We are up. Who do you want for pick 81, and who do you think they will take?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

If that’s the case, why go cheaper in the first round the last 2 years.  2020 makes sense to an extent.  Cowser (and I really like him) over Lawlar I just don’t buy. 

So if your model says cheaper is better in the later rounds, why go cheap early?

Why do you not buy it? Lawlar went 6th. They weren't the only team that passed on him. Same with Martin.

26 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Why do you not buy it? Lawlar went 6th. They weren't the only team that passed on him. Same with Martin.

And I believe other teams also passed on BPA for salary reasons.  

This is always talked about during the process..the idea of saving money early to spend later.  Lots of teams do it.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not asking for them to reach for someone they don’t like.  Just using Porter as an example.  

The main point is that they don’t go much overslot and it’s fair to ask why.  Yes, they did it with Mayo and Baumler but when else?

In 2020, the Os had just under 14M to spend.  This year, through the same number of rounds, they had just under 16M.  This year saw them get one more player, who’s value was about 1.1M

In 2020, Haskin and Westburg signed for slot.  Kjerstad underslot and Servideo, Mayo and Baumler got overslot.  Mayo and Baumler got  a lot more than slot.  

I know people will point to Willems last year but I don’t believe that was a plan.  I think they realized they had money left over and just took a shot at that kid.  Why didn’t they do it earlier?

You had the money.  

End of the day, I’m glad they took their guy 1..that makes this a moot point in a lot of ways for me.  However, they had the money to go bigger later and they chose not to.  Is that simply a product of their model believing in the “cheaper guys” more? And if so, why go underslot early when you don’t need to later?

Im very interested in the process and how they come about these decisions.  Clearly ownership isn’t allowing them to go over the draft pool budget, which is unfortunate but even without it, they still had plenty of money to do something and get better talent.  

My biggest issue with this draft is the Fabian pick but again, at least there is upside with it.

Kind of coincidence that they had a Texas HS kid, not highly, highly regarded, in for a workout at OPACY before the draft and they just threw money at him out of desperation in the 8th round.   Kind of sounds to me that he was either plan A, B, or C.   Not Z.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Kind of coincidence that they had a Texas HS kid, not highly, highly regarded, in for a workout at OPACY before the draft and they just threw money at him out of desperation in the 8th round.   Kind of sounds to me that he was either plan A, B, or C.   Not Z.

Any idea how many kids they bring in?

Could be dozens for all I know.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It will stop if Lawlar starts to struggle and Martin gets hot.

Martin's had two years.   He's in AAA with a .691 OPS.   Stranger things have happened but I doubt it.

Lawlar?   23 errors in 47 games at SS and off to a slow start at high A.   Hmmmmm.    Stranger things have happened.

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

It is kind of funny to me that the people who hate Elias's draft strategy never complain anymore that we didn't take Austin Martin second overall

I don’t like that Elias seems to have put pitching on the back burner. The thing about Martin is he’s more of a table setter and Cowser is a power bat. Neither is currently lighting it up. Cowser was on fire at their current level. Looking at Martin he is either being  coached differently or his psyche has been affected due to the fact that the Blue traded him. His drop off was substantial.

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If they wanted him so bad, why would you risk him being gone and wait until the 8th round?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

If they wanted him so bad, why would you risk him being gone and wait until the 8th round?

Ah, you're moving the goalposts.   I asked you first.   What are the odds they asked a HS catcher to OPACY for a workout unless he was in their plans come draft time.  I'm not saying he was plan A but they certainly were seriously interested in him and I doubt they invited just anyone from around the country in for workouts especially when he wasn't even considered a 1st or 2nd round talent.

Why the 8th round?   I don't know.   Why not?    Apparently no one else was going to draft him once it got past the 3rd or 4th round so there was no hurry.   I guess they wanted to make sure they got Burns and whoever was in the 7th and knew Willems would be there.      

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ah, you're moving the goalposts.   I asked you first.   What are the odds they asked a HS catcher to OPACY for a workout unless he was in their plans come draft time.  I'm not saying he was plan A but they certainly were seriously interested in him and I doubt they invited just anyone from around the country in for workouts especially when he wasn't even considered a 1st or 2nd round talent.

Why the 8th round?   I don't know.   Why not?    Apparently no one else was going to draft him once it got past the 3rd or 4th round so there was no hurry.   I guess they wanted to make sure they got Burns and whoever was in the 7th and knew Willems would be there.      

Well I think they do have a lot of guys in and I do think they liked Willems and his EV numbers.  But I do think he was down the list and wasn’t close to one of the top plans, thus why they took a flyer in round 8.

And you never know that a player will be there.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well I think they do have a lot of guys in and I do think they liked Willems and his EV numbers.  But I do think he was down the list and wasn’t close to one of the top plans, thus why they took a flyer in round 8.

And you never know that a player will be there.  

You think the cheapskate Orioles fly in a lot of players from around the country into Baltimore for workouts at OPACY?    I don't.