Is Hyde The Manager Moving Forward?

ORIOLE33

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Not if you listen to twitterverse.  It’s astonishing how much crap he gets for every single little move and how people think he should be fired.

It's the Twitterverse.  If Hyde has Mateo batting 8th instead of 7th tonight people are giving up on the wildcard.  And others would be giving up if he batted him 7th instead of 8th.

First rule of social media: All coaching/managing/GM decisions are dumb, except possibly in the five minutes after a come-from-behind victory.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Because people don’t take into account the relatively poor roster he is dealing with.

Also because the typical fan judges a manager by "if play resulted in good thing, it was a good decision, if it wasn't a good thing the manager is stupid."  Without any acknowledgment whatsoever that about 67% of plate appearances result in an out.

3 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Davey Johnson says Hi.

Honest question: did that team win in spite of Johnson or because of him? In other words, had he lost the clubhouse but the team won regardless? (I don't recall.)

Because I think the current team loves Hyde and he seems to be a big reason for them gelling and having success. It would hurt the chemistry to remove him now. 

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

Honest question: did that team win in spite of Johnson or because of him? In other words, had he lost the clubhouse but the team won regardless? (I don't recall.)

I don't think he lost the clubhouse, he lost the owner.  This was in Angelos' mini-Steinbrenner era where he fired Jon Miller, John Lowenstein, and a string of managers including Johnson, Oates, Regan, Miller.  Fired Johnny Oates, the nicest guy ever, after he went 63-49. Fired Davey when he won 98 and was manager of the year.

I never heard that the players didn't like Davey.

And, yes, Davey resigned, didn't get fired.  But the writing was on the wall.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

42 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Fired Johnny Oates, the nicest guy ever, after he went 63-49.

The hourlong MASN program on OPACY's 30th Anniversary included a Sutcliffe anecdote about his FA recruitment.

It was basically that Johnny Oates asked him to, plus he walked him to where the mound was in the middle of the construction site.     Sutcliffe told the story that Oates was with him as a player when he was Rookie of the Year for the '79 Dodgers (age 33 Oates had a 4 OPS+ making Anthony Bemboom look like Buster Posey), and with him as a bullpen coach when he was Cy Young for the '84 Cubs.

So I figure Mike Elias pretty much just needs to ASK Carlos Correa to come, and its mostly done.

• Upvote 1