30 for 30

Frobby

Jay Gibbons may  represent the first decade of the 2000s at OPACY more than anyone else I can think of.  Some power, not a great fielder, doesn’t hit for much of and average, doesn’t walk much (and really didn’t K that much, especially for a power hitter).  Just a guy filling out a roster spot, but somehow he was one of the faces of the franchise for 7 years.  I still remember Rick Dempsey referring to Gibbons as a “50 home run guy.”  Just ridiculous. There was not much hope when your best players are guys like Gibbons, Tony Bautista, and Jorge Julio (see 2002 Orioles). 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Jay Gibbons may  represent the first decade of the 2000s at OPACY more than anyone else I can think of.  Some power, not a great fielder, doesn’t hit for much of and average, doesn’t walk much (and really didn’t K that much, especially for a power hitter).  Just a guy filling out a roster spot, but somehow he was one of the faces of the franchise for 7 years.  I still remember Rick Dempsey referring to Gibbons as a “50 home run guy.”  Just ridiculous. There was not much hope when your best players are guys like Gibbons, Tony Bautista, and Jorge Julio (see 2002 Orioles). 

I think this is pretty fair.  He was a guy that outperformed expectations (the juice helped) and was kind of a face of the team for some really murky, forgettable post-Cal years.  When I think about those 2000s teams, outside of the 2005 team it's just a gross, murky mess that all kind of washes together.  Some names stick out, Gibbons being one of them, but it's just a hodge-podge of forgettable teams that were always around 70 wins and just...BLECH.  Nothing redeemable. 

But Gibbons was a guy you could root for.  

7 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Jorge Julio's stuff when he was right was electric.  He threw a 100 mph 2 seamer that moved like a forkball.

Whenever I see Jay Gibbons' name I can't help but think of that sad letter he wrote to the teams, begging them to give him even a minor league offer.

I started watching baseball in the middle of the 1991 season, so Camden Yards has been part of it all except the very beginning.

Cal Ripken
Mike Mussina
Brady Anderson
Mike Devereaux
Ben McDonald
Chris Hoiles
Rafael Palmeiro
BJ Surhoff
Mike Bordick
Jesse Orosco
Sidney Ponson
Melvin Mora
Brian Roberts
Miguel Tejada
Daniel Cabrera
Erik Bedard
Jeremy Guthrie
Nick Markakis
Adam Jones
Matt Wieters
Manny Machado
JJ Hardy
Jonathan Schoop
Chris Davis
Chris Tillman
Zach Britton
Darren O'Day
Trey Mancini
Cedric Mullins
John Means

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Each person can have their own criteria for who they want to have on the list.  For me, the third sentence of the OP is the best guide: “who do you think of when you think of OPACY?”  If your mind goes to Daniel Cabrera and Jack Cust, then they’re on your list.   Fine by me.  If DirtyBird’s mind goes to a retired player who has a BBQ stand on Eutaw Street, he can put him on his list; no skin off my nose.  Those don’t happen to be the players I think of when I think of Camden Yards.   

Johnny Oates?

On 7/29/2022 at 6:20 AM, DirtyBird said:

Actually, it says what it means, "Just, who do you think of when you think of OPACY?"

There is no way Boog Powell isn't above just about everyone on that list.

Yeah, I’d have to agree. When I think of Camden Yards, a Boogs pit beef sandwich is one of the first things I think about. Now you’re making me hungry. One of the worst parts of moving away from Baltimore is that I’m over a thousand miles from anywhere I can get pit beef. 

2 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Yeah, I’d have to agree. When I think of Camden Yards, a Boogs pit beef sandwich is one of the first things I think about. Now you’re making me hungry. One of the worst parts of moving away from Baltimore is that I’m over a thousand miles from anywhere I can get pit beef. 

Why not just make your own?

It's a simple process. 

BJ Surhoff should be there. I loved watching him play, although he always had a look on his face that seemed like he was smelling a fart.

It would be cool to see Bobby Bo there as well.  Hopefully Harold Baines makes it too. Loved that guy, still surprised he made the HOF, but I always remember thinking back then that if he could have stayed healthy he could have made the HOF

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why not just make your own?

It's a simple process. 

Yeah, I would love to do that. Do you have any good links or tips on how to do it? I already get live crabs shipped out every year and steam them, so doing some pit beef would be a nice thing to accompany the crabs when I invite all of my Maryland friends over. 

5 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Yeah, I would love to do that. Do you have any good links or tips on how to do it? I already get live crabs shipped out every year and steam them, so doing some pit beef would be a nice thing to accompany the crabs when I invite all of my Maryland friends over. 

Hardest part is slicing it thin enough without a deli slicer.

Let me look around a few and see if I can come across a recipe that looks doable.

I just take an eye round, season it and grill it over charcoal.

I've never heard of this guy before and he's got more herbs in his rub than I do but it's a nice video.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hardest part is slicing it thin enough without a deli slicer.

Let me look around a few and see if I can come across a recipe that looks doable.

I just take an eye round, season it and grill it over charcoal.

I've never heard of this guy before and he's got more herbs in his rub than I do but it's a nice video.

Thanks! I guess I should invest in a charcoal grill. I only have a gas grill at the moment because technically that’s all you’re allowed to use during fire bans out here in Colorado.