Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

Keep in mind that the bullpen was going to be fine and probably a little jammed up. Grayson was supposed to be in the majors. That would have pushed Wells to the pen. We were supposed to have Givens and Tate. That's three more. Then Means is coming back, that's another pitcher to the pen or optioned. 

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

At this point all they can do is work out some of the kinks. It's hard to rebuild a BP mid season. 

Beginning of season. Lol. Now we know why they cling to Politi for so long. 

Step 1 - our SP need to really carry us this Yankees series. 

Step 2 - DL Hall needs to be an option until we get Givens and/or Tate back. 

Step 3 - How long is Bradish out for?  Can one of Wells or Kremer go to the pen?

Step 4 - Explore Britton. 

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we’re missing the point here. There’s trading away relievers… then there’s trading away guys with an absolute dominant pitch. 99 mph sinker. 

NOW I get the point.

How I missed it before, I'm not sure.  

But our bullpen's fate revolves around a 99 MPH sinker.   With it, we're playoff bound.  Without it, we're dicked.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Keep in mind that the bullpen was going to be fine and probably a little jammed up. Grayson was supposed to be in the majors. That would have pushed Wells to the pen. We were supposed to have Givens and Tate. That's three more. Then Means is coming back, that's another pitcher to the pen or optioned. 

But jammed with what. Outside of Bautista, Perez, and Baker(no command), none of our relievers really have a dominant, or even swing and miss pitch. Lopez had that. 

Nobody is intimidated by any of our relievers outside the top 2. Their eyes are lighting up. 

I think the other thing with Lopez was he looked like a carriage about to turn into a pumpkin at midnight. He had never been a dominant pitched before 2022. Many, myself included, feared that his season was an abberition and he would soon turn back into a pumpkin. We were lucky to get anything for him. Those blown saves against the Twins sure made it feel like he was coming down to earth. Look at his career stats. Other than 2022 with us, he sure didn't look good.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lopezjo02.shtml

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

NOW I get the point.

How I missed it before, I'm not sure.  

But our bullpen's fate revolves around a 99 MPH sinker.   With it, we're playoff bound.  Without it, we're dicked.

Yup. Completely dicked. Let’s just pray that our SP comes up huge this series or we’re going to just be throwing batting practice to the Yankees. But hey… but his is the roster Elias built. 

The silver line will be that after this weekend we’ve already faced the Yankees and Sawx three times. 

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think the other thing with Lopez was he looked like a carriage about to turn into a pumpkin at midnight. He had never been a dominant pitched before 2022. Many, myself included, feared that his season was an abberition and he would soon turn back into a pumpkin. We were lucky to get anything for him. Those blown saves against the Twins sure made it feel like he was coming down to earth. Look at his career stats. Other than 2022 with us, he sure didn't look good.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lopezjo02.shtml

Or we finally put Lopez in the bullpen. He was damn near perfect. Blows two saves. We get cute and think we’re Billy Beane 2.0 and trade him for prospects. Then construct a team around Logan Gilaspie and Bryan Baker. 

Elias knew Givens had been hurt all least year. He also knew that Tate was going to miss a good amount of time. 

Elias built this. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Or we finally put Lopez in the bullpen. He was damn near perfect. Blows two saves. We get cute and think we’re Billy Beane 2.0 and trade him for prospects. Then construct a team around Logan Gilaspie and Bryan Baker. 

Elias knew Givens had been hurt all least year. He also knew that Tate was going to miss a good amount of time. 

Elias built this. 

Elias also built the pen last year.   Chill.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Elias built this. 

Look man. What's done is done. Best to not get too fixated on it. I think the 'pen is better than they pitched in Boston and the team should still be good enough to compete to where Elias supplements the bullpen with a trade this time. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Elias built this. 

I don't believe this to be true. He pitched in spring training and tried to pitch at the end again. He wouldn't have been signed if he knew that he was injured.

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Beginning of season. Lol. Now we know why they cling to Politi for so long. 

Step 1 - our SP need to really carry us this Yankees series. 

Step 2 - DL Hall needs to be an option until we get Givens and/or Tate back. 

Step 3 - How long is Bradish out for?  Can one of Wells or Kremer go to the pen?

Well, regardless of our opinions they can't rebuild a BP in the beginning, or middle of a season. What they have is what they have for now. 

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t know why you are so obsessed with Britton.  The guy has worked out for a whole bunch of teams and none of them have signed him to a contract.  Doesn’t that tell you something?  Honestly, I’d rather call up Vespi or Krehbiel than sign Britton.  But I’m not ready to do anything yet anyway.  

FWIW, I expected some regression from the bullpen this year, even before knowing about the injuries.  A lot of things went right for last year’s pen, and it’s unlikely they’ll be as fortunate this year.  So, if there was a real upgrade out there, I’d consider it.  But I really doubt Zach Britton fits the bill, and he gets no extra credit for being an ex-Oriole.