Tuesday, July 26: Orioles vs Rays

SteveA

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not even close. Devereaux was fast but not like, faster guy in the league fast like Mateo. Probably closest guy was Alan Wiggens.

I rarely saw Devereaux play, but when I did he looked like a blur. There were no speed rankings as far as I know -- occasionally someone would use a stopwatch t time a fast guy (originally Mays and Mantle, in my memory) going around the bases

Just now, spiritof66 said:

I rarely saw Devereaux play, but when I did he looked like a blur. There were no speed rankings as far as I know -- occasionally someone would use a stopwatch t time a fast guy (originally Mays and Mantle, in my memory) going around the bases

I thought Felix Pie was pretty fast, but not much of a baseball player. 

8 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Jeffery Hammonds was fastest guy I saw but then the knee injuries killed him.  

3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Devereaux had a track and field background and covered a lot of territory with his long sprinter strides.  He could also jump out of the building (I believe he held the Wyoming state high jump record).  Mateo looks like Deon Sanders - like he’s at top speed on his first step.  I don’t recall anyone on the O’s being quite as fast.  

6 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I don't yet. I'm still a little surprised to see these guys shut down teams night after night.

Look at the stuff though.

Bautista - 99-102 fastball, 90 split finger
Lopez - 98-99 sinker, curveball, split change
Tate - 95-97 sinker, swing and miss change
Perez - 96-98 fastball, slider that can be unhittable
Kreibel - 94-96, swing and miss change, cutter
Baker - Of late sitting 96-99, change, cutter
Akin - Arthur Rhodes like length guy
Vespi - Slider and curveball that is even tough on RHB despite being lefty

I'm not sure the Orioles have ever had as many weapons.