Is the American League East Championship in Play?

accinfo

On 9/3/2022 at 12:25 AM, Orioles4Life21 said:

It’s really resembling the 2012 Texas Rangers collapse 

Can you imagine a more delicious storyline than the Yanks missing the playoffs entirely because they have the greatest collapse in MLB history, end up 4th in the AL East and are passed by the Orioles who post the greatest single season turn around in MLB history?

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Can you imagine a more delicious storyline than the Yanks missing the playoffs entirely because they have the greatest collapse in MLB history, end up 4th in the AL East and are passed by the Orioles who post the greatest single season turn around in MLB history?

Now that would be fantastic!

50 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Absolutely fantastic.  I love when the Yankees fail. :)

What the league should really notice is how competitive this division is, tho.  3 or potentially 4 teams in the Playoffs from one division is not good for the game, imo.  The Yanks falling out completely would be so satisfying!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bluedog said:

I wouldn’t mind getting the Yankees in the first round after Tampa passes them in the East. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Absolutely fantastic.  I love when the Yankees fail. :)

What the league should really notice is how competitive this division is, tho.  3 or potentially 4 teams in the Playoffs from one division is not good for the game, imo.  The Yanks falling out completely would be so satisfying!

They're all competitive for different reasons. Some for spending, some for drafting, and some for drafting and spending. I don't understand how looking at the AL East brings someone to a conclusion that this is bad for baseball?

I'm hoping the new schedule will kinda work some of this stuff out next year.

1 hour ago, bluedog said:

AS Tony Reali mentioned the other day on ESPN, the NYYs already own the greatest collapse in a post-season series. They look to be hard at work matching that for the regular season.

• Upvote 1

On 9/3/2022 at 7:49 AM, Frobby said:

If the O’s don’t make the playoffs, the Yankees blowing the division title would be a nice consolation prize.  However, the fact that they’d be in the playoffs anyway and wouldn’t face a one-game elimination wouid take some of the pleasure away.  For many reasons, I wish we’d played them tougher this year.  5-11 and Judge has 9 homers and a 1.384 OPS against us.  

I’m thinking the 3 games we have against them later this month might be different. They’re a different team now, so are we. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’m thinking the 3 games we have against them later this month might be different. They’re a different team now, so are we. 

I remember the O's nearly winning the division one year against the Brewers when they were 3 games back with 4 games against Milwaukee to end the season. The O's won the first three games to tie everything up going into the final day. Palmer was on the mound for the final game and unfortunately we lost, but it is a great reminder of how big late season head to head series can be for teams trying to close a largish gap in the standings.

The O's are 7 back today in the loss column. I can easily see us picking up 4 more games before we play the Yankees the final week of the season.

How exciting would it be if we entered that 3 game series just 3 games back of them? REALLY long odds to sweep them, but the excitement would be HUGE.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bluedog said:

Would be incredible lol

3 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

They're all competitive for different reasons. Some for spending, some for drafting, and some for drafting and spending. I don't understand how looking at the AL East brings someone to a conclusion that this is bad for baseball?

I'm hoping the new schedule will kinda work some of this stuff out next year.

We'll have to see how it works out, but having a Playoff that whittles down to four teams in one division sort of alienates the rest of the league's fans to the postseason, I would think.  It's an anomaly to have 4 anyway.  Maybe it's just me.  I like the match-ups you don't see often in the normal run of the season.  Which is also why I'd like a more balanced schedule.  But none of this is really part of the discussion here, so let's all just root for a total collapse of the Yanks and then there will only be 3 East teams in anyway. :)

3 hours ago, bluedog said:

I remember the O's nearly winning the division one year against the Brewers when they were 3 games back with 4 games against Milwaukee to end the season. The O's won the first three games to tie everything up going into the final day. Palmer was on the mound for the final game and unfortunately we lost, but it is a great reminder of how big late season head to head series can be for teams trying to close a largish gap in the standings.

The O's are 7 back today in the loss column. I can easily see us picking up 4 more games before we play the Yankees the final week of the season.

How exciting would it be if we entered that 3 game series just 3 games back of them? REALLY long odds to sweep them, but the excitement would be HUGE.

Kinda reading my mind there! That’s asking for a lot but it’d be awesome. 

Rays only 3 out in the loss column after the Twins eeked out a win at Yankee Stadium last night.  

Because I love ridiculous stats, now that the season series is complete, it is always good to revisit the numbers in the Twins vs. Yankees "rivalry."  Since 2002, the Twins record against NY in the regular season is 38-98 (.279).  This is made more amazing by the fact that the Twins are actually 1614-1525 (.514) against the rest of the major leagues in that time.  Even better are the numbers in the seasons the Twins are actually an above .500 team overall.  In those years, the Twins are 21-58 (.266) against NY and 1077-823 (.567) against everyone else.  And of course the cherry on top which isn't even counted in any of the above.....the 2-16 playoff record against NY.