Cubs trade DeRosa to Indians; Does this mean Pie for Olson back on??

section36

Whenb have I ever said anything about his trades. I've said many a time he did very well and supported those moves. That being said I've said he needs to do more and not rest on those few deals.

How does making a deal just to make a deal help us? How do we know we were ever offered fair value on anybody on our roster?

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BB is talking of a chance for a Peavy trade.

I wouldn't count on that. I don't think the Cubs can take on more salary until after the completed sale, which was the need to dump Marquis before, but with trading DeRosa and signing Bradley, they are picking up a chunk of the money they just cleared. Bradley will cost about the same as Marquis did.

Marquis and Derosa

vs

Bradley, Miles, Vizcano, three pitching prospects added to the system

I think they are better.

This is almost identical to:

Hernandez

vs,

Izturis, Freel, Waring, Hendrickson and Turner

Hendry is a hard-working, capable GM. MacPhail is plodding along...

There's no way that the Cubs are trading DeRosa just for these 3 prospects and keeping them. They are shedding the payroll to go get Peavy. Before all these moves the Cubs had 10 million to spend. They needed a RF and a SP. Milton Bradley was that $10 million player they could spend on. But they wanted Peavy as well, who will cost about $10 more million. So now they traded Marquis and DeRosa which saves them about $10 million. See how this all adds up?? Now for their infield they have Theriot, Fonteot, Miles, and Cedeno. Not all of them will be on the team. And they also have these 3 pitching prospects that they have no use for. Those 3 pitchers, along with Cedeno, and Vitters, Hart, and maybe Pie (Olson), will all go to SD for Peavy. Cubs win in every facet of their trades. They go from DeRosa and Marquis to Bradley and Peavy and it only costs them 10 million. While adding Miles and Vizcaino.

Thanks, Frobby.

There are few folks on this board who don't acknowledge that patience and deliberateness has certain costs. How great those costs are remain undetermined.

Patience is all that anyone has preached, that I can tell. And even if a poster determines that patience is impossible, why that poster would choose to post thread after thread harping on the same issue is beyond me. I just don't understand it.

I know I am responding to this late ...But I couldn't resist.... Havent you guys figured out the obviuos. If the front office made some substantial move to improve the club they would be rewarded by improved attendance.

Once a game is played with emtpy seats the revenue is lost and can never be recovered. The More empty seats the higher the lost revenue.

Money spent on a Sheets,Dunn, (still possible) or Tex,Burnett would've helped the team fill a good portion of those seats that almost certainly will be empty.

Hardly anyone here will run out & buy tickets because of the addition of Freel,Izturis, Hendrickson, or even Zaun if it happens.

There's no way that the Cubs are trading DeRosa just for these 3 prospects and keeping them. They are shedding the payroll to go get Peavy. Before all these moves the Cubs had 10 million to spend. They needed a RF and a SP. Milton Bradley was that $10 million player they could spend on. But they wanted Peavy as well, who will cost about $10 more million. So now they traded Marquis and DeRosa which saves them about $10 million. See how this all adds up?? Now for their infield they have Theriot, Fonteot, Miles, and Cedeno. Not all of them will be on the team. And they also have these 3 pitching prospects that they have no use for. Those 3 pitchers, along with Cedeno, and Vitters, Hart, and maybe Pie (Olson), will all go to SD for Peavy. Cubs win in every facet of their trades. They go from DeRosa and Marquis to Bradley and Peavy and it only costs them 10 million. While adding Miles and Vizcaino.

That would make sense, but a 7-for-1 deal?

Archived