MASN announcer propaganda

Tony-OH

37 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ah, so that's what it is.  It's about you, the work you put in and people disagreeing with you and you taking it personally.  Or you not getting enough credit when you're correct.

For the record, I actually agree with you when it comes to what we thought we should see by now.  I agree that there are some nuggets on offense but the pitching leaves much to be desired.  Like I said, I do believe we're a step up from the types of guys were were trotting out in '18-'20 but it's still a far cry from where we need to be.  Hence why I said MAYBE about that trio of pitchers because I certainly don't think any of them are a 100% lock to be here.  

I got into a twitter spat a few days ago with some of the chodes from one of the other Orioles sites about how Zach Peek is a guy to watch out for.  Like, c'mon, seriously?  There's certainly a segment of the fanbase that thinks anyone in the system can turn out to be a contributor of the next good team and it is annoying.  

No, it has nothing to do with that but thanks for trying to turn it around. Go back to your snarky schtick. I'll conversate with people who want to debate with facts.

• Upvote 1

To me, I'm not surprised that the MASN broadcast has their talking points. The network is run by the Orioles and exists solely to broadcast Orioles (and I guess Nationals) games too. So I'm not bothered when Melanie Newman or Ben MacDonald talk about the homerun chain or Call of Duty celebration. It's certainly more entertaining than a team of non-emoting androids, but not as fun as a winning team.

As for Elias, I've felt that this is the last "punt" year for me. As in the last year that we "see what we have" in the minors before starting to add to the team. Unfortunately some injuries have slowed that, but at this point, it's ride or die with the offense we have. We have to hope that Rodriguez hits and Hall or Bradish turn into a valuable starter with the other being a valuable reliever.

Henderson and Westberg will be up next year, and they'll need to probably replace Mancini. But this off-season they need to at least start adding real pieces to fix the holes. I seriously doubt we contend in 2023, but a 2024 playoff appearance should be the target. It won't happen unless they are proactive. Will they be? I don't know, but is it possible? Sure.

I style myself more pro-Elias than anti at the moment, but like I said, if things don't change by next year, that could change.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Tampa is certainly on a whole other level, but I see rookies all over the place show up and do well right away. Not Orioles prospects. For all the development we're hearing about with technology, who has been developed by Elias and shown up and done well with the Orioles at the major league level?

Rutschman, 24, was the first draft pick who was developed by Elias' staff. I think he's going to eventually be fine, but he was not rushed to the major leagues and he's started off slashing .163/.265/.233/.498 in his first 49 PAs.

Kyle Bradish , 26, was basically developed by Elias's crew, he's put up a 6.82 ERA in his first 7 starts over 33 IP.

So really the two top prospects that have been developed by Elias are not young, were not rushed, neither have dine very well at the major league level right away. Now they both may still end up quality major leaguers, but why are his prospects not prepared to do well right away when they are promoted to the show?

Are they the only top prospects to struggle initially around baseball, absolutely not, but maybe just have one show up and do well right away?

Adley going to "be fine"

What does that mean?

I'm not sure who scouted him, but what I see is a guy with a massive upper cut, and I'm struggling to imagine him ever hitting over .250 in the minors. So far his throwing has been a negative (2 errors resulted in two runs), and I don't give a rats ass about pitch framing or being a good guy in the locker room.

9 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Adley going to "be fine"

What does that mean?

I'm not sure who scouted him, but what I see is a guy with a massive upper cut, and I'm struggling to imagine him ever hitting over .250 in the minors. So far his throwing has been a negative (2 errors resulted in two runs), and I don't give a rats ass about pitch framing or being a good guy in the locker room.

Good Lord, so much to pick apart here.

Let's start with his minor league slash over 778 minor league PAs at .282/.391/.488/.878 including a .295/.399/.480/.879 in 238 AAA PAs so not sure what you are talking about him not hitting over .250.

Right now his EV, Hard hit%, and sweet spot% percentage are all over major league average and he's major league average in K and BB %. His expected BA, SLG and wOBA are all higher than actual numbers so he's been a bit unlucky. 

