When will we see our 2022 draftees?

Frobby

I know that at least a few of our draftees spent part of last week in Sarasota.   I’m assuming most or all of them will get some game action in the FCL initially, like last year.   I wonder if we’ll see them this week?  Looking at last year, I see that Colton Cowser played his first FCL game on August 2.  But the draft was a bit earlier than this year, July 11-13 compared to July 17-19. So, it could be that the debuts will be a little later this year too.   Anybody heard anything?

My son was asking about this yesterday.  I have to think there is some type of organization orientation for first year players that lasts 2-3 weeks.  And a good chunk probably is a mental focus of expectations (I forget the lady’s name but they have a mental coach).  She probably has developed some type of generic curriculum and has worked with coaches/scouts to develop tailored approaches for each player (especially the top guys).  And the first few weeks are about getting a more detailed baseline of data of tweaking the coaching approach.  
I bet another week or two.

I would think by end of this week or early next week we see some reports of them being in the extended spring training and then a week after that or so getting into game action.  Jackson said he hadn't been in game action for almost two months so he might need bit longer then a college guy whose season went longer.  

8 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I would think by end of this week or early next week we see some reports of them being in the extended spring training and then a week after that or so getting into game action.  Jackson said he hadn't been in game action for almost two months so he might need bit longer then a college guy whose season went longer.  

Yeah I agree with this. Cowser transitioned into A ball pretty quickly last year, but I expect Holliday to need more time. We may see Wagner, and the OFs in Delmarva soon. 

Remember, we had two FCL teams last year.  Giving these players, 3 college OF's, and a catcher is going to be a little more disruptive to the current team.  Holliday stays in FCL all season. I wonder if Maikol Hernandez plays some 2B or 3B now. 

I think the others transition to Delmarva pretty quickly.  I wonder if Sticen Acevedo and/or Deson come back down to FCL.  Maybe Willems too.

Edited by RZNJ

I would think we'll see some guys pop into the lineups sometime this week. Other than Basallo (C) and maybe De Los Santos (3B) nobody can't be benched including Maikol Hernandez who now has slashed .191/.317/.248/.564 over 278 age appropriate to the level PAs.

If we go by last year, the college guys should just get a week or two and then will head to Delmarva. 

In Delmarva, Bencosme (SS) is the only priority play that should not be benched, but I wouldn't expect Holliday to show up in Delmarva until next season most likely anyways. 

So even with one FCL team, there are plenty of PAs available to the position player prospects.

Ardoin walked in all 3 of his plate appearances today. Things like that don’t happen very frequently unless your name is Juan Soto.

What’s somewhat amazing really, is that he managed to do so on just 12 pitches.

Wonder what the statistical probability is that all 12 pitches a given batter would see in 3 plate appearances would all be balls?

41 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Ardoin walked in all 3 of his plate appearances today. Things like that don’t happen very frequently unless your name is Juan Soto.

What’s somewhat amazing really, is that he managed to do so on just 12 pitches.

Wonder what the statistical probability is that all 12 pitches a given batter would see in 3 plate appearances would all be balls?

They don't keep actual counts in the FCL GAMEDAY logs.  All strikeouts are 3 strikes and no balls and all walks are show as 4 balls and no strikes.  I doubt he walked 3 times on 12 pitches.

Edited by RZNJ