MASN announcer propaganda

Tony-OH

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is not a criticism, but you are the exact fan this propaganda targets. You don't think you are influenced, but you certainly have been. Is this team better than the horrid team Elias put on the field last year, sure, but he's 4 years into his rebuild and his team is in last place once again with a .415 winning percentage on June 2nd.

So who is coming up from the minors that is going to help this team win this year? Stowers? Perhaps, but what prospect has come up under Elias and done well right away? How much better does Stowers make the Orioles over Mancini or Santander, because that's who he would take PAs from?

Meanwhile he's playing the AAA carousel with AAAA guy like Bannon, Nevin and several pitchers like Lakins, Diplan, Sedlock, Lowther, etc.

The Orioles have controlled the media to the point they now control the narrative. All of the announcers, including Palmer (so disappointing after being a person of reason for so long) are on board to push this exciting narrative. 

Sorry, I don't find it exciting to lose close games because the teams bullpen was mismanaged or your all-star center fielder gives up on a ball he should have caught early in the game that cost the Orioles. 

This team is full of guys who have history of losing. That's what they've done in the minor leagues and what they've done at the major league level. 

This Orioles need a core of players who know how to win. Players who expect to win. Not players who play at .415 baseball but share homer necklaces and point to the dugout after a two out single down by 6 runs in the 9th.

Everyone wants Adley to be on the team. Should have been here a year ago. Now he is here and not hitting people get upset over that. You can’t win. 

I have no expectations for Stowers at all. None. I’m not counting on him. I’m not counting on Henderson to be good off the bat either. 

I came into the season expecting this team to lose 95-100 games. I have never said this is fun to go thru. 

My basic point is if you don’t have a complete team you don’t win. This rotation is not good enough. It’s obvious. That doesn’t mean Hays, Mullins, Adley, Mountcastle etc can be on the next good Orioles team. I’m asking myself is there a legit core to build around with what is already here and what is on the way. I think there is. Maybe I’m wrong. That’s on me if I am. 

Elias can be ripped all day for moves he has made. That’s fine. They have not put any emphasis on winning. You want to argue that’s a joke,  more than fair. The infield is not something to build around but we have seen worse. They are placeholders. The heat will be on him to figure out how to improve it. 

If the argument is this franchise has been too lax about being interested in being a more competitive club sooner that’s more than fair. That has nothing to do with how good or not good they are in 2024. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I only pointed to 2020 because Newman in her best homerism said how much better this team is than the 2020 team (when she started to cover them). I agree that 2020 team was probably much worse than .417.

I'm just very disappointed in the state of the major league team and minor league system 4 years into Elias/Sig's reign.

I thought I saw the light but it appears it's another train coming.

I don’t disagree at all about the announcers. It can be over the top. It’s a theatrical production at times. 

They aren’t announcing they are selling a product. 

53 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I do have some fears of a 2011 repeat. 2010 the team had that great finish under Buck. The position players were building. Added Hardy before 2011. Team started out 6-1, struggled some and then eventually were 30-31. Then they go 17-46 and all the buzz about where the team was headed disappeared. Buck was still popular but no longer a savior. The pitching didn’t keep them competitive. 

They finished strong in September. Added Davis that August and of course Manny was on the way in 12. 

Yes I know the 12 team overachieved based on run differential. That was more so the first half. The whole key was Chen and Hammel. The young arms like Arrieta, Matusz and Hunter all failed as staters. Then in the second half Tillman and Gonzales stepped up. Bottom line is DD added Chen, Hammel and Gonzales. Without them that team goes nowhere. 

Elias needs to dramatically improve the rotation next year. Hopefully Grod will be a big part of that. That doesn’t mean you just bank on him and someone like Hall. Help needs to come from the outside. It’s on the GM.  

Absolutely.  If you told me in 2009 that the 12 Orioles would make the playoffs I would have incorrectly guessed that it was with a rotation of Tillman, Arrieta, Matusz, Garrett Olson (I know, I know) and maybe one low to mid-tier FA.  Turns out, of that group only Tillman was a key cog for half a season.  We can't count on a team of exclusive homegrown prospects to do it.  It just won't happen.   

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And your favorite platform, Twitter, is full of people buying into this.  It’s really incredible to see it.  Social media, as awful as it is, can be an extremely interesting study into the mind of the person.  

