Draft Signings

So we’ve saved about 750K so far. It looks like each pick after the 10th round can sign for 125K without impacting the pool. And with a 4.9% overage, we can add another 800K to the pool. So, there’s about 1.5M available to get Young, Showalter, and Walters signed. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, waroriole said:

So we’ve saved about 750K so far. It looks like each pick after the 10th round can sign for 125K without impacting the pool. And with a 4.9% overage, we can add another 800K to the pool. So, there’s about 1.5M available to get Young, Showalter, and Walters signed. 

Do players signed after the 10th round underslot save money towards signings in rounds 1-10?

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Do players signed after the 10th round underslot save money towards signings in rounds 1-10?

No…but the guys who sign for over 125k in rounds 11-20 go towards your draft pool and if you save a bunch of money in rounds 1-10, you have more to spend for those later rounds.

18 hours ago, waroriole said:

Add in that the first 125k doesn’t count towards the pool savings. So just quick and dirty math… we could offer all three 625k to sign. That would be around Round 3 money, pick #98 overall. 

That’s tough money to turn down. Especially for Walters as a reliever. 

Still a lot of picks left to sign. The last big one is Wagner. We’ll have a better idea of where we stand after that. I guess we could see some slight trimmings in picks 4-10. 

Thanks to everyone for posting the info so fast!!!!

My updated numbers have us coming in at $772,000 underslot so far. I think that number could grow with Trace Bright (5th round) and Preston Johnson (7th round). Both are senior signs. 

Seems like there should be plenty of money for at least 2 of the round 11-20 overslot guys, hopefully all 3. Generally, Elias has done a great job of knowing what he needs to sign overslot guys.

If case it's helpful, I uploaded my draft picks doc to google sheets. I'll try to keep it updated as signings come in. 

7 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Seems to be some dispute on Fabian's deal. Callis also has him at full slot. Wondering if the mlb tracker just has it wrong (since Callis works for mlb)

I think the tracker is just wrong. All reports (local and national) I've seen have been for full slot value. 

16 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Seems to be some dispute on Fabian's deal. Callis also has him at full slot. Wondering if the mlb tracker just has it wrong (since Callis works for mlb)

That is weird. I went by the MLB draft tracker.

Just speculating here, but I have a feeling the O's are working backwards on signing these guys. 

My guess is they're talking a lot with Walters, Young and Showalter and not finalizing the first 10 rounds in hopes they can figure out a way to make it work. If Young, for example, is kinda close on a number, they might try to squeeze a few more dollars out of the earlier round picks.

Could be wrong of course, but the O's have been quiet for a few days here.