Dook

Pedro Cerrano

Give me a break.

Duke wins way more than anyone...They play smarter defense than anyone(and thus foul less)...They are more aggressive than most teams.

Lots of reasons why they get more foul shots...TO look at numbers like that is a joke and you know it.

They do NOT play smarter defense. They appear to play smarter defense because they can get away with things that other teams can't.

Look, you can protest all you want. We all know what the reality is. And we all know that there are numbers to back it up.

If you'd just admit that there's an inherent advantage, you might actually consider taking pride in it. At least that's what I'd do in your situation.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it is not the difference of 4-6 wins...It is that Duke is almost always winning the game at crunch time...It is not some back and forth struggle, where no teams are fouling.

You can not look at raw foul figures...It clearly does not tell the story and anyone who thinks it does is crazy.

And it is not the difference of 4-6 wins...It is that Duke is almost always winning the game at crunch time...It is not some back and forth struggle, where no teams are fouling.

You can not look at raw foul figures...It clearly does not tell the story and anyone who thinks it does is crazy.

That's preposterous. If Dook is winning more games, they are also winning more games by blowout. And we all know that teams don't bother fouling at the end of a blowout. So it all balances out. The FTA numbers tell an awful lot.

You can't have it both ways.

Oh, and BTW, don't think we don't all notice the parade of patsies they line up early in the season that further pads the record. All of those are huge blowouts without fouling at the end, so don't tell me that the numbers should be so skewed.

They do NOT play smarter defense. They appear to play smarter defense because they can get away with things that other teams can't.

Look, you can protest all you want. We all know what the reality is. And we all know that there are numbers to back it up.

If you'd just admit that there's an inherent advantage, you might actually consider taking pride in it. At least that's what I'd do in your situation.

I did say that Duke has an advantage...But to act like they are the only team is a joke and to act like they do not have an advantage because they are much better, are winning most games and are more aggressive is also a joke.

All good teams shoot more FT's than their opponents make.

I think Duke is even better about that this year because of JJ and how he drives and is intelligence with his head fakes.

That's preposterous. If Dook is winning more games, they are also winning more games by blowout. And we all know that teams don't bother fouling at the end of a blowout. So it all balances out. The FTA numbers tell an awful lot.

You can't have it both ways.

Oh, and BTW, don't think we don't all notice the parade of patsies they line up early in the season that further pads the record. All of those are huge blowouts without fouling at the end, so don't tell me that the numbers should be so skewed.

LOL.....Pasties? They play as good a non conference schedule as anyone...The mid majors they play are always teams that win their conferences or are very good in their conference.

Unlike MD who plays crap mid majors.

And btw, every team plays those teams so why are you even bringing that up? You are such a child when you talk about Duke.

Hatred or not, let's see some intelligence.

All good teams shoot more FT's than their opponents make.

Just not as many more as Dook does.

I showed you 5 top programs in the ACC. The numbers were pretty obvious. All of them are good teams. Dook should be slightly better, but not as much as they are.

Look, Carolina also gets the benefit of calls a lot. It's the nature of having a high-profile, high-tradition program. That's why you see UNC's number at 67%, but Maryland's at only 83%.

Dook's number compared to UNC's this year (55% to 67%) MIGHT be attributable to the difference in their talent levels this year. I don't think you can explain that much of a difference away so easily, but let's assume that's true.

It still means that Dook gets the benefit of about 5-15% more calls than do programs like Maryland, BC, and NC State.

I don't think that's something you can argue with. Like I said, it's oemthing you might even take pride in and flaunt.

But my reasons given for this difference still hold. K is a bully and he gets his way whether Dook deserves it or not. There's an advantage for both UNC and for Dook, but the advantage to Dook has taken on a life of its own in the past few years.

LOL.....Pasties? They play as good a non conference schedule as anyone...The mid majors they play are always teams that win their conferences or are very good in their conference.

Unlike MD who plays crap mid majors.

And btw, every team plays those teams so why are you even bringing that up? You are such a child when you talk about Duke.

Hatred or not, let's see some intelligence.

It's funny that I'm the only one producing quotes and stats, and yet I'm the one who's being childish.

I'm only trying to represent what we all know is true in a more well-defined way. There is more than just anecdotal evidence in this case. The numbers back it up, and the quotes from respected basketball sources, including opposing coaches who are liable to be fined for their comments, also lead to the same conclusion.

Look, the last thing I'd do is defend Dook, but SG himself admitted it was an awful no-call late. One thing I will say, refs in general do not like blowing the whistle that late and have a game decided on the stripe, happens all the time. That said, a whistle should have been blown.

ND, ALL great programs during their hey-day get the calls. When Pitino was with Kentucky, when Dean Smith was at UNC and I'm sure when the likes of Wooden and as far back as Rupp (although I wasn't alive for their periods of greatness). It's the nature of the beast. Today, Coach Ratface gets the calls and if anything, it should make a victory over Dook that much sweeter, knowing you beat their group of overrated bums as well as the refs on any given night.

ND, ALL great programs during their hey-day get the calls. When Pitino was with Kentucky, when Dean Smith was at UNC and I'm sure when the likes of Wooden and as far back as Rupp (although I wasn't alive for their periods of greatness). It's the nature of the beast. Today, Coach Ratface gets the calls and if anything, it should make a victory over Dook that much sweeter, knowing you beat their group of overrated bums as well as the refs on any given night.

I don't dispute this one bit. In fact, it's what I've been saying all along. But the fact is that Coach Ratface is the beneficiary of this advantage now. That is virtually indisputable as well. And if you'd like to know the reasons, it's because a) they are a premier program; b) they are the national media darlings; and c) he bullies the refs in a way that Pitino, Smith, and Wooden wouldn't dared to have done.

It's funny that I'm the only one producing quotes and stats, and yet I'm the one who's being childish.

I'm only trying to represent what we all know is true in a more well-defined way. There is more than just anecdotal evidence in this case. The numbers back it up, and the quotes from respected basketball sources, including opposing coaches who are liable to be fined for their comments, also lead to the same conclusion.

This has nothing to do with "pasties" on the schedule.

Although, i suppose you are going to tell me Cleveland St and Gardner Webb are elite programs. :rolleyes:

Look, the last thing I'd do is defend Dook, but SG himself admitted it was an awful no-call late. One thing I will say, refs in general do not like blowing the whistle that late and have a game decided on the stripe, happens all the time. That said, a whistle should have been blown.

Someone who gets it.

BTW, i think the call was not made because i think only one ref was there and he was out of position...He was behiond Sheldon so from his vantage point, it may have looked like a no call or a block.

I don't dispute this one bit. In fact, it's what I've been saying all along. But the fact is that Coach Ratface is the beneficiary of this advantage now. That is virtually indisputable as well. And if you'd like to know the reasons, it's because a) they are a premier program; b) they are the national media darlings; and c) he bullies the refs in a way that Pitino, Smith, and Wooden wouldn't dared to have done.

Which is why i brought up UNC and MJ to begin with...Great players/programs get the benefits of calls...As a UNC fan, you should know this.

Archived