Wednesday, September 7: Orioles try to split series with Toronto

SteveA

15 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Alcantara I agree is most definitely a TOR #1 guy. But it is going to take a boat load of prospects to get him, if the Marlins are even willing to move him. What price in prospects would you be willing to pay?

Lopez, I'm not so much sold on him being a #1. I have questions about how much better he is than what we have. Plus he only is under contract for 2 years. If we trade from our major league team thus weakening our offense (which is only league average now), how much better will we be as a team? Or maybe asked another way, how much closer does that move put us to winning a pennant? It seems like that move would have to be accompanied by other moves.

The way I see it we will have at least 1 IF and 1 OF/1B to trade.

I don't see Urias/Mateo/Henderson all being on the team next year, so I think Urias or Mateo gets dealt.

I don't see Mullins/Hays/Santander/Stowers/Mountcastle all being on the team next year with Cowser knocking on the door, so one of those guys will go.

So that's two ML pieces that can go in a deal, and you throw in one good prospect (Mayo or Kjerstad or ???), that's a respectable package I think that should bring a pretty good starter, especially if there's a team out there who doesn't want to pay a good starter going into his arb years.

I don't have someone in mind, just looking at that as a general framework of an idea.

Edited by SteveA

Well, our wild card bid isn't dead, but it has moved to longshot territory.

At this point, the goal is to be 3 back of Toronto going into that final series starting October 3.  Shades of 1982.

If we take 2 of 3 from them in Toronto, we have to make up 4 games in the loss column the rest of the way.   Going 2-0 in Washington while they go 1-4 in those 5 games vs Tampa, then playing even with them in all other games.

Likely?   No.   But not impossible.

I want to walk up to Oriole Park on October 3 with the sun already set before gametime, knowing we can make it with a sweep.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The way I see it we will have at least 1 IF and 1 OF/1B to trade.

I don't see Urias/Mateo/Henderson all being on the team next year, so I think Urias or Henderson gets dealt.

I don't see Mullins/Hays/Santander/Stowers/Mountcastle all being on the team next year with Cowser knocking on the door, so one of those guys will go.

So that's two ML pieces that can go in a deal, and you throw in one good prospect (Mayo or Kjerstad or ???), that's a respectable package I think that should bring a pretty good starter, especially if there's a team out there who doesn't want to pay a good starter going into his arb years.

I don't have someone in mind, just looking at that as a general framework of an idea.

I surely hope we are not considering dealing Henderson under any circumstance. Urias is no where near equivalent value to be on the level of a Henderson. Henderson is a franchise cornerstone along with Adley and Grayson, you don't trade those guys away before their rookie year, unless you are getting an uber star player.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

I surely hope we are not considering dealing Henderson under any circumstance. Urias is no where near equivalent value to be on the level of a Henderson. Henderson is a franchise cornerstone along with Adley and Grayson, you don't trade those guys away before their rookie year, unless you are getting an uber star player.

Typo, I meant to say Urias or Mateo.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Henderson gets traded and the fans will riot unless the return is Ohtani. 

IMO Ohtani wouldn't even be acceptable given his contract status. He's a FA after next season. Ohtani in all of his greatness is not worth Henderson for one year of him.

If the O's traded Henderson, yeah my pitchfork would be out...lol

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

IMO Ohtani wouldn't even be acceptable given his contract status. He's a FA after next season. Ohtani in all of his greatness is not worth Henderson for one year of him.

If the O's traded Henderson, yeah my pitchfork would be out...lol

Yeah and I agree. I was trying to think of enough of a star player that might satisfy the fans for trading MLB's #1 prospect.  Ohtani's contract status definitely affects his trade value. 

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Holy crap, I meant Urias or Mateo.   No idea why i typed that.   Original post edit coming up.

Ok. Makes more sense. But even if we were to package all of Mateo, Urias, Cowser, and Kjerstad; what kind of player could we get? I'm not sure it's a TOR starter or a big middle of the bat hitter.

Btw, is there a reason for being strongly resistive to the idea of being aggressive in FA?

We are literally paying nobody. So the time to add would be now if we are going to do so. If we added say a Verlander  level guy on a shorter term  (2/3 year contract) at high AAV, how does that hurt us? If it doesn't work out, he will be long gone before we have to pay Adley, Henderson, Holiday or whoever.