Draft Signings

1 hour ago, dabirds said:

I heard that too Frobby, but I think he misspoke.  He said Mclean and Showalter signed, but those are actually the ones who havent…

Yeah they made a couple of mistakes last night.  They also said that Texas, instead of Arizona, was going to be disappointed that Druw Jones was out for the year. 

2 hours ago, dabirds said:

I heard that too Frobby, but I think he misspoke.  He said Mclean and Showalter signed, but those are actually the ones who havent…

There was an awkward Tweet that came out that listed the guys in a jpg below as signing then the guy listed the players who had not signed yet in the text. i thought they were signed too until I read closer.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Does it appear unlikely to get McLean, Showalter, Young and Walters all signed?

Very unlikely.  McLean and Showalter are likely unless they fail physicals.  In fact, I think the Young and Walter's picks were backup plans if Showalter failed his physical.  We'll see.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

Very unlikely.  McLean and Showalter are likely unless they fail physicals.  In fact, I think the Young and Walter's picks were backup plans if Showalter failed his physical.  We'll see.

I guess Showalter gets over $1 million then?

Just now, RZNJ said:

Assuming slot for McLean, they have about $1.6M to spend on Showalter, Walters and Young assuming they spend the full 5% overallotment and are willing to pay the ~$600k tax/penalty. I hope they go for it and try to get all three, but for $1.6M they should be able to get two of those guys at least. 

12 minutes ago, terpfan101 said:

Assuming slot for McLean, they have about $1.6M to spend on Showalter, Walters and Young assuming they spend the full 5% overallotment and are willing to pay the ~$600k tax/penalty. I hope they go for it and try to get all three, but for $1.6M they should be able to get two of those guys at least. 

I have no idea but I can guess that Young would require the most our of those 3.  I have a hard time believing that the price tag for all three is in the 500K range.  I'm guessing Showalter is an 800K minimum.   Maybe the same for Walters.  Young I think has the highest price tag.  Probably above 1M and around 1.5M.  Total guesses on my part.

The question is, did these players advisors tell the Orioles they were signable at a certain number before they were picked.  I'd have to guess yes on that one.  I think Showalter signs and maybe Walter. 

Edited by RZNJ

Just now, RZNJ said:

I have no idea but I can guess that Young would require the most our of those 3.  I have a hard time believing that the price tag for all three is in the 500K range.  I'm guessing Showalter is an 800K minimum.   Maybe the same for Walters.  Young I think has the highest price tag.  Probably above 1M and around 1.5M.  Total guesses on my part.

Wow. That seems like crazy money on Young.

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Wow. That seems like crazy money on Young.

At one point he was considered a potential top ten pick in the entire draft. I think he believes he can get back too 100% physically this offseason and be a first round pick next year.   

Any speculation on McLean?  Under/over slot?  

The 1.6 million should include the 125k for each that doesn't count against us.  So we should be able to spend 1.975 million amongst Showalter, Walters, and Young.  Spread out evenly, that's late 3rd round money.  If I had to choose only two it would be Young and Showalter.  That would be around 1 million a piece which is low 2nd rd money.  

Hopefully, we get McLean to take a haircut and bring in all three of those guys.  

58 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Agree that they wanted to have extra guys to throw money at, so they aren't left with extra slot money on the books or if someone fails a medical.  So, may as well have someone good queued up as plan B.

But why do you think they lean toward Showalter of the 3 after the 10th pick?  I would try to get him signed before any of the other 2 guys. 

To speculate some more:  Maybe Young was a true medical plan B (i.e. they had a ton of leftover money) so they never expected to sign him otherwise?    Maybe having Walter is team leverage in the negotiations with Young?

I would guess with Holiday officially signed, the Showalter signing gets announced soon.  (Since you lose the bonus slot if you don't sign the player, they needed Holiday to officially sign, to have the leftover money to officially sign Showalter)

I think Young and Walters were two true flyers. If either or both sign, great...but if neither sign, that happens too 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I think they may be able to get 2 out of 3. I imagine the Orioles know their numbers. Once they can get Showalter under contract and he passes the physical, then they can take the rest and tell Walters and Young, first one that takes it gets it.

• Upvote 2