Beating the teams you're not supposed to beat

wildcard

3 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I'm no longer thinking of the Jays, Rays, or Red Sox as teams we are not supposed to beat. I'm thinking we are right there with them (we are).

It may be tough to project wins against those teams, but I'm not projecting losses either.

We've been better than all 3 teams going on 3 months now. Time for perceptions to change. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I'm no longer thinking of the Jays, Rays, or Red Sox as teams we are not supposed to beat. I'm thinking we are right there with them (we are).

It may be tough to project wins against those teams, but I'm not projecting losses either.

Things they are a changing.

Here in Ft. Myers, Fl., I have several friends who are Rays fans and also many who are Red Sox fans as we are their Spring Training home (along with the Twins), and all of them now worry about playing us and do not consider us an easy series win or sweep as they have for the last several years. It really feels good to get some respect again from some of these obnoxious baseball friends of mine...lol.

Edited by FlaO'sFan

We've been playing better than the Yankees for a fairly significant stretch. We've been a completely different team ever since Adley Rutschman was promoted.

I think we're the best team in the AL East, been saying that for a while now. We have a deeper lineup than the Yankees, especially now that Matt Carpenter is out for them. And we'll have a better lineup across the board if/when Stowers, Westburg, and Henderson are promoted. We have a much better bullpen, and it's not even close from a talent perspective. Clay Holmes is not a sub-2.00 ERA pitcher and he's been showing that over his past 10 appearances. The Yankees built their huge division lead on a weak schedule, and that's also showing itself to be true over the past month+.

The Yankees have a far superior rotation, but I like our chances against them with our lineup, our bullpen, and our defense.

Brian Cashman yet again failed the Yankees at the trade deadline, and he's shown once again that he's one of the worst GMs in baseball. Trading Jordan Montgomery for Harrison Bader was a joke of a trade, and perhaps even worse than the Joey Gallo trade, which was one of the worst trades of the past decade.

The Red Sox are done, the Rays are nothing special, and we can hang with the Blue Jays and are in the process of surpassing them in the standings. These Orioles are talented and right on track to go to the playoffs. I just hope Elias brings up Hall, Stowers, Westburg, Gunnar, and potentially GrayRod if he's healthy, and bench/release Odor and demote Nevin and go for it.

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

At this point, we’re better than the Red Sox. They’re not a very good team. 

Remember the Red Sox team that was drinking beer and eating chicken during games. This Os team is the opposite of that team. Everyone knew the names of those players and they were expected to win. No one knows these players and were expected to lose. 
2010 Giants weren’t that good on paper outside of their starting rotation. Aubrey Huff, Cody Ross, unlikely hero’s. Only one in their lineup anyone really knew was a rookie catcher drafted out of college who was a highly anticipated prospect. Aubrey Huff was a semi serviceable veteran who created energy and late inning heroics. Seeing where I am going with this?  

(For the slow ones, I am comparing this years orioles to 2010 Giants. For the people who disagree, in 2010 it didn’t feel like the giants were anything until they were and we didn’t know most of the players at that time by name until we did).