Jump to content

Soto to Padres


yark14
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Nats got a really package back. Heck, Abrams might be the worse one of the group and he's a 6th overall pick.

I agree, if I was a Nats fan I'd be thrilled with what they got back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, yark14 said:

Hassell and Wood could the the foundation for a really, really good outfield for several years.

They could both hit and still end up being the 3rd and 4th OF if Green and Vaquero reach their potential.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2022 at 4:16 PM, yark14 said:

Hassell and Wood could the the foundation for a really, really good outfield for several years.

The lower the players are in the minors, the shinier they look.  We'll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The Nats got a great package but the reality is that it’s likely SD wins this trade.

Team is for sale and they just took a large section of payroll off the books.

So I think it depends on what you consider a win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Nats got a great package but the reality is that it’s likely SD wins this trade.

Depends on how you want to score it. If Soto leaves after 2024 and you count his WAR for the next 2+ seasons and Bell’s remaining season, I’d take the bet on the 28-30 years of prospects.  
 

If SD wins a WS in the next three postseasons, it doesn’t really matter the WAR comparison.

If Soto doesn’t hit FA, then the rest of his seasons should count and I could easily see him outperforming everyone they gave up.  
 

If Soto hits FA and returns to SD, I don’t think you count the future WAR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

Depends on how you want to score it. If Soto leaves after 2024 and you count his WAR for the next 2+ seasons and Bell’s remaining season, I’d take the bet on the 28-30 years of prospects.  
 

If SD wins a WS in the next three postseasons, it doesn’t really matter the WAR comparison.

If Soto doesn’t hit FA, then the rest of his seasons should count and I could easily see him outperforming everyone they gave up.  
 

If Soto hits FA and returns to SD, I don’t think you count the future WAR.

To me the fair way to judge it is measuring the excess value generated while under initial team control.

Extensions don't count as the player could have been acquired as a free agent.

Of course that is only showing the direct on the field impact.

Padres had 4K ticket sales for the first game after the trades.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The Nats got a great package but the reality is that it’s likely SD wins this trade.

I think it’s a win-win.  The Nats were a .340 team with Soto and had a horrible farm system.  They weren’t going to win in his remaining Arb years.  Now they’ve got a great foundation for a rebuild that shouldn’t take as long as the Orioles’ because they maxed out their return on Soto rather than waiting too long like we did with Manny.  Meanwhile, SD has three superstars in their prime, two of whom are locked up for 6+ years and Soto can help them for three straight postseasons.  More, if they can extend  him.  Should be a fun few years for their fans, and maybe longer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think it’s a win-win.  The Nats were a .340 team with Soto and had a horrible farm system.  They weren’t going to win in his remaining Arb years.  Now they’ve got a great foundation for a rebuild that shouldn’t take as long as the Orioles’ because they maxed out their return on Soto rather than waiting too long like we did with Manny.  Meanwhile, SD has three superstars in their prime, two of whom are locked up for 6+ years and Soto can help them for three straight postseasons.  More, if they can extend  him.  Should be a fun few years for their fans, and maybe longer. 

Only slight quibble with that is Manny has an opt out after next season.  I think he’s owed 5/160 going into his age 31 season.  I think it’s entirely possible for him to do that.

I think there is a lot of pressure on Preller to win over these next two seasons.  Their starters, with the exception of Musgrove, aren’t controlled beyond 2023.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2022 at 9:12 AM, backwardsk said:

Only slight quibble with that is Manny has an opt out after next season.  I think he’s owed 5/160 going into his age 31 season.  I think it’s entirely possible for him to do that.

I think there is a lot of pressure on Preller to win over these next two seasons.  Their starters, with the exception of Musgrove, aren’t controlled beyond 2023.

I forgot about the opt-out.  Still not sure Manny will go anywhere, though he might try to coax SD into an extension. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They won the first game post-trade 9-1 but since then, an unsightly 5 game in-division losing streak with only 7 runs scored total. Imagine the panic on Padres Hangout. 

I saw somewhere that, given the bracket, their most likely World Series path would be through Braves, Dodgers, Mets, and then Astros/Yankees. Yikes. Well they've got at least one more chance to win a ring with the Soto/Machado/Tatis trifecta, at least two more if Manny doesn't opt out, and a lot more if they manage to resign Soto.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...