I have paid more attention to Os and Ravens talk on Twitter over the last year than I ever did before and it’s really incredible to see how the mind works of some of these people.  

I mean, for years being involved on message boards, you get a good feel of it but the boards I have been on have largely been made up of knowledgeable people.  But the Elias tenure has changed people and while there are plenty of reasons to be positive because of what he and his team has accomplished, the overall big picture is still not great but the way people have bought into it is a sight to see.

Here is the thing though. Nobody is going to the games. It’s not like we are getting great crowds. 

Now there are multiple reasons for that. 

I have found myself having to take breaks at times from Twitter.  I don’t think it speaks to a real cross section of individuals. It’s an echo chamber.  

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Here is the thing though. Nobody is going to the games. It’s not like we are getting great crowds. 

Now there are multiple reasons for that. 

I have found myself having to take breaks at times from Twitter.  I don’t think it speaks to a real cross section of individuals. It’s an echo chamber.  

People are not going, due to the inability of the organization to field a major league ready team.

I know some families are struggling, as their disposable income is reduced by the high cost of gas, and everything else.

22 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

Absolutely.  If you told me in 2009 that the 12 Orioles would make the playoffs I would have incorrectly guessed that it was with a rotation of Tillman, Arrieta, Matusz, Garrett Olson (I know, I know) and maybe one low to mid-tier FA.  Turns out, of that group only Tillman was a key cog for half a season.  We can't count on a team of exclusive homegrown prospects to do it.  It just won't happen.   

I agree. You can’t build a team from just within. Also go back to 2012-16. Markakis arrived in 06, Jones in 08, Wieters in 09, Hardy in 11, Manny in 12. In a perfect world you have 5/6 players at the same age ready to pop at once. It doesn’t work that way. 

Which is why the honeymoon for Elias will not last forever. You don’t rebuild for a decade. 

The entire Elias/Sig regime is getting ready to go through their biggest test. Building up a system is all nice and wonderful it’s about whether you win. 

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t disagree at all about the announcers. It can be over the top. It’s a theatrical production at times. 

They aren’t announcing they are selling a product. 

And honestly, despite my negativity over the state of the franchise, this is my main point. I hate fluff. I hate BS. And I hate propaganda. MASN broadcasts are full of all three. 

The team is better than the bottom barrel crud we've been told we needed to be fed so Elias could build the support system to make this team a consistent winner.

My problem is I'm not seeing the results in the minor leagues this year and the guys who have shown up have not done well. 

Rutschman certainly belongs in the major leagues and anyone arguing against that is an uniformed twitteriot! He'll be better. I said all along I thought he would need time and it's pretty clear he will. 

Its just disappointing that I was right especially when Grayson's injury magnify's Rutschman's lack of success so far.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

People are not going, due to the inability of the organization to field a major league ready team.

I know some families are struggling, as their disposable income is reduced by the high cost of gas, and everything else.

Of course. So you are saying the obvious. It’s about winning. Plus the other factors you mentioned. 

People who are 100% behind the rebuild are more likely to be vocal than someone who is more wait and see. 

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So who is coming up from the minors that is going to help this team win this year? Stowers? Perhaps, but what prospect has come up under Elias and done well right away? How much better does Stowers make the Orioles over Mancini or Santander, because that's who he would take PAs from?

Meanwhile he's playing the AAA carousel with AAAA guy like Bannon, Nevin and several pitchers like Lakins, Diplan, Sedlock, Lowther, etc.

The Orioles have controlled the media to the point they now control the narrative. All of the announcers, including Palmer (so disappointing after being a person of reason for so long) are on board to push this exciting narrative. 

Sorry, I don't find it exciting to lose close games because the teams bullpen was mismanaged or your all-star center fielder gives up on a ball he should have caught early in the game that cost the Orioles. 

This team is full of guys who have history of losing. That's what they've done in the minor leagues and what they've done at the major league level. 

This Orioles need a core of players who know how to win. Players who expect to win. Not players who play at .415 baseball but share homer necklaces and point to the dugout after a two out single down by 6 runs in the 9th.

Excellent excellent post~Elias has had lots of time to show results and what we see, is what we have (a flawed draft strategy doesn't help the development)): A franchise that has no serious intentions of competing in the near future (likely until new ownership arrives). 

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And your favorite platform, Twitter, is full of people buying into this.  It’s really incredible to see it.  Social media, as awful as it is, can be an extremely interesting study into the mind of the person.  

