Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why does the money matter?  The Os have no money on the books.  Snell is owed peanuts compared to his upside and even if he is just a 2ish WAR guy, he’s still fine.  

If he pitches 70 innings, sure it’s too much but again, so what?  Risks will have to be taken.  

Because money is an asset.  I tell you what, if it doesn't matte, why don't you give me all yours?

Everything is a risk.  I'm not advocating never take a risk.  Hell, trading Mancini was a risk.

I'm saying Snell is a bad risk imo.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Because money is an asset.  I tell you what, if it doesn't matte, why don't you give me all yours?

Everything is a risk.  I'm not advocating never take a risk.  Hell, trading Mancini was a risk.

I'm saying Snell is a bad risk imo.

What is his 16M next year going to stop you from doing?  They are looking at another really low payroll right now.  It doesn’t stop you from doing anything.

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

When did I say Santander's injuries are a non-factor?  I'll wait why you try to drum up the strawman you've been beating the hell out of.

You can say strawman as if you think that's some kind of argument-winner.  

You didn't say Santander's injuries are a non-factor, but you really didn't address them as a factor in discussing him.  You can't really overlook them, he's pretty fragile.  If you're going to knock Snell for the "5 innings a month" then you should probably be looking at Santander in the same light.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You can say strawman as if you think that's some kind of argument-winner.  

You didn't say Santander's injuries are a non-factor, but you really didn't address them as a factor in discussing him.  You can't really overlook them, he's pretty fragile.  If you're going to knock Snell for the "5 innings a month" then you should probably be looking at Santander in the same light.

The only thing I said about Santander was if he stayed healthy and performing he'd be more valuable next year- which is addressing his injuries- and that he's worth more than Snell now- and according to the site cited above by owknows, I'm hardly out on a limb on that.

BTW, I used the term strawman because that's exactly what you were doing.

Edited by Pickles

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Because assets matter.  

Ok..and the assets are plentiful even if you give him that money.  You don’t seem to be able to grasp that concept.  Snell stops nothing from happening.  You are going to have to pay for pitching anyway.  You have Lyles, a far worse pitcher, 10M.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok..and the assets are plentiful even if you give him that money.  You don’t seem to be able to grasp that concept.  Snell stops nothing from happening.  You are going to have to pay for pitching anyway.  You have Lyles, a far worse pitcher, 10M.  

Well, Lyles has been more valuable this year.  That whole availability thing is a pretty important ability.

But yeah, if you guarantee Snell 16 mil next year you could preclude yourself from signing next year's Lyles.  Assets, even if you deem them plentiful, are not unlimited.

20 mil for Snell's track record is not a particularly good bet.  It's why the Padres are basically giving him away.  And still haven't found a suitor.

Edited by Pickles

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, Lyles has been more valuable this year.  That whole availability thing is a pretty important ability.

But yeah, if you guarantee Snell 16 mil next year you could preclude yourself from signing next year's Lyles.  Assets, even if you deem them plentiful, are not unlimited.

20 mil for Snell's track record is not a particularly good bet.  It's why the Padres are basically giving him away.  And still haven't found a suitor.

Well we don’t know the Padres are trying to give him away.  It’s speculation, not fact. With the way he’s pitching, they may very well want to hold onto him.

And no, signing him doesn’t stop anything the Os would do.