Wells starting tonight

eddie83

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

I thought he could have taken Spencer Watkins spots in the rotation and potentially kept it. I guess that could still happen, but just no playoff roster spot for him

It's entirely possible.  But roster flexibility comes into play now that Wells was activated and Watkins sent down.  If there's an expectation that GRod makes an appearance this season, someone will still have to come off the 40-man/28-man roster.  Still a month to go in the season so anything can happen to the rotation.  Crossing fingers for nothing bad.

Is Watkins really going down or are they just doing some paperwork.  Watkins goes down today so has to stay down for 10 days unless a player gets injured.  If it is true Lyles can’t pitch this weekend then you could IL him Friday and recall Watkins to take his spot of injured player.  If you IL Lyles today both him and Watkins are not available and you have to keep Watkins up while he not available.  Pushing Watkins supposedly gives you extra few days to see how Lyles is doing but also leaves him available to return to pen  Friday if you IL Lyles Friday and retroactive it.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

Voth was an opener for his first few starts as they built him up.  That's actually worked out pretty well, both in those starts and in building him up slowly.

I like it.  If Kremer is that affected by starting in inning 3 or 4 instead of 1, on his normal day to pitch, then that's an issue anyway.  It shouldn't be a big deal assuming it was explained to him in advance.  Hopefully these two can combine for at least 7 if not more.

Considering how visibly upset Kremer gets at getting pulled mid-inning from a start, they probably figure he has the fire and determination to prove he can handle such a trifling change and will do his darnedest to pitch deeper than they expect.

2 hours ago, 86this said:

Unless the plan is for him to stay after a start, he'd have to be exposed to waivers.  So essentially, one and done?

Usually vets like that have an opt out in the MiL deals. His circumstances were a little different but I would imagine that if a club wanted him at any point this season he would have been moved. 

I'm impressed that he's stuck around in AAA this season when he obviously has the means to move on with his life.

With the benefit of the retrospectoscope, I am not a fan of this decision. I thought it adversely effected Kremer's preparation and performance. I saw no benefit to it from Wells point of view. If anything you leave Kremer to start and allow him to go through his pre-game routine as he always does. Wells has experience in the BP and you bring him out after Kremer is done. Just do not understand the reasoning by Hyde. I think it was a tactical error.

I liked it then and like it now.  Top of the Jays lineup has been killing us.  Wells got through it with just a run allowed.  Kremer pitched well, we only let up 4 runs (3 earned) to a red hot offense without needing to go to our A-squad of relievers.

Bats let us down, again (albeit at least against a good pitcher this time).

3 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

With the benefit of the retrospectoscope, I am not a fan of this decision. I thought it adversely effected Kremer's preparation and performance. I saw no benefit to it from Wells point of view. If anything you leave Kremer to start and allow him to go through his pre-game routine as he always does. Wells has experience in the BP and you bring him out after Kremer is done. Just do not understand the reasoning by Hyde. I think it was a tactical error.

Kremer pitched pretty well, and retired the first six batters he faced.

The reasoning is not based in reality.  

3 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Overall it worked out.  Mullins misjudging the flyball and the Adley throw really hurt them.

As it was, the 2 pitchers combined for 7.1 IP and gave up 3 ER, 4 runs overall. 

They threw 71% of their pitches for strikes.

It was the right call and had zero impact on Kremer, unless you think for some reason having his third inning of work be in the fifth inning messed him up, which it didn’t. 

Blaming this loss on that decision is just complaining to complain. 

Edited by Fiver6565

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Wells left with a tie intact. Kremer came in looking sharp. There was no evidence his pregame routine had any effect. Bottom line, we could not score. Kremer and Wells would have had to be lights out to win that game and it probably doesn't matter if they are flipped. 

16 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I know you expressed your admiration of him, but that fat little catcher on the Jays dumping in two bloops in last night was infuriating.

I’ve concluded he must have very strong hands.  Both those balls were hit off the fists but somehow carried over the infielders.   

I hear what everyone is saying. We will have to agree to disagree. 

My view is that Kremer had little to no momentum in that game. He pitched OK but hardly was at his best.

Why mess with success? Why ask a young pitcher, who is finding his way in the league, to suddenly change his routine? What advantage does it provide the team in a critical game against one of the best hitting teams in baseball?

If it had been Lyles, I would not have batted an eye. But Kremer has had recent success and was in a groove. Had he started and gone through that lineup without any trouble in the first 3 innings he might have given the O's 6-7 innings without a run. As it was, he pitched ok. But we needed better than ok and I think he had to overcome something that was unnecessary. That's all I'm saying.