Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In any given year, middling/mediocre relievers can be terrible or really good.  I’m not surprised they are good but I am surprised they are this good as a collective unit. 

All of the questions about the bullpen are true, but Lopez in particular does have a trait that should do well for a while. He throws very hard. 100 mph will play. Especially with decent secondaries.

I don’t know how good he will be every year, but I think he will be pretty good for a while.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In any given year, middling/mediocre relievers can be terrible or really good.  I’m not surprised they are good but I am surprised they are this good as a collective unit. 

I agree that relievers are Up/down from year to year, but we’re talking about a guy throwing a 99 mph sinker. That’s hot staying power. It’s not like he’s Baker. 

However, the scrubbing of Lopez’ social media accounts means that he’s probably traded. I also would not be surprised to see us trade Lyles or one or Santander/Hays. 

There is a huge arms race going on in the AL. Since we weren’t going to add, then we were going to fall behind just because of that. So might as well see if we get blown away with deals. 

13 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

All of the questions about the bullpen are true, but Lopez in particular does have a trait that should do well for a while. He throws very hard. 100 mph will play. Especially with decent secondaries.

I don’t know how good he will be every year, but I think he will be pretty good for a while.

As long as the command/control stay where they are, I feel really good about him, Bautista and Akin.  Perez is close to that category.  I’m less sure about the others.

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree that relievers are Up/down from year to year, but we’re talking about a guy throwing a 99 mph sinker. That’s hot staying power. It’s not like he’s Baker. 

However, the scrubbing of Lopez’ social media accounts means that he’s probably traded. I also would not be surprised to see us trade Lyles or one or Santander/Hays. 

There is a huge arms race going on in the AL. Since we weren’t going to add, then we were going to fall behind just because of that. So might as well see if we get blown away with deals. 

Lopez scrubbed his social media account?  When?

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

In the structure of Will Smith for Jake Odorizzi, do you think Jorge Lopez could get Carlos Rodon?

Rodon is going to opt out of his contract after this season, doesn't seem like the kind of guy we should be trading Lopez for even if SF would do that deal (which is itself rather uncertain).