What happened to the fanbase? Only 8,000 last night

Greenpastures23

2 minutes ago, mojmann said:

Just one man's opinion, but I think that's overblown .... magically, I guess, the perception of horrible stadium-area crime stops on those days when those huge crowds come in for Paul McCartney and the Ravens. 

That concert was a one off and the Ravens play 8 or 9 home games a year, usually in the middle of the day.

They aren’t comparable.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, mojmann said:

Just one man's opinion, but I think that's overblown .... magically, I guess, the perception of horrible stadium-area crime stops on those days when those huge crowds come in for Paul McCartney and the Ravens. 

I agree …there are certain places you don’t go in Baltimore. The Harbor and Camden Yards are pretty safe.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

People have to remember that almost all the tickets are sold before the season starts.

Between season tickets and group sales, most of that is done in the offseason.  The Os weren’t supposed to be good, so not a lot of season tickets were sold. Also, they have several Different plans and some plans sell better than others.  The Sunday plan, for example, is usually the most popular.   So, a game like last night, may not have been on a popular plan.

The Orioles still average about 3k walk up a night.  That number will obviously be less on a school night, particularly one where the weather isn’t great.

The Orioles basically know what the attendance will be before OD ever starts.  Take whatever number you are already at, add 250k or so, add in whatever you get for advanced ticket sales during the season (which isn’t nothing but it’s not a lot) and it’s pretty easy to come up with the number.

Next year I would think You see a huge boost in attendance if the Os capitalize on this season and give the fans something to be excited about in the offseason.  

Well, it typically is true that a team will get more walk-up when it suddenly improves.  Look at 2012, attendance increased by 350,000.   I’d bet that zero of that was an increase in season ticket sales.   In that vein, it’s pretty sad to see less than 9,000 people at an important September game.  Still, you don’t overcome four years of utterly noncompetitive baseball plus a pandemic in one season.  Next year season ticket sales will tick up and crowds will be better.  

PS - by “walk-up,” I mean tickets sold within a few days of the game, not tickets sold at the window on game day. 

Edited by Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, it typically is true that a team will get more walk-up when it suddenly improves.  Look at 2012, attendance increased by 350,000.   I’d bet that zero of that was an increase in season ticket sales.   In that vein, it’s pretty sad to see less than 9,000 people at an important September game.  Still, you don’t overcome four years of utterly noncompetitive baseball plus a pandemic in one season.  Next year season ticket sales will tick up and crowds will be better.  

PS - by “walk-up,” I mean tickets sold within a few days of the game, not tickets sold at the window on game day. 

Well, walk up is defined as day of game sales.

9 hours ago, Dale said:

Whatever happened to the plan to start weekday games during a portion of the season at 6:35.  Wasn't that supposed to be in effect for 2020? 

Yes it was, but from what I can recall it never actually happened even when fans started coming back in 2021. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, it typically is true that a team will get more walk-up when it suddenly improves.  Look at 2012, attendance increased by 350,000.   I’d bet that zero of that was an increase in season ticket sales. 

I bought 40 season tickets prior to that year because of the excitement of them getting their 9th-choice GM and the high-profile signing of Wilson Betemit.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

I don't think O's fans who witnessed the glory years really grasp how little this franchise has given anyone under the age of 35 anything to root for.

I was born in 91. I was too young to remember 2131 or the 96/97 ALCSs. My memories of specific teams begin around 2000. The first real winning season for me was 2012, when I was 21. My childhood was defined by the O's being one of the biggest losers in American professional sports. I spent my entire childhood/adolescence waiting for the Wieters/Jones/Tillman/Manny/Britton core, and they never really put it together. Then back to the dark ages we went. There are generations of O's fans who have no connection to the Orioles being a competent franchise.

I'm also from Montgomery County and chose the O's because there was no team in DC. Not sure why a kid from the DMV would choose the O's anymore, so the fanbase has shrunk from that. All of this has coincided with baseball in general losing its footing. And the Ravens' organizational brilliance magnifies the Orioles' ineptitude.

It's going to take winning and a lot of it to bring people to the Yard again.

A good friend of mine has a son who is around 13.  He has played baseball his whole life.  Loves the sport but never got into the Os until this year.

For what he can remember and understand, this is really the first time he has seen the Os win.  That age group has basically missed out on that.  Yea, some people watch because they love it but kids nowadays have way more to distract them than we ever did.

When you suck as much as they have (and do it on purpose), that’s the risk you take.  You alienate what could be your future fan base and then, you just expect everyone to forget all that losing as soon as you start winning.

It doesn’t work that way.