly beat Boston's offer from Thursday. Then, after Tex still had not signed with them by Saturday night, it became clear to them that they were being used to drive up the price. Which would explain Olney's comment that they don't think they can win the sweepstakes.

Of course, Boras could have been bluffing on Thursday and the offers we've heard reported are the true ones.

Roch has a new blog which basically asks you to be Andy MacPhail for a day. What would you do today?

I would ask for 8/180 million and get 'er done. Then I'll sign Zaun and one more catcher. Also, go after the two Japanese dudes.

http://masnsports.com/2008/12/so-whats-the-next-move.html

If that happens then I expect John Henry to hold a joint press conference with Hank Steinbrenner where they each implore MLB to step in and stop this naked attempt to buy a World Series Championship!!!!

:)

7/140 is not the Orioles final offer. MacPhail said there was flexibility in their offer, I'm willing to take what he says at face value. It was a good starting point, and truth be told, unless we actually land Tex, you won't ever know what the final Oriole bid was anyway, so it's a moot point to speculate about whether we made a great bid that was unfortunately turned down or whether we stuck to the original bid. You might as well not get your knickers in a bunch about it, for all the good it's going to do.

That's shortsighted. It's between us and the Red Sox. Red Sox have two trump cards 1. more money 2. better team. Red Sox are by far favored to land Tex. I hope he is an Oriole, but I'll keep my emotions from clouding my judgement.

I'll add to this that I think the "coming home" bit has been severely overblown. Yes, he's said it would be a "dream". But, if it were as important as some people like to think/hope, he'd likely have already signed with the O's. The "coming home" idea I'm not buying.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• That’s a pretty huge drop off after 2022. Don’t you think a good bit of that is probably attributable to some of the rule changes, though? His pop time was 1.93 seconds in 2022 and it was 1.96 seconds in 2024. Not getting better, but pretty comparable.  He was +1 run (above average) on SB attempts in 2022. He was also +1 run on SB attempts in 2024. Again, not better but pretty much the same. That metric (per StatCast) is based on various inputs at the time the pitch crosses the plate: the pitch location, the runner’s speed, the runner’s distance from 2B, etc. They deem it a measure of “base stolen on the pitcher rather than the catcher.”
    • Manny- Low leverage - 969 OPS High leverage - 1018 Arod- Low leverage - 942 High leverage - 952   I'd be fine with either.
    • I don’t think “not taking accountability/responsibility/blame” is Colton’s issue. Frankly, I think anyone who thinks that is an issue for him hasn’t been paying very close attention. I get that people — especially pissed off, frustrated fans, which we all are — want to see someone taking responsibility and accepting blame and acknowledging how big and crushing their failure was. But I don’t think that’s always a very productive mindset for professional athletes.  No one wants a shooter who comes into the huddle before the final shot saying “guys, I know I’m 1 for 13, I’m killing the team, and I’m really sorry about it. Try to avoid passing me the ball if you can because I just don’t have it and I’ve already let the team down enough tonight.” No one wants a press corner who breaks the defensive huddle thinking “this receiver’s way better than me, he just torched me on that last play, realistically I got no chance to hang with him. I better just sit back and give him a big cushion, try to minimize the damage.” And no one wants a hitter in baseball who can’t let go of his failures and keeps beating himself up for letting the team down. There’s a reason why you’d probably rather have a Manny Ramirez — blissfully indifferent to his prior failures, focused only on each fleeting moment, deeply satisfied that he’s the right man for the job — up there in high leverage moments than an Alex Rodriguez, who was constantly fretting about his performance, legacy, image, etc. It’s hard to say for sure from the outside. But I’d lay pretty good money that our kids (and especially Colton) cared and beat themselves up too much for their various struggles and failures, rather than too little. 
    • I was at one of those games in Japan, when the O's played the Tokyo Giants. My Dad was in the Navy, stationed as a small listening post called Kamiseya. We lived there from 1970-1975. The base organized a bus trip to the game, and I went, it was my 9th birthday present. Loved baseball, played little league, my favorite team at that time was the Dodgers, as my parents were both huge Dodger fans. But it was a tepid connection. Once the tour was announced, the Stars and Stripes newspaper had an article about the Orioles almost every day, and I ate it up. It was the beginning of my lifelong addiction to the Orange and Black. When game day came, I remember getting up early and trying to figure out the lineup and starting pitcher they'd use that day. My 9 year old brain was thinking they were going to play this like a world series game. I don't remember too much of the game, other than they won, but they won most of those games. None of the big 4 started, and the only position player I remember for sure was Frank Robinson played left field because my Dad's friend Tom Holstein would yell "Hey Frank quick picking your nose and get out there" every time Frank would saunter out to left field. Over the years, I've been fortunate to talk with Boog Powell, Jim Palmer, and Merv Rettenmund about that tour. The one thing they all said is that they were bloody exhausted, having just come off a full season and a 7 game loss in the World Series.
    • Kjerstad will be given a big chance unless AS comes back. Holliday will get big playing time. Not quite so sure about Mayo unless mounty gets injured. He’s only played like 10 games at first, and not very well. How much do you think he can get done offseason and ST? It’s only 1B so who knows  
    • Yes that is exactly what I said. 
  • Popular Contributors