2023 schedule is released

eddie83

5 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I for one think a completely balanced schedule is the fairest way to do this. Honestly, y'all might hate me, but forget divisions, maybe even leagues. Have every team play every team equally. Arrange the travel to minimize east/west road trips whereby one trip there covers a bunch of teams and games. Then, in the end, take the best 16 or whatever teams you want into the playoffs.

No one hates, you.

I don't 100% hate the balanced schedule in theory, it's the fact that they're putting interleague play in there and having us play teams that I (yes, I am being selfish here) have no interest in watching us play.   Hell, I barely have any interest in watching us play the A's, I'm certainly not interested in watching us play the Brewers.  I know, I know, but I will anyway.

I'd be more in favor of the balanced schedule if they eliminated the interleague play aspect from it.  I can't imagine fans of the Pittsburgh Pirates (if there are any left) are interested in games against the Rangers.  It's thrilling, I'm sure.  

• Upvote 1

I just took a second look, I hate it even more.  September is games against the Diamondbacks, Angels, Red Sox, Cardinals, Rays, Astros, Guardians, Nationals and Red Sox again.

****ing fine.  FINE.  I mean, if you're going to have a balanced schedule with bull**** interleague games all summer, at least make September nothing but games against your division so they mean more down the final stretch.

But I'm telling you guys, I can't WAIT to see us play the Reds at home in late June!  What a matchup that will be!

I wish they would have simply rebalanced the number of non-divisional games within the American League, to account for the increased emphasis of the wild card.   The interleague games always hold the least appeal to me. 

14 games vs. AL East = 56

9 games vs. rest of AL = 90

16 total vs. NL, with Nats every year for at least 3 games.

They should combine the Leagues and make an East and a West Conference.  Only play your teams on either side of the Mississippi.   Have a World Series between the East and the West.  Never travel more than half the country.   Never have games that start at ten pm.   

Start new rivalries.....Like against Philadelphia and the Nats.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Another reason I HATE interleague play is I'm in the black out market for the Reds, Pirates and Indians.  The more we play the NL Pirates and Reds, the fewer Os games I get to actually watch.  Missing all the Indians games was bad enough.  

That's gotta be frustrating.  MLB needs to get rid of the blackouts, they're shooting themselves in the foot on that one and don't seem to care.  

• Upvote 1

I don't get wanting to play more games against teams we see over and over again. To me it's way more interesting to play these rarer teams. I get so sick of looking at the players on the AL East clubs man. And their stadiums more than anything. We have the only good stadium in our division.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't like it.  

I know a lot of you are going to be all happy and **** about not having to play so many AL East games but, IMO, that's what makes this interesting.  That's what makes this great.  We're in the hardest division in baseball and we've got to fight like dogs to get to the top.  The games matter more and you know the Rays, Jays, Yankees and Sox up and down, inside and out.  There's no hiding anything.  For years and years we've watched this team get their brains bashed in and FINALLY are becoming competitive again and then they take away our stiffest competition?  No f'ing way!  I've been watching this team and waiting for Rutschman and Henderson and G-Rod and Hall and everyone else to come up so we can go toe to toe with the Yankees, like, 30 times a year and win more than we lose against them.  

I really don't care about playing the Marlins.  I don't care about playing the Padres (Manny's been gone long enough for me to really find any interest there).  I don't care about playing the Phillies, or really, any National League team.  Interleague baseball was a cool thing back in the late 90s but I find it borderline insufferable now.  Obviously, I'm still going to watch but no one here can tell me they're interested in a Orioles/Rockies matchup in late August at the same level they'd be interested in a Orioles/Rays game.  The stakes are automatically higher.  I'd rather see if we can beat a guy like Baz or McClanahan instead of whatever ****kicker the Rockies trot out there.  

I mean, if they're going to go this route, why even have the two leagues anymore?  Just make it like the NBA, an Eastern and Western conference and the top 8 teams from each conference get in the playoffs.  With this new schedule, there's really no need for East, Central and West divisions anymore or the American and National leagues.

Think of it as a way for the Os to pick up fans in New markets that don't get to see them regularly, if at all.  Or,  a chance for fans that don't live in AL East markets to get a chance to see their team play more often than once every 8 or 9 years.  

It also levels the playing field for teams that play in strong divisions and helps get the best teams into the playoffs. 

I hate inter league play too.  That said, I do prefer a balanced schedule.  Not because of competition bs but just get tired of seeing the same teams 76 games a year. 

So, you either get rid of inter league play or you play everyone.  It’s the 2 ways to balance the schedule.

I wish they had gotten rid of it but this is better than any other schedule imo.

35 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Think of it as a way for the Os to pick up fans in New markets that don't get to see them regularly, if at all.  Or,  a chance for fans that don't live in AL East markets to get a chance to see their team play more often than once every 8 or 9 years.  

It also levels the playing field for teams that play in strong divisions and helps get the best teams into the playoffs. 

I don't care about them.  I care about me.  

:)