Ballparks you would LEAST like to Visit.

Jagwar

I think my first reaction is The Trop, but it's almost got such a reputation now, like a terrible movie, I almost do want to sit through a game in it, just because...maybe I'm a sadist. 

I have no interest in going to The Coliseum. Really no interest in Minute Maid Park either, it just seems to me like it was designed to be a shopping mall...honestly any of the domed stadiums if the domes are closed I have no interest in watching a game there.

Also, I will say, Coors Field is pretty awesome, if only for the sky and view. I wouldn't write it off. 

27 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I think my first reaction is The Trop, but it's almost got such a reputation now, like a terrible movie, I almost do want to sit through a game in it, just because...maybe I'm a sadist. 

I have no interest in going to The Coliseum. Really no interest in Minute Maid Park either, it just seems to me like it was designed to be a shopping mall...honestly any of the domed stadiums if the domes are closed I have no interest in watching a game there.

Also, I will say, Coors Field is pretty awesome, if only for the sky and view. I wouldn't write it off. 

Good call on the Coliseum. That place seems like a concrete monstrosity. 

Not too interested in Comiskey, the last of the pre-OPACY stadiums to be built.   But make no mistake, I’d gladly visit any major league park and see a game.   I did see a game at the Colliseum back in 1981 or so.  The place was so empty I started heckling Rickey Henderson and he glared at me.   It’s a dump, to be sure.  Tropicana is in a nice part of St. Pete so at least there are things to do near the stadium.  I haven’t been inside the stadium though.  

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

A's, Tampa.  Comiskey.  

I'm kinda with Frobby though, I'd go to them just to say I went and saw a game but these three are low on my list.

I was fairly unimpressed with Great American Ballpark when I went.

I used to date a girl from Cincinnati (I know it sounds like the start to a Johnny Cash song...) and we went to a few Reds games, always parked on the Kentucky side because it was free at some bar over there, and walked over the bridge, and for some reason I thought that was neat. Her dad was high up in CincinnatiBell, when that was still a thing, and got us tickets right behind the visitor dugout on the third base side, we could rest our feet on the dugout, which is the closest I've ever been to a major league field in terms of seats for a game. The Reds were playing the Padres and Oscar Salazar was playing for SD, but had recently played for the O's for about half a second and put up some SSS big numbers. I recognized him and yelled down at him and he actually stood on the step and talked to us (in broken english and my broken spanish) for a few moments between innings and I thought it was the coolest thing. So GABP will always have a soft spot in my heart for that, best seats I've ever had at a MLB game. 

• Upvote 1

I've been to New Comiskey and the Trop Dome, both very shortly after each ballpark opened.  New Comiskey was pretty much an old style ballpark, with a very steep upper deck like Memorial or Shea.   But it was the first ballpark I had ever seen where you could watch the game from the lower concourse, something OPACY did not add the next year but a lot of subsequent ballparks have.

Went to the Trop when we took a friend to Tampa for his bachelor party, I think in the first year of the Rays' existence or perhaps the 2nd.  Was very weird watching indoor baseball, though I have been to plenty of domed football stadiums and did not find that as weird.  Very sterile environment, pretty much forgettable, have no desire to go back.

Like everyone else, I have no interest in visiting the Oakland Coliseum.   That is pretty much the only ballpark that I have not been to that I don't care to visit.   I'd like to see all the others just to see what the environment, view, etc is like.   No need to do that for Oakland, I've been to plenty of stadiums with that style (Memorial, Municipal come to mind) and it's condition is pretty bad.

1 hour ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I used to date a girl from Cincinnati (I know it sounds like the start to a Johnny Cash song...) and we went to a few Reds games, always parked on the Kentucky side because it was free at some bar over there, and walked over the bridge, and for some reason I thought that was neat. Her dad was high up in CincinnatiBell, when that was still a thing, and got us tickets right behind the visitor dugout on the third base side, we could rest our feet on the dugout, which is the closest I've ever been to a major league field in terms of seats for a game. The Reds were playing the Padres and Oscar Salazar was playing for SD, but had recently played for the O's for about half a second and put up some SSS big numbers. I recognized him and yelled down at him and he actually stood on the step and talked to us (in broken english and my broken spanish) for a few moments between innings and I thought it was the coolest thing. So GABP will always have a soft spot in my heart for that, best seats I've ever had at a MLB game. 

