Orioles Trade Rumors and Whispers

jcroemer

Of course you all know about the Uehara signing by now but here is Connolly's article about the door to Asia opening.

More of the goings-ons in Lee County, as they try to attract an MLB team for Spring Training.

Jay Trucker chimes in with some final thoughts on the St. Joe alum who turned his back on his hometown. I highly recommend this one if you aren't totally sick of reading about Tex.

Well, there isn't a whole lot else out there right now that doesn't state we signed Uehara to a 2 yr deal worth at least $10MM but as much as $16MM after incentives.

Have a good day, I'll try to update you around lunch unless news breaks.

The Jay Tucker article was a good one. Thanks for all the links, I would give you some rep but I have to spread it around first.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Jay Tucker article was a good one. Thanks for all the links, I would give you some rep but I have to spread it around first.

I passed your compliments along to Jay. As always, I appreciate the rep, or at least the attempt to!

Here's a story that I encountered. I really don't get it at all and it's from a news source I've not seen before, Baseball Toaster. It says we signed Uehara and then starts talking about sailing black ships into Toyko Harbor. Can anyone explain this? (SEE NEXT POST)

I passed your compliments along to Jay. As always, I appreciate the rep, or at least the attempt to!

Here's a story that I encountered. I really don't get it at all and it's from a news source I've not seen before, Baseball Toaster. It says we signed Uehara and then starts talking about sailing black ships into Toyko Harbor. Can anyone explain this? (SEE NEXT POST)

This will explain the 'sailing black ships into Toyko Harbor' statement.

The Black Ships (in Japanese, 黒船, kurofune) was the name given to Western vessels arriving in Japan between the 15th and 19th centuries. In particular, it refers to Mississippi, Plymouth, Saratoga, and Susquehanna, that arrived in 1853 at Uraga Harbor (part of present-day Yokosuka) in Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan under the command of United States Commodore Matthew Perry. The word "black" refers to the black color of the older sailing vessels, and the black smoke from the coal-fired power plants of the American ships.

Source: http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Black-Ships

I can see the Orioles signing Pudge for name recognition and a move to first base when Wieters is ready to take over behind the plate.

Furthermore, with Zaun's desire to start, it may be better for the Orioles to sign the Japanese catcher to catch Uehara and possibly Kawakami. I would still sign Zaun, however over the Japanese catcher, but this is a possibility.

Pudge may enjoy catching, but he would still have a place in the lineup if he moved to first base mid way through 2009 to make way for Wieters.

I can see the Orioles signing Pudge for name recognition and a move to first base when Wieters is ready to take over behind the plate.

Furthermore, with Zaun's desire to start, it may be better for the Orioles to sign the Japanese catcher to catch Uehara and possibly Kawakami. I would still sign Zaun, however over the Japanese catcher, but this is a possibility.

Pudge may enjoy catching, but he would still have a place in the lineup if he moved to first base mid way through 2009 to make way for Wieters.

Just say no to Pudge. He is done and only has value as a backup catcher...

Even if he can play a competent 1B defensively (which we don't know), Pudge would be one of the worst offensive first basemen in the majors. He has zero value over there.

I just don't think Pudge is a good fit for this team. I don't think he's eager to accept a reduced role (and it's not uncommon for future Hall-of-Famers to feel this way-- they often don't want to accept that their best days are behind them). Bring in a guy like Zaun who won't raise a big stink about being relegated to backup duty when Wieters comes up.

I don't understand why we need Getz. We just traded Hernandez for Freel,Turner and Waring. Freel can play 2B. Turner has more power than Getz and has put up much better numbers in the minors. Getz has 4 years to Turner's 3 years in the minors but the numbers are comparable. They should be looking at more pitching or a 1B in the package if they trade Roberts. How about Floyd and Konerko for Roberts and another player?

Minor League Totals Getz    G      AB      R      H     2B    3B     HR    RBI   SB   CS    BB    SO     AVG      OBP     SLG    OPS       374    1428   208    408    63    11     17    149   55   22    165   142   .286     .361    .381    .742Turner  294    1133   193    351    63     9     24    153   29   12    108   185   .310     .377    .445    .822

Archived