Cubs trade DeRosa to Indians; Does this mean Pie for Olson back on??

section36

That being said I've said he needs to do more and not rest on those few deals.
I agree with you here, more needs to be done.

However, there aren't really a ton of assets he has at his disposal that will net us more talent. Roberts obviously is the trade chip right now. You could argue he'll have more value at the deadline than now. Either way, I don't see him bringing back a great Bedard- or Tejada-like package. If we get one good prospect and a second useful one, I'll be pleased.

Scott and Sherrill are guys that I think will be more valuable midseason, largely because teams could simply spend some cash and get similar players through FA rather than trade away talent.

I really don't think we'll get any offers for Huff that are better than two 2010 draft picks. At least not right now, maybe at the deadline if he has another big first half.

Guthrie is the one guy that could really bring back some serious talent, either right now or later. However, I think its very unlikely he's traded, and I'd probably wait until the deadline anyways as I think his value will be higher then than now. I do think it'd be wise to trade him sometime before the 2010 season, but before the 2009 season may not be the best time, I can see it going either way.

So, you can make a pretty decent argument that there really isn't much he should do right now. A few guys could be moved now, or they could have higher value easily at the deadline. I agree he should be working on seeing what value these guys have to other teams right now. Beyond that, the only things he could really do right now are search for diamonds in the rough like Guthrie a few years ago.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is almost identical to:

Hernandez

vs,

Izturis, Freel, Waring, Hendrickson and Turner

Hendry is a hard-working, capable GM. MacPhail is plodding along...

I think the issue is that McPhail has no interest in results this coming season, he is making moves with another year in mind, which is why they don't really make sense right now. The downside to that is it looks like the only moves he is making to improve in ANY year involve the draft, which would mean that year he is playing for is more like 2013 than 2010.

I agree with you here, more needs to be done.

However, there aren't really a ton of assets he has at his disposal that will net us more talent. Roberts obviously is the trade chip right now. You could argue he'll have more value at the deadline than now. Either way, I don't see him bringing back a great Bedard- or Tejada-like package. If we get one good prospect and a second useful one, I'll be pleased.

Scott and Sherrill are guys that I think will be more valuable midseason, largely because teams could simply spend some cash and get similar players through FA rather than trade away talent.

I really don't think we'll get any offers for Huff that are better than two 2010 draft picks. At least not right now, maybe at the deadline if he has another big first half.

Guthrie is the one guy that could really bring back some serious talent, either right now or later. However, I think its very unlikely he's traded, and I'd probably wait until the deadline anyways as I think his value will be higher then than now. I do think it'd be wise to trade him sometime before the 2010 season, but before the 2009 season may not be the best time, I can see it going either way.

So, you can make a pretty decent argument that there really isn't much he should do right now. A few guys could be moved now, or they could have higher value easily at the deadline. I agree he should be working on seeing what value these guys have to other teams right now. Beyond that, the only things he could really do right now are search for diamonds in the rough like Guthrie a few years ago.

This pretty much clicks with what I've been saying all along. Those are the assets. It'll be interesting to see what we do with them.

I think the issue is that McPhail has no interest in results this coming season, he is making moves with another year in mind, which is why they don't really make sense right now. The downside to that is it looks like the only moves he is making to improve in ANY year involve the draft, which would mean that year he is playing for is more like 2013 than 2010.

Right, and that's if everything goes right. We could be looking at possibly 20 straight losing seasons if it doesn't...

Had we signed Tex, Burnett and say Sheets or Kawakami, the losing would have ended in 2010 if not 2009 IMO...

How does making a deal just to make a deal help us? How do we know we were ever offered fair value on anybody on our roster?

The problem is that AM deals have been pretty lopsided thus far. Thats fine, but for a team with many holes & that needs to deal guys like Roberts (who I doubt will resign) sometimes the deals that can be done easier (you know the fair ones) can help too!

That would make sense, but a 7-for-1 deal?

That's what the Padres GM wants. He wants a 7 or 8 for 1 deal. He wants to get a ton of prospects and a few MLB ready pitchers. This Stevens guy the Cubs are getting is MLB ready. Kevin Hart and or Marshall are mlb read. Olson would is MLB ready. Then they get a few minor league pitchers, and Vitters who is a stud. And Cedeno to fill their MI hole. The Cubs are really only giving up 5 guys. DeRosa, Pie, Vitters, Hart, Cedeno. Thats well worth Peavy. Add or subtract 2 guys like Marshall, Guzman, Wuertz. Something along those lines.

I think this mischaracterizes the intent behind 98% of all baseball personnel moves. None of these offseason housekeeping moves are being made with a specific year in mind, so far as I can tell. They are housekeeping moves, and so far have been pretty solid ones.

I doubt Miles is going to be a 4 million dollar bench player, possible but not likely...
They have Fontenot, Miles, Theriot, and Cedeno, someone is likely to be moved IMO. The 3 pitchers they got for DeRosa aren't enough to get Peavy. If they want to keep Vitters, a Pie Olson trade might still be in the offing, or Olson and Roberts for Pie, Hill, Cedeno and others.

I know I am responding to this late ...But I couldn't resist.... Havent you guys figured out the obviuos. If the front office made some substantial move to improve the club they would be rewarded by improved attendance.

Once a game is played with emtpy seats the revenue is lost and can never be recovered. The More empty seats the higher the lost revenue.

Money spent on a Sheets,Dunn, (still possible) or Tex,Burnett would've helped the team fill a good portion of those seats that almost certainly will be empty.

Hardly anyone here will run out & buy tickets because of the addition of Freel,Izturis, Hendrickson, or even Zaun if it happens.

What's obvious is that marketing analysis (done by our beloved Mr. Beane) shows that signing marquee names only helps attendance if there is an attendant (no pun intended) increase in wins. So, the idea that any of those guys, if they gave us the 3, 4, or 5 more wins they're predicted to, would likely have improved attendance only marginally. And not "filled a good portion of those seats."

So...no, I guess I'm not aware of what you think is obvious.

How does making a deal just to make a deal help us? How do we know we were ever offered fair value on anybody on our roster?

Dude it's not only about being offered fair value for our players. It's targeting another teams player then maybe dealing some of our prospects. When is the last time we acquired talent that way? Sosa?? I don't know but that seems to be a street we don't go down.

What Moves????

Archived