Comparing the 2020 and 2022 Orioles to date (both 25-35)

Frobby

4 minutes ago, Orioles4Life21 said:

I remember folks here back in 2011 who thought we were still a long way away from contending.

Tony makes some very valid points, especially regarding the Angelos situation, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Aside from injuries and Adley’s slow start, I’ve been encouraged by what I’ve seen on the field this season. Hope we can take another leap next season.

Let's see if Elias can pull off a Wei-Yin Chen and a Jason Hammel.

Folks do remember how the 2011 Orioles were supposed to be pretty decent right?  After Buck showed up in 2010 and they went on that run?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Folks do remember how the 2011 Orioles were supposed to be pretty decent right?  After Buck showed up in 2010 and they went on that run?

Yes I do recall myself confidently projecting us to snap the losing streak in 2011 lol.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes and the SP didn’t allow that to happen. 

I see many similarities to now. 

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

Yeah, this is just way too negative for me.

For one, the major league team is better.  The 2020 team was a small sample fluke, propped up by a bunch of older guys who weren't instrumental to the future.

The improvement in the 2022 team is almost solely driven by guys who factor into the future.

And the idea that nobody is on the cusp to help improve more is overstatement.  Adley just got here.  He's not even hitting 200 yet.  The Grod injury sucks, but the man didn't die.  He should be impacting wins and losses by April at the latest.  Hall probably gets up this summer.  Stowers, Henderson, and Westburg are all at AAA.

The fruits of the rebuild haven't even reached the majors with the exception of 3 weeks of Adley Rutschman.

Now the core of your point- Is this going to be enough to return to contention in 24 months?- is unknowable.

I'm certain we'll have to add to the team from outside the organization.  I'm not certain that is going to take the form of top of the market FA signings.

I agree with most everything in this post.  But I’ll add this: I never expected the O’s could contend without adding significant outside talent.  They have put themselves in excellent position to do so because their payroll is low.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree with most everything in this post.  But I’ll add this: I never expected the O’s could contend without adding significant outside talent.  They have put themselves in excellent position to do so because their payroll is low.

I hate these kind of semantic arguments about what does "significant" mean.

My position is this:

They're going to have to add talent.

Those acquisitions will have to impact W-Ls more than the 5th guy in the pen or the Util IF.

But I do not believe they'll have to dole out  a 100+ million FA contract in order to do that.

Others have brought up 2012.  It's a fair point.  Elias is going to have to find some outside SP most likely.  Ok, well 2012-16 should show why that doesn't necessarily coincide with big FA signings. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t see how you can say we don’t have a bunch of impact talent on the cusp when seven of our top ten prospects are either in Norfolk or just breaking into the majors. 

.500 or better should be the goal for next season and annual contention after that. Of course, they will have to spend some in free agency like most teams with contention aspirations do. 

Adding two quality starting pitchers via free agency or trade should not be an insurmountable task. 

I think the differences between 2020 and 2022 are night and day, despite the identical record. 2020 had Jose Iglesias playing way over his head, DJ Stewart putting up an .800 OPS, etc. This year I don't think anyone except a couple of bullpen guys are really putting together something unsustainable, and naturally I expect Rutschman to adjust, and our best prospects are now in AAA.

I always expected some spending to have to happen to be competitive.... no Correas, but maybe a #3 starter, a league-average everyday infielder, and an upgraded bench, so that we don't need the Tyler Nevins of the world to fill in. If our payroll goes from dead last to 25-35 percentile, then that could be good enough to compete. That's lower than the good Duquette teams, which were around 50 percentile. The Angelos feud is what puts this into question, but so far, I'm not so pessimistic that we can't spend enough to fill in a couple holes.

1 minute ago, Beysbol said:

I don't understand. Justin Verlander said the Orioles offered Correa 10 years 300 million last year. Was he making this up? I read it in an article. 

Why would Justin Verlander be making public statements about contract offers made to Correa? 

That seems like a really bad idea.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Why would Justin Verlander be making public statements about contract offers made to Correa? 

That seems like a really bad idea.

That's true, but I want to know if the Orioles did, in fact, offer him that? 

5 minutes ago, Beysbol said:

Here's the article about the Orioles deal to Carlos Correa. I posted it before, but nobody ever commented to whether this was true or not. 

https://clutchpoints.com/orioles-news-carlos-correas-massive-offer-from-baltimore-revealed/

Oh, BEN Verlander.

Big difference.

Going by the fact my Anti-virus kicked off when I opened that website I'm not trusting their reporting.

I don't think, with what we know of what has been going on behind the scenes, that the O's made an offer of that magnitude.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh, BEN Verlander.

Big difference.

Going by the fact my Anti-virus kicked off when I opened that website I'm not trusting their reporting.

Oh, ok. I read it wrong. I was confused as to why the Orioles offered him that, but he never signed. 🤣

7 minutes ago, Beysbol said:

Here's the article about the Orioles deal to Carlos Correa. I posted it before, but nobody ever commented to whether this was true or not. 

https://clutchpoints.com/orioles-news-carlos-correas-massive-offer-from-baltimore-revealed/

Like Corn said it was reported by Ben Verlander of Fox Sports and I remember when this came out in March.

And Verlander only retweeted it from the originating source Raul Ramos. I didn’t believe it then and don’t believe it now.