Trey Mancini Traded to the Astros

RVAOsFan

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I think you are putting too much emphasis on "clubhouse leader" when it comes to how the team does. Do you think there is one single guy in that locker room that is not happy for him to be going to a contender like the Astros? Do you think there is anyone that is caught off guard from this when even Mancini said he thought he was playing his last game as an Orioles in Camden Yards?

Besides, ask around here and there are guys that will tell you that Odor is the heart and soul of this team and it would implode if he doesn't start. :D

If Elias trades Santander and a couple of BP pieces like Lopez and Tate he's "punting" this season, but as long as he's setting up this team to be good next year and beyond, I'm ok with those deals.

This year is a bonus. While I'm enjoying them playing .500 baseball after being terrible for so long, I'm also realistic and looking at a team with Odor in the starting lineup, Nevin and Diaz on the bench, and their top two starters on the IL. 

Elias is doing the right thing and keeping his eyes set forward beyond 2022.

You read my mind on my next comment, Tony. If clubhouse chemistry doesn’t matter and isn’t a thing, what the hell is Odor still doing here?? I’d have put Vavra, Westburg, Gunnar, a bag of balls in the lineup for him 2 months ago.

Just now, oriolefan1035 said:

You read my mind on my next comment, Tony. If clubhouse chemistry doesn’t matter and isn’t a thing, what the hell is Odor still doing here?? I’d have put Vavra, Westburg, Gunnar, a bag of balls in the lineup for him 2 months ago.

I'm not saying clubhouse chemistry is not a thing, but I will tell you this, I've never been in a winning team's clubhouse where it was not a lot of fun and everyone acted like they got along. 

The only explanation I can come up with for Odor starting at 2B still is they don't think Vavra's defense there is major league quality and no one is ready that could be better. If Westburg was hitting he might give them some thoughts, but he's been cold for awhile. 

Again, I don't think for a second the team is going to fold up their tents and mope because Mancini was traded. They all know this is a business and they all know Mancini was the guy most likely to be traded. Heck, some guys just got more of a n opportunity to play more so they're psyched. 

• Upvote 2

Seth Johnson is going to have to be added to the 40-man roster or else he will be Rule 5 eligible. Players recovering from Tommy John surgery have been drafted before, and the Orioles probably have more 40-man flexibility to carry Johnson all off season than the Rays do.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think they're done. 

To anyone that doesn’t think we’re punting on the season, here it is from Elias himself. Clearly not all us can be as “shrewd” as Brooks The Great, but I’ve watched the Orioles long enough to know when the team brass has thrown it in for the season. May as well move Santander and Lopez now too since we’re punting this season and looking to next. Let’s evaluate everyone knocking on the door at Norfolk.

1 minute ago, oriolefan1035 said:

To anyone that doesn’t think we’re punting on the season, here it is from Elias himself. Clearly not all us can be as “shrewd” as Brooks The Great, but I’ve watched the Orioles long enough to know when the team brass has thrown it in for the season. May as well move Santander and Lopez now too since we’re punting this season and looking to next. Let’s evaluate everyone knocking on the door at Norfolk.

The Montas follow-up to Castillo did not seem strong to me.   I don't yet rule out Quintana or something even better pitching for us this week.

The Gunnar Henderson call-up is always there as a Trey Mancini chaser.

8 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Seth Johnson is going to have to be added to the 40-man roster or else he will be Rule 5 eligible. Players recovering from Tommy John surgery have been drafted before, and the Orioles probably have more 40-man flexibility to carry Johnson all off season than the Rays do.

They have more than enough players that can be jettisoned from the 40-man still.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, oriolefan1035 said:

Elias would be guilty of malfeasance if he was not engaging other teams on potential deals at this time of year. 

7 minutes ago, oriolefan1035 said:

Where does this say anything about punting on the season?  His job is to listen to all offers, and if he gets the chance to improve the organization over all he should take it.  If he can help the MLB team without sacrificing the future, then fine.  If he can add two guys that immediately slot into our top 20 prospects by trading an average 1st baseball with only 2 months left with us, that make sense.  He should we working on all sorts of opportunities.  I think you are VASTLY over stating how important Mancini was to this team and how highly our chances of making the playoffs were.  Step away from the ledge a bit.  

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I don’t really know how to find this information out but I’d imagine the 40 man roster is going to be pretty inflexible pretty soon. I’m sure there’s got to be a few decent players that need to be added to protect from the rule 5. Carrying Johnson for a whole year knowing he will be just taking up space during the off-season seems like a head scratcher to me. But maybe there’s not as many Rule 5 eligible guys as I’m expecting. There’s just a lot of talent in the upper minors which usually coincides with minor league service time. 

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

McDermott has 9 starts this year.  It doesn’t look like they should mess around with him as a starter.  Put him in the pen and maybe he can move fast.

2 appearances ago in relief, he struck out 9 in 3 innings.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Luckily we have tons of 40 man spots to spare.

I think the O's got good value by getting a former CB pick who has pitched well in the minors and should be healthy in the long run.   McDermott seems more like a project due to his control issues.  We won't know until how much we gave up until we see who we won't be able to protect on the 40 man roster this winter and next winter.