Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well we don’t know the Padres are trying to give him away.  It’s speculation, not fact. With the way he’s pitching, they may very well want to hold onto him.

And no, signing him doesn’t stop anything the Os would do.

We'll see if he gets moved what his value really is.

And you can keep pretending money doesn't matter, but it does.  Spending a dollar here means you can't spend a dollar there.  It's very simple logic.

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The only thing I said about Santander was if he stayed healthy and performing he'd be more valuable next year- which is addressing his injuries- and that he's worth more than Snell now- and according to the site cited above by owknows, I'm hardly out on a limb on that.

BTW, I used the term strawman because that's exactly what you were doing.

I don't care if I was using a strawman.  People act like saying "strawman" is something that makes them win an argument.  

But you can't count on him staying healthy.  But if you wouldn't trade him as part of a Snell package, I get it, no worries.

Just now, Pickles said:

We'll see if he gets moved what his value really is.

And you can keep pretending money doesn't matter, but it does.  Spending a dollar here means you can't spend a dollar there.  It's very simple logic.

The Os, with Snell, would have a payroll of like 50M next year.  They have tons of payroll room.  

The trades are happening fast and furious this evening.  Yankees been dealing like crazy and the Red Sox as well.   Yankees got Montas and Trevino from A’s and got to hold on to most their top guys.  The Mariners are going to regret all they gave up for Castillo especially when comparing what Yankees had to give up for Montas.  

I think purging his social media accounts of all things Orioles would be the last thing on his mind if he was just given notice of a trade.

So I don’t buy it. These are busy professional athletes not teenage girls coming off a breakup. 

Edited by ChuckS

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I think purging his social media accounts of all things Orioles would be the last thing on his mind if he was just given notice of a trade.

So I don’t buy it. These are busy professional athletes not teenage girls coming off a breakup. 

Someone mentioned this as a general advisory. A lot of players (or rather their representation / management team) scrub their social media every 1-2 months. Given that it's the 1st of the month, this could be a scheduled purge. 

22 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Actually, this is increasingly being seen as a way for athletes to signal change or even discontent. Hollywood Brown scrubbed pictures of the Ravens from his Instagram and mention of the Ravens in his Twitter bio in the time just before the Ravens traded him. When Kyler Murray removed any reference to the Cardinals on his social media, it was seen as a sign that he was threatening to leave if Arizona didn't pony up and pay him.

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Actually, this is increasingly being seen as a way for athletes to signal change or even discontent. Hollywood Brown scrubbed pictures of the Ravens from his Instagram and mention of the Ravens in his Twitter bio in the time just before the Ravens traded him. When Kyler Murray removed any reference to the Cardinals on his social media, it was seen as a sign that he was threatening to leave if Arizona didn't pony up and pay him.

Right the diva athlete (usually NBA or NFL star) campaigning for a trade or new contract.

Don’t think that’s going on here with Lopez. 

57 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

Oooh danggg. Maybe Jorge is headed out, too?

I love our bullpen, but for a team in our position, it's the smart move as long as the return is fair. 

Does anyone know if Jorge Lopez's Instagram page really had photos up before?

Because looking at his Twitter account he hasn't updated it since his Royals days. It's not verified, but it has selfies of him posted so I think it's really him.

https://twitter.com/yabiee18

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s