Former 1st rounder DFA-ed

NelsonCruuuuuz

8 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

OBP is very very important, you don’t just unload guys like that to bring up an unproven commodity (at ml level) if you are serious about winning. Plus, I think you would be selling low on Santander: I think he is going to have monster seasons in the years ahead. Just my .02. I love Hays but he has an injury history  so might consider moving him too (despite being really good). All depends on package you get for Santander & Hays.  You could always trade Stowers too.

Santander is 27, he’s old for the core, he’s in his arb years, and he’s getting expensive. Stowers got through the minors with a high 800s OPS in 2 seasons. He has all of his control intact and the bigger named guys are on the charge as well. BTW, Stowers minor league OBP is in the .350s.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Santander is 27, he’s old for the core, he’s in his arb years, and he’s getting expensive. Stowers got through the minors with a high 800s OPS in 2 seasons. He has all of his control intact and the bigger named guys are on the charge as well. BTW, Stowers minor league OBP is in the .350s.

Impressive obp indeed but doesn’t guarantee success in the majors but agreed that is likely the move for cost considerations 

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Impressive obp indeed but doesn’t guarantee success in the majors but agreed that is likely the move for cost considerations 

And based on the fact that Cowser and now Kjerstad are coming fast. It would be more valuable to trade Stowers as a young big league player rather than a buried prospect. 

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

Dillon Tate too! 

It’s early but Kremer looks like a winner,  Tate also but you’d would’ve liked if he made it as a starter, Zimmerman has shown flashed and is LH so there is reason to be optimistic, Diaz is OPSing .780 at Norfolk and it would be optimistic to say the least to think we ever get anything out of him.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

And based on the fact that Cowser and now Kjerstad are coming fast. It would be more valuable to trade Stowers as a young big league player rather than a buried prospect. 

You make sense. It is a tough decision (tough decisions) indeed. I just think Santander is on the verge of a blockbuster year or two, superstar break. Could I be wrong? Of course! Tough decisions there.

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

You make sense. It is a tough decision (tough decisions) indeed. I just think Santander is on the verge of a blockbuster year or two, superstar break. Could I be wrong? Of course! Tough decisions there.

My only thought is his low (sub .250)BA. His OBP is .329 so if he say even a 30 point increase on both would be considerable. His swing looks long at times and it appears to me that he has trouble turning on the bal. The other concern is his defense. I fully expect an outfield of better fielders than him soon. Could he split DH with Adley (on his days off behind the plate) and play the field 1 or 2 times per week as the 4/5 th OF? I just don’t see any way he’s not outta here in the next season or two. I’d be very surprised if he’s still here next month. It’s not that I don’t like him….I just think we have better that’s pretty close. And Stowers needs a chance to prove it very soon. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

My only thought is his low (sub .250)BA. His OBP is .329 so if he say even a 30 point increase on both would be considerable. His swing looks long at times and it appears to me that he has trouble turning on the bal. The other concern is his defense. I fully expect an outfield of better fielders than him soon. Could he split DH with Adley (on his days off behind the plate) and play the field 1 or 2 times per week as the 4/5 th OF? I just don’t see any way he’s not outta here in the next season or two. I’d be very surprised if he’s still here next month. It’s not that I don’t like him….I just think we have better that’s pretty close. And Stowers needs a chance to prove it very soon. 

Good points all around. Santander's defense is def his weakest point but he has improved (albeit huge step down from Hays, Mullins, McKenna). Be interesting to see what  they do.