Now, does he have things to work on offensively, certainly. Right now he's struggling badly with changeups and breaking pitches to a lesser extent and his approach may need to be adjusted for the major leagues unless he can become an above average two-strike hitter. 67% of his PAs have gotten to two strikes. That's way too many. He's got to learn to be more aggressive earlier in counts because pitchers are not going to make as many mistakes in the majors, particularly with two strikes.

Defensively? One of his throwing errors should have been caught by a good infielder but Owings was covering and missed the one hopper. He's got a quick release and plenty or arm strength. He'll need to work on accuracy but throwing is not going to be a big issue. 

As for pitch framing, if he qualified, he would be the 2nd best framer in baseball right now. 

Adley is going to be just fine when he adjusts to major league pitching.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Good Lord, so much to pick apart here.

Let's start with his minor league slash over 778 minor league PAs at .282/.391/.488/.878 including a .295/.399/.480/.879 in 238 AAA PAs so not sure what you are talking about him not hitting over .250.

Right now his EV, Hard hit%, and sweet spot% percentage are all over major league average and he's major league average in K and BB %. His expected BA, SLG and wOBA are all higher than actual numbers so he's been a bit unlucky. 

Now, does he have things to work on offensively, certainly. Right now he's struggling badly with changeups and breaking pitches to a lesser extent and his approach may need to be adjusted for the major leagues unless he can become an above average two-strike hitter. 67% of his PAs have gotten to two strikes. That's way too many. He's got to learn to be more aggressive earlier in counts because pitchers are not going to make as many mistakes in the majors, particularly with two strikes.

Defensively? One of his throwing errors should have been caught by a good infielder but Owings was covering and missed the one hopper. He's got a quick release and plenty or arm strength. He'll need to work on accuracy but throwing is not going to be a big issue. 

As for pitch framing, if he qualified, he would be the 2nd best framer in baseball right now. 

Adley is going to be just fine when he adjusts to major league pitching.

I am a little concerned that the arm injury this spring may change his throwing from what it was to what it is.

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Can’t remember how many times this year I have seen cliches like “that’s a game they don’t win last year”.  It might be the dumbest cliche ever in sports because teams win “games like that” every damn year.  Big comebacks, pitching duels, etc…it always happens.

People keep saying how exciting this team is.  Is it?  There are no SP you get amped to watch except maybe Bradish .  Most of the players on the team you only get excited about because they are Orioles.  It’s not that the player is some overly exciting guy and can carry a franchise. 

But hey, when the goal is to lose and you choose (yes this is a choice by ownership) to not spend and to not out a good product on the field, this is what you get.  I was the crazy one for thinking they should be trying to win in 2022 and that money should be spent.  I guess I’m just impatient.  Oh well.

Oh come on SG... you have to admit "the ball has been coming out of our pitcher's hands really nice" this year.  And, even in defeat, the team is "leaving it all on the field."  They definitely have "come to play" and are constantly "giving 110 percent."  I can't believe you can't see how "this team is making a statement."   😂

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Oh come on SG... you have to admit "the ball has been coming out of our pitcher's hands really nice" this year.  And, even in defeat, the team is "leaving it all on the field."  They definitely have "come to play" and are constantly "giving 110 percent."  I can't believe you can't see how "this team is making a statement."   😂

There's a lot of good "clubhouse chemistry" too. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I am a little concerned that the arm injury this spring may change his throwing from what it was to what it is.

It looked plenty quick and strong on the two throws yesterday just one wasn't handled by Owings.

2 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Lol, that's all it takes for some people to get pumped up. Good bless them. I've never been that kind of fan though. I was the 12 year old kid who yelled at John Lowenstein from the upper deck of Memorial Stadium in the final series of 1982 against the Brewers when he misplayed a fly ball in game one of the Friday night doubleheader! :D

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Lol, that's all it takes for some people to get pumped up. Good bless them. I've never been that kind of fan though. I was the 12 year old kid who yelled at John Lowenstein from the upper deck of Memorial Stadium in the final series of 1982 against the Brewers when he misplayed a fly ball in game one of the Friday night doubleheader! :D

And "Brother Low" had it coming!  😂

• Haha 1