Struck out. All weekend.

Moose Milligan

This situation brings us back to the purpose of walks, and how they're not doing what they're supposed to do and maybe we should consider a change.  All of you who think the rules were handed to Abner Doubleday on stone tablets can go read another thread now...

Walks (and balls and strikes) were invented in the 1860s to make pitchers put the ball over the plate, and to make the batter swing and put the ball in play.  It was common for a pitcher to throw 50 or more pitches to a single batter, none of which were anywhere close to what we now call the strike zone.  So... balls, and strikes.

Clearly that's not working so well.  Not when walks afford the defense an opportunity to avoid pitching to the other team's best player at all. The penalty is not steep enough if the defense chooses to accept it pretty regularly.

So while I want Judge to hit zero homers against the Orioles this week, I'd like to see what happens if teams could decline a walk.  Or maybe a walk puts the last guy who made an out on first, and the batter gets to keep batting with a 0-0 count. And maybe a four-pitch walk becomes two bases.  It's a flaw in baseball that you can just decline to pitch to the other team's best player, just take him out of the game.  Baseball is a worse game when the stars are just walking to first instead of putting the ball in play.

3 hours ago, JimGinSP said:

I like the narrative BUT, Hyde’s MOY selection isn’t confirmed.   Hate to see Hyde lose his shot to earn that honor by pissing off folks in the media capital.  

True, but it's all the writers that make that vote, not just NY voters.  NY writers vote's don't carry more weight than anyone else's.

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

judge is hardly hateable.   

Agree, I like him, overall.  

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

No one will care/notice if it happens against the Orioles vs. any other team.  

I'll notice.  You'll notice.  Everyone here will notice.

2 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If only the same could be said about their fan base. I think Moose’s suggestion has more to do with poking them in the eye than dissing Judge. 

Poking them in the eye, repeatedly.  Very hard, sharp, quick thrusts.

But also, who do you want a record set against?  You or someone else?  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Ehh, it’s only the AL record

True.

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

This situation brings us back to the purpose of walks, and how they're not doing what they're supposed to do and maybe we should consider a change.  All of you who think the rules were handed to Abner Doubleday on stone tablets can go read another thread now...

Walks (and balls and strikes) were invented in the 1860s to make pitchers put the ball over the plate, and to make the batter swing and put the ball in play.  It was common for a pitcher to throw 50 or more pitches to a single batter, none of which were anywhere close to what we now call the strike zone.  So... balls, and strikes.

Clearly that's not working so well.  Not when walks afford the defense an opportunity to avoid pitching to the other team's best player at all. The penalty is not steep enough if the defense chooses to accept it pretty regularly.

So while I want Judge to hit zero homers against the Orioles this week, I'd like to see what happens if teams could decline a walk.  Or maybe a walk puts the last guy who made an out on first, and the batter gets to keep batting with a 0-0 count. And maybe a four-pitch walk becomes two bases.  It's a flaw in baseball that you can just decline to pitch to the other team's best player, just take him out of the game.  Baseball is a worse game when the stars are just walking to first instead of putting the ball in play.

TLDR

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd like to see how our guys do pitching to the best hitter in the game. We shouldn't act intimidated or do anything different.  

I'm not sure when you joined but I know you've been here awhile.  I'm pretty sure we're all well aware of Judge's history against us.

If you need to be reminded, it's a .314/.430/.712 slash line with 35 homers.  That's more homers against any team and by a decent amount.  He's got 28 against the Jays and then the next highest amount is 21 against the Sox.  

I've seen how our guys do pitching to him for years now and the results are hardly ever pretty.  He's got 9 homers against us this year, which is more than any other team.  I'm pretty sure I know how this story ends.