Struck out. All weekend.

Moose Milligan

No, you pitch to him as the situation dictates. No more - no less. What I want is the Sanks to sign him to some insane contract and have it be Davis like for much longer than it is positive. I don't dislike Judge and like that he is putting the Sanks in an interesting position. Hope they bite because I don't think Judge will age well.

Honestly, I'd be fine if we adopted this not just against Judge, but against all "hotter than the surface of our Sun" hitters that roll through town. 

I'm tired of watching the on-fire Mookie Bettses and Aaron Judges and Bo Bichettes of the world OPSing 1200 and hitting 5 homers in a series against our team.

A walk is the least damaging way to put someone on base; they just get first and all other runners only advance the minimum amount possible.  We really need to point to first when there's an open base with these types of guys far more often, rather than letting them do so much more damage to us when we don't.

9 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Honestly, I'd be fine if we adopted this not just against Judge, but against all "hotter than the surface of our Sun" hitters that roll through town. 

I'm tired of watching the on-fire Mookie Bettses and Aaron Judges and Bo Bichettes of the world OPSing 1200 and hitting 5 homers in a series against our team.

A walk is the least damaging way to put someone on base; they just get first and all other runners only advance the minimum amount possible.  We really need to point to first when there's an open base with these types of guys far more often, rather than letting them do so much more damage to us when we don't.

I want pitchers that pitch better.

4 hours ago, Too Tall said:

No, you pitch to him as the situation dictates. No more - no less. What I want is the Sanks to sign him to some insane contract and have it be Davis like for much longer than it is positive. I don't dislike Judge and like that he is putting the Sanks in an interesting position. Hope they bite because I don't think Judge will age well.

What I want for Judge is for him to sign with a non AL East team.  I believe he has at least 5 more good/great years left.  I would rather he has those years with say the Mets.  I can't imagine the angst that Yankee fans would have if Judge is across town hitting 50+ HR.  The Yankees are not near as good w/o Judge and there's no clear replacement in free agency. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

It has always been the ball. Steroids had nothing to do with hitting. 

Change the ball and hits die, change the ball and they fly out the stadium.

While I will say that we're pretty thin on hard data about what steroids and other PEDs do to performance, I have to say that they are very clearly beneficial. It would be strange, to say the least, if being stronger had no impact on hitting.  Or pitching, for that matter.

We’re already out of the playoff chase. Let’s throw him some batting practice all weekend til he breaks the “real” record and everyone can argue about whether the steroid fueled record or the batting practice thrown in a little league park is the legitimate record. 

16 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

Bo Bichette has a .329 OBP.  67% of the time he makes an out.  I don't really think turning that into a 1.000 OBP is a positive.

7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Bo Bichette has a .329 OBP.  67% of the time he makes an out.  I don't really think turning that into a 1.000 OBP is a positive.

On the surface, no it wouldn't be, and framing the argument this way makes what I said seem ridiculous. 

But please hear me out... I'm not advocating walking these guys on 100% of their plate appearances.  When the situation is favorable to us (for example: bases empty, two outs, he can't tie the game by himself in this at bat, that type of low-leverage scenario), we're still going to pitch to him, because the damage potential is as minimal as it can be. 

I think what I'm really trying to stress is the concept of BURST damage potential these guys always crush us with when we pitch to them at the wrong times.  So many times, the hottest hitter in MLB waltzes up to the plate with a couple of guys on... and we don't point to first and make his slumping or neutral teammate on-deck beat us; we pitch to stupidly-locked-in guy, and two minutes later, we're down three runs in the blink of an eye.

It reminds me a lot of playing online games competitively against other players.  There are people playing the character who does lots of damage, but spread out over time or among many of his opponents.  And that's the guy you tend to pick fights with... he could hurt you, but you are likely to survive if you outplay him. 

But then you see the guy playing the character who does a lot of damage at once in a focused burst if he happens to hit who he's firing at.  And you stay away from that guy when you see him, because if he hits you with a shot, you're just DEAD.

This scenario with pitching to the red-hot hitter feels like the baseball equivalent of that. 

Edited by Morgan423