I have paid more attention to Os and Ravens talk on Twitter over the last year than I ever did before and it’s really incredible to see how the mind works of some of these people.  

I mean, for years being involved on message boards, you get a good feel of it but the boards I have been on have largely been made up of knowledgeable people.  But the Elias tenure has changed people and while there are plenty of reasons to be positive because of what he and his team has accomplished, the overall big picture is still not great but the way people have bought into it is a sight to see.

Twitteriots are the absolute worse. They are so embarrassingly bad.

I get that fans are hungry for something to be excite about. We all are. it's just become increasingly obvious to me that we may not be nearly as close to winning again as we thought. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

And honestly, despite my negativity over the state of the franchise, this is my main point. I hate fluff. I hate BS. And I hate propaganda. MASN broadcasts are full of all three. 

The team is better than the bottom barrel crud we've been told we needed to be fed so Elias could build the support system to make this team a consistent winner.

My problem is I'm not seeing the results in the minor leagues this year and the guys who have shown up have not done well. 

Rutschman certainly belongs in the major leagues and anyone arguing against that is an uniformed twitteriot! He'll be better. I said all along I thought he would need time and it's pretty clear he will. 

Its just disappointing that I was right especially when Grayson's injury magnify's Rutschman's lack of success so far.

It’s a massive problem not just with the Orioles but in all aspects of life. 

I’m far from perfect but I believe in honesty. I’ll never forget years ago Scott Garceau told a story about Art Modell. He said Art told him to tell it like it is. He didn’t want Scott sugarcoating things. Don’t be afraid to be critical. 

It’s insulting to people’s intelligence to see what we see. I think in general the Orioles were up front about the rebuild. That doesn’t mean you have to deflect every time a mistake is made on the field. Just be honest. That’s all. 

I’m not as down as you are about the minors. The two I have an eye on are Cowser and Westburg. 

On an almost weekly basis there's a new thread trying to cobble together a roster of MiL players and a few current ML guys. That is the group that the broadcasts and writers are geared towards. 

The state of the O's is beyond the handful of players in the Minors. At some point Elias will need to add legitimate talent... which I trust he's capable of. The problem is, everything that we are seeing is indicative of ownership either not having money, or an unwillingness to spend. Either way, it's a problem that doesn't seem to be going away and we as fans try to convince ourselves that next year is the year... and the next..

20 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Excellent excellent post~Elias has had lots of time to show results and what we see, is what we have (a flawed draft strategy doesn't help the development)): A franchise that has no serious intentions of competing in the near future (likely until new ownership arrives). 

You think even the most tolerant defenders of the rebuild will defend this forever? 

I don’t see a flawed draft strategy at all. It makes sense to me to build with a position core. Now once again, you need to pick the right players. 

If they have no serious intentions of competing in the near future then when are they? 

Over the last 30 days the O's offense has the 4th highest scoring team in the AL with 4.36 runs per games.   4th is a playoff caliber offense.

The O's pen so far this season has the 5th best ERA in the AL with a 3.19 ERA.  Again  a playoff caliber pen.

However the O's starters are 14th in the AL with a 4.95 ERA.  Tyler Wells is doing well with a 3.71 ERA but the other starters are 4.50 ERA or worse.   Grayson is supposed to help the O's improve the starting pitching but that is now delayed.  Kremer is next man up.  Lets see what he can do.

As we saw in May when Moutcastle, Hays and Mateo went down at the same time there is not a lot of depth in the offense.    Stowers could help that some when he is ready. The O's can rotate the three outfielders, Mancini and Mouncastle with Stowers giving each a day off every 5 days.   That puts one of them on the bench.

Screaming and yelling about Owings being on the team is a waste of time.  He doesn't play enough to  have a real impact on the offense and he plays well enough defensive to not bring the defense down.

I think there should be some concern about Adley throwing.  If the O's are going to play close games they can't be having their catchers throwing the ball into centerfield on a regular basis.   Adley offense is not a big concern at this point to me.  It will just take a little time for him to adjust to major league pitching.

As far as MASN hyping their product,   pretty much every team does that and if they don't we should be asking why they are not.

42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I really do not disagree with any of this...but if Adley were hitting .350 in 49 at bats your opinion would likely be different.  Let's give him 200 at bats and see where he is.

Edit to clarify and say your opinion may not really change, but the perspective would definitely be different.