I dunno what it was about it, I just didn't care for it.  This was a really long time ago, Griffey Jr was on the Reds, Prince Fielder was on the Brewers.

I think the thing that I remembered most is that every square inch of the place seemed to have advertisements on it.  I mean, it certainly wasn't a dump, it just wasn't nice.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno what it was about it, I just didn't care for it.  This was a really long time ago, Griffey Jr was on the Reds, Prince Fielder was on the Brewers.

I think the thing that I remembered most is that every square inch of the place seemed to have advertisements on it.  I mean, it certainly wasn't a dump, it just wasn't nice.  

I'll be honest, I don't really have much to think of it other than my experiences in swanky seats and staring at the random steamboat/bar section and thinking it as a very bizarre addition to the general atmosphere. It's pretty generic, and oddly confined, it is certainly one of the smaller MLB ballparks I've been to. 

Absolutely nothing to do about GABP, but I went to a Nats games when they were still playing at RFK and it was the most bizarre baseball game I had ever witnessed, everything was oddly symmetrical and round, and there was no good spot to actually watch the game. I have to imagine watching a game at the Coliseum is similar, it just didn't really compute as a ballpark.

I've been to 21 different MLB parks - RFK stadium, Dolphin Stadium, and 3 Rivers Stadium were by far the worst. The worst existing parks that I've been to are Tropicana field and Sun Life Stadium (Miami).

Least like to visit?

Oakland Coliseum - It has to be the worst professional sporting facility in the US. 
New Yankee Stadium - Everyone I know that's been there says its a giant (expensive) shopping mall with a field inside. 

I went to Marlins Park a few years ago when the Clevelander nightclub was still out in left field.  All I really remember is that it was little leaguer day and the Clevelander had almost naked women dancing on tabletops and you definitely could see them from the field/stands.   My wife said “well, its Miami.”

Maybe OPACY can add Club Chez Joey to Eutaw Street. 

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I've been to the Nationals Ballpark and I'm not impressed by it. The only reason I would go see a game there is to watch the Orioles play the Nats or to watch a specific NL team that isn't visiting OPACY. 

Nats Park. I like the open concourses. Beyond that its a visually unappealing, and very expensive place to catch a ballgame. The surrounding area near the ballpark has finally been developed after 14 years, but I can't imagine any of it aging well. 

Saw the Orioles at Tampa last year, first time seeing them as the visitors. I was prepared to hate The Trop, but was pleasantly surprised. It was an afternoon game where the outside temp was 96 degrees with 90% humidity, but inside it was very comfortable. No worries about sunburn or heat related issues, or if there was rain on the horizon that might delay or cancel the game. Rays' fans and the ushers were supportive, friendly and talkative, even after they beat us in a walk off. During the game I had no problem with visibility or following the ball in flight. It looks dark on television, but I guess your eyes adjust because it all just seemed normal (like a night game, I suppose) once play started. We'll be going back to the Trop in August for a weekend series, and hopefully we can take 'em this time. 

I've seen a handful of games at Comerica Park over the years, and pretty much hate the place. The seating (especially in the mezzanine and upper deck) is so far from the field you may as well be in the parking lot. Maybe it's the distances involved, or the backdrops, but when I've seen games there I always have a problem following the ball in flight. I see the pitch, hear the crack of the bat, and then the ball is invisible to me until a fielder gloves it. I wind up having to watch the fielders react so as to tell where the ball is going, and it's very frustrating. Never had that problem at any other major or minor league park. 

One odd side not wrt Comerica Park -- last time we went there our driver (who is elderly and infirm) was able to park our SUV in a handicapped spot fifty feet from the stadium's front gate. As she turned off the engine a police officer stepped up to her window and ordered everybody to stay in the car. He and a colleague then walked around the vehicle while searching the undercarriage with mirrors on long poles. When they were finished they instructed all of us to exit, after which they searched the inside of the car. When they were done we were allowed to lock the car and enter the stadium.