Orioles get Brett Phillips

RVAOsFan

49 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I would think his .677 OPS at Norfolk had already settled that matter. 

It still makes no sense as to why Stowers isn’t in Baltimore. 

I honestly think Elias is waiting until late August to promote Stowers, Westburg, and Henderson. That way, their rookie status is preserved for the 2023 season, and those guys can all be options to start on the Opening Day 2023 roster and give them each a shot at top 3 in ROY 2023 voting, which would net us a 2024 draft pick for each player that places in the top 3. I actually think it's a good strategy.

Edited by Brooks The Great
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I honestly think Elias is waiting until late August to promote Stowers, Westburg, and Henderson. That way, their rookie status is preserved for the 2023 season, and those guys can all be options to start on the Opening Day 2023 roster and give them each a shot at top 3 in ROY 2023 voting, which would net us a 2024 draft pick for each player that places in the top 3. I actually think it's a good strategy.

That’s what I think too. He wants all 3 of those draft picks for the ROY voting. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

That’s what I think too. He wants all 3 of those draft picks for the ROY voting. 

And it's a possibility! With Grayson Rodriguez and those 3 hitters, plus DL Hall and perhaps Colton Cowser if he gets off to a hot start next spring, we could potentially sweep the top 3 spots if things really break our way with several of those guys.

6 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

This would make sense. But now we go from not seeing valued prospects for the first 4-8 weeks to not seeing them until the last 6 weeks if they don't make it early enough. Boooooo. The business side of baseball blows for fans.

16 minutes ago, waroriole said:

That’s easily remedied. 

It doesn't really need to be "remedied" right now though, so this would be a good time to give Diaz a proper audition with the big boys to see if it might be worth it to let him keep his 40 man spot this winter. The fact that Elias would rather give the playing time to Phillips after his atrocious performance thus far in 2022 (and when McKenna is already available as a glove-first backup OF/pinch runner) instead of Diaz is really telling. 

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

It doesn't really need to be "remedied" right now though, so this would be a good time to give Diaz a proper audition with the big boys to see if it might be worth it to let him keep his 40 man spot this winter. The fact that Elias would rather give the playing time to Phillips after his atrocious performance thus far in 2022 (and when McKenna is already available as a glove-first backup OF/pinch runner) instead of Diaz is really telling. 

He's also playing Phillips over Stowers.

He's over there playing Pachinco when everyone else is playing Parcheesi.

1 minute ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Yeah, I really don’t get the lack of faith in Elias. We’ve gone from one of the worst teams in baseball, with one of the worst farm systems for a very long time, to a team that’s above .500 with one of the best farm systems in all of baseball. There’s really no reason any fan should doubt him after what he’s done so far. 

I don’t really think people are doubting the ability in building the farm, international stuff etc. I have been fine with the player for player trades. Phillips makes no sense and imo Odor and Chirinos were terrible signings. Personality, comedian, leadership stuff is overrated imo. It matters to me if a guy is a disruption. If you are not leading with your performance than who gives a crap about the rest. You have Hyde and his coaches for that.

15 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

That's some galaxy brain level stuff right there. No idea if that's what they're thinking but it's fun to think about. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's also playing Phillips over Stowers.

That is the thing that could be "remedied," adding Stowers to the 40 man.

Don't get me wrong though, Stowers would be my choice of the 3 options being discussed here, but I can also see the logic of giving Diaz a chance to play some for a couple of weeks to make a case for holding onto his 40 man spot this offseason. But option 3? I mean, I like Phillips and I think it's possible that he can be fixed, I just don't quite get why we are the team trying to do so given our current situation.

I hypothesized yesterday that Elias had another deal for one of our OFs in mind that ended up falling through or that Hays might need some time on the IL for his wrist because otherwise I really have no idea why he is here (and it's still pretty questionable even under those circumstances tbh).

Or maybe Mike wanted to keep him away from the Yankees (who also had interest in him) or another AL team...?