Wednesday, September 7: Orioles try to split series with Toronto

SteveA

A lot you can do with 9 outs.  I understand the whole “be more patient” approach, but when a pitcher is on his game, he isn’t going to put you on base.  You have to identify good pitches and attack.  You have to hit your way to the win.  There have been some pitches to hit, guys got good hacks, and came up short.   Not too many swings on pitches way outside of the zone.  They are just missing the few mistakes he’s throwing.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

A lot you can do with 9 outs.  I understand the whole “be more patient” approach, but when a pitcher is on his game, he isn’t going to put you on base.  You have to identify good pitches and attach.  You have to hit your way to the win.  There have been some pitches to hit, guys got good hacks, and came up short.   Not too many swings on pitches way outside of the zone.  They are just missing the few mistakes he’s throwing.  

Agreed. And when a pitcher's on his game, some of those pitches look fat until they don't (about six inches away from the plate). It's easy for us to complain. 

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it (or successful at it). 

Edited by NashLumber

I'm really not that upset that they are getting the best of us. I mean after all they were preseason World Series favorites according to many prognosticators. 

The O's have given their all and outperformed any expectation anyone could have had for them (including the GM).

We're not far away and next year we won't give away so many games in the first few months of the season by not fielding our best team.

However, we are going to have to improve our roster to get past them next year. 

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I understand that Grayson has a higher pedigree. And I hope that he is better. But that is a lot of pressure to put on a guy in their first year out of the gate.

And even if Grayson is just as good or better, we still don't have anyone as good as Gausman currently on our staff. 

We can hope everything falls into place and we outperform the talent gap. I would just like to improve our odds of beating them by adding more high end talent to our team next year.

Manoah was a rookie last year.. was it too much “pressure” for him?  Lol.   We Oriole fans seem to think guys like Manoah just appear on other teams but not ours because we haven’t had one since Mussina.  
In his second year, Grayson will outpitch Manoah’s second year which is this year, imho. 

Either way, only way Elias goes for a TOR is via the trade route imho and that will remain to be seen.  I would much rather have a big time bat if I have to choose. 

plus a healthy Means who has two seasons with WAR of 4.4 and 3.7 match up just fine with an aging Gausman next year. 

And it is not clear to me what the ceilings are just yet for Bradish and Wells.