Struck out. All weekend.

Moose Milligan

Oh we have a history of being part of Yankee lore … Cal breaking Lou’s record, and Stu Miller giving up Mickey’s 500th (when 500 meant something) .. The Yankees were spawned from the 1890s Oriole franchise moved by the fledgling AL to NY as the Highlanders for a season then Yankees

pitch to the MFY and strike his butt out four times !! 

http://mickeymantle.com/500th-home-run/

9 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Oh we have a history of being part of Yankee lore … Cal breaking Lou’s record, and Stu Miller giving up Mickey’s 500th (when 500 meant something) .. The Yankees were spawned from the 1890s Oriole franchise moved by the fledgling AL to NY as the Highlanders for a season then Yankees

pitch to the MFY and strike his butt out four times !! 

http://mickeymantle.com/500th-home-run/

Funny thing … Mantle hit 500th and for the Os, the mighty Mark Belanger hit a HR lol … his only one in 1967 and one of 20 career over 18 seasons 

Edited by tntoriole

Oh he’s going to hit it against us. I just hope it’s off a pitcher that isn’t with us for the long term. Like Lyles, or one of our up/down relievers. 

But I want to see our pitchers go at him. We’re about building respect in our franchise back, and building confidence for next year. 

Hyde is class, and it’s time we got back to that completely. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

This situation brings us back to the purpose of walks, and how they're not doing what they're supposed to do and maybe we should consider a change.  All of you who think the rules were handed to Abner Doubleday on stone tablets can go read another thread now...

Walks (and balls and strikes) were invented in the 1860s to make pitchers put the ball over the plate, and to make the batter swing and put the ball in play.  It was common for a pitcher to throw 50 or more pitches to a single batter, none of which were anywhere close to what we now call the strike zone.  So... balls, and strikes.

Clearly that's not working so well.  Not when walks afford the defense an opportunity to avoid pitching to the other team's best player at all. The penalty is not steep enough if the defense chooses to accept it pretty regularly.

So while I want Judge to hit zero homers against the Orioles this week, I'd like to see what happens if teams could decline a walk.  Or maybe a walk puts the last guy who made an out on first, and the batter gets to keep batting with a 0-0 count. And maybe a four-pitch walk becomes two bases.  It's a flaw in baseball that you can just decline to pitch to the other team's best player, just take him out of the game.  Baseball is a worse game when the stars are just walking to first instead of putting the ball in play.

Is it really a big problem?    Walking guys is only rarely a good strategy.  

Let the man hit.  Judge is a decent guy and the major league record is 73.  I don't consider Bonds' record a "real" record because of all the steroids he was on, but it's still the record.  Not sure what the insane level of hate for Judge is about.  I have no problem hating Yankees who are d-bags, but hate of random Yankee and hate of players like Roberts who went to the Yankees because no one else wanted him are over the edge.

I think what I really hate are Yankee fans.

• Upvote 1

In his career, Judge has homered against us 35 times in 84 games (79 starts).   That’s more than .4 homers per game.   So yes, I’d say the odds favor him hitting one against us this weekend.

I just want to beat the Yankees.   Anything that happens in an Orioles win is okay with me. 

Let’s say it’s the third game of the series and Judge hasn’t homered yet.  The O’s have a one-run lead, two outs in the bottom of the 9th.  Here comes Judge.

For me, that one’s a tough call.   Nobody on base, I guess I pitch to him.  Runner on 2B or 3B, no way I pitch to him.  Runner on 1B, again a really tough call because I don’t really want to put the tying run in scoring position AND put the winning run on base.

Now that I’ve thought about this, it’s almost sure it’s gonna happen.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I've been here a long time, seen a lot of crazy comments but I've never not once seen anyone root for an opponent to hit 13 homers against us in a weekend to take some kind of record.   

Think about the possibility of him actually hitting 13 HR in 3 games then think about whether or not I was serious.

I was making a joke at the absurdity of this thread.

You might like the Orioles but you don't like integrity or MLB if you want him walked all weekend.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s say it’s the third game of the series and Judge hasn’t homered yet.  The O’s have a one-run lead, two outs in the bottom of the 9th.  Here comes Judge.

For me, that one’s a tough call.   Nobody on base, I guess I pitch to him.  Runner on 2B or 3B, no way I pitch to him.  Runner on 1B, again a really tough call because I don’t really want to put the tying run in scoring position AND put the winning run on base.

Now that I’ve thought about this, it’s almost sure it’s gonna happen.  

I think any late game situation where he comes up as the tying or winning run you walk him.