Potential trade for Corbin Burnes or Brandon Woodruff

OriolesMagic83

Stearns snd Stein
6:17
Does Milwaukee trade one or both of Burnes and Woodruff? 2 years left on both deals

Anthony Franco
Yeah I think they'll deal one this winter. Arb prices are escalating throughout the roster and they'd get an absolute haul for either

6:18
Believe Steve's planning to explore this more in-depth for Front Office subscribers this week, by the way

These are the type of pitchers the O's need to head their rotation.  Burnes was last year's Cy Young winner and Woodruff has been a contender the last few years.  Obviously it would take a haul to get either.  Is this a move the O's need to make?  A trade package would have to include one of the O's top prospects,  No Santander plus spare parts packages.

Thoughts?

56 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:
Stearns snd Stein
Does Milwaukee trade one or both of Burnes and Woodruff? 2 years left on both deals

Anthony Franco
Yeah I think they'll deal one this winter. Arb prices are escalating throughout the roster and they'd get an absolute haul for either

6:18
Believe Steve's planning to explore this more in-depth for Front Office subscribers this week, by the way

These are the type of pitchers the O's need to head their rotation.  Burnes was last year's Cy Young winner and Woodruff has been a contender the last few years.  Obviously it would take a haul to get either.  Is this a move the O's need to make?  A trade package would have to include one of the O's top prospects,  No Santander plus spare parts packages.

Thoughts?

Depends on the ask. Two years isn’t that many. I’m guessing any return would start with DL Hall, one of our prized infielders not named Gunnar, and maybe two other pieces. 

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Depends on the ask. Two years isn’t that many. I’m guessing any return would start with DL Hall, one of our prized infielders not named Gunnar, and maybe two other pieces. 

Sounds like way to much to me for only two years. Not saying they won’t get that, but I’m not about to give up 12 years for 2 years.

The Reds got two top 50ish prospects in Marte and Arroyo, plus two other solid prospects, from Seattle for 1.5 years of Luis Castillo, so 2 full years of Burnes or Woodruff (who have both been significantly better than Castillo over the last 3 years) should cost even more than that. Something like Cowser and Holliday, plus 2 or 3 more decent prospects from our top 30.

Personally, I'd rather just throw a Brinks truck or two in Justin Verlander's general direction since our payroll is sub-Rays level atm.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The Reds got two top 50ish prospects in Marte and Arroyo, plus two other solid prospects, from Seattle for 1.5 years of Luis Castillo, so 2 full years of Burnes or Woodruff (who have both been significantly better than Castillo over the last 3 years) should cost even more than that. Something like Cowser and Holliday, plus 2 or 3 more decent prospects from our top 30.

Personally, I'd rather just throw a Brinks truck or two in Justin Verlander's general direction since our payroll is sub-Rays level atm.

Well Castillo was also dealt at the deadline and pitching usually gets more at the deadline. 

I would want at least 3 years left for any pitcher we get in a trade.  I still think one of the young Astros starters makes the most sense.  The Astros were interested in Mullins before to upgrade their center fielder.   