Joey Ortiz in July

wildcard

59 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

If this guy finishes this season the way he started last season before injury that would be huge.  Farm is looking really deep.

He started the year well last year. What he’s doing now is another level.   We have to wait and see what happens when this hot streak is over.   This is exciting.  I think he’s going to move up on the power rankings.  Haha

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He started the year well last year. What he’s doing now is another level.   We have to wait and see what happens when this hot streak is over.   This is exciting.  I think he’s going to move up on the power rankings.  Haha

New record for biggest jump in the power rankings? Ha

5 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

New record for biggest jump in the power rankings? Ha

Well.  Cesar Prieto is #9 and Connor Norby is #10.   Let’s have a vote.  How many people think Prieto should be ahead of Ortiz on the next power rankings.  I suspect Prieto might drop a little anyway but Ortiz is en fuego and it’s starting to look real.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well.  Cesar Prieto is #9 and Connor Norby is #10.   Let’s have a vote.  How many people think Prieto should be ahead of Ortiz on the next power rankings.  I suspect Prieto might drop a little anyway but Ortiz is en fuego and it’s starting to look real.

Norby is playing like he wants to make a jump himself

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

Norby is playing like he wants to make a jump himself

Norby is already #10.  Difficult to jump most of the players in front of him.   I’d like to see that average over .280.  He hit .250 at Aberdeen and he’s been around that at Bowie.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Who says we don't have a pure SS prospect.  

Joey Ortiz in 19 games in July.

.403    .436   .681    1.117

Good thing Correra turned down our 300 mil! I am excited about what Ortiz is doing right now.  I would say 9. Norby, 10, Ortiz and Prieto falls a couple spots.

10 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

Good thing Correra turned down our 300 mil! I am excited about what Ortiz is doing right now.  I would say 9. Norby, 10, Ortiz and Prieto falls a couple spots.

Getting a little ahead of ourselves. Joey Ortiz is 24 and just starting to hit Double A pitching. Prieto is 23 and Norby 22.

For me Ortiz is nowhere near the top ten. Back in the 20-30 range for now. 

5 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Getting a little ahead of ourselves. Joey Ortiz is 24 and just starting to hit Double A pitching. Prieto is 23 and Norby 22.

He just turned 24. Norby just turned 22. Advantage Norby.  Ortiz is a plus defensive SS.  Norby is an adequate 2B. Advantage Ortiz.  

Ortiz was a top 20 guy or higher based on performance and reports last year.  He had major shoulder surgery last year.  His OPS is over 1.000 for the month of July.  If he is over .900 for August I don't see how he's not right up there with Norby, unless of course, Norby starts OPSing over .900 as well.  Norby's average combined for the season is .247.  I like the power but he's got room for improvement. 

As for Prieto, with the exception of a power spurt for about he week in Aberdeen, he hasn't shown much. He doesn't draw many walks.  Without power, he's a utility player.  I"d have Prieto behind Vavra and Ortiz right now.

8 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Sorry, not suggesting Ortiz is a lock or anything. Just having a little fun following up a comment about not having a future short stop. I think the future of the middle infield is very bright with guys like Henderson, Holliday, Westbrook, Ortiz, Norby, etc coming. Save the money and spend if on pitching. 

We can all agree Ortiz is hitting very well right now and his defense is superb. I wonder if we see him in AAA soon and Henderson, Westburg, and him start splitting 2B/SS/3B time again like they did in AA. And while his recent hot streak is still a SSS, if he keeps it up, it probably makes it easier to deal someone like Westburg in a deal for a starting pitcher. 

Ortiz is hitting some big boy bombs and looks pretty healthy now. 102 EVs with 420+ HRs from a SS that can truly play SS. Um, yes please. 

I am really buying into the fact he was not fully strong after his should injury limited him this offseason. 

Now saying that, he's on a heater and we never start fully judging a guy based on a month of amazing baseball, but it is nice to see him hit when he's probably the best defensive shortstop playing in the system right now.

He's going to definitely move back up the prospect power rankings but i need to see him keep it up. He's 24 not 22, so that's going to hold him back a bit. 

• Upvote 1

I need to see another month or so of this, I think. He had a similar heater prior to the injury, right? So two small samples of good offense. But he looked pretty bad all year prior to this. I'm intrigued, but not really paying a whole lot of attention just yet.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I need to see another month or so of this, I think. He had a similar heater prior to the injury, right? So two small samples of good offense. But he looked pretty bad all year prior to this. I'm intrigued, but not really paying a whole lot of attention just yet.

No.  Not even close!

It's fine if you don't want to buy into it but I suggest you pay attention to it.   It's kind of enjoyable.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

No.  Not even close!

It's fine if you don't want to buy into it but I suggest you pay attention to it.   It's kind of enjoyable.

Fair enough! I trust your judgement. I seem to remember talk of a good offensive stretch from him last year but I guess it wasn't as pronounced as this one. Sure would be huge if he kept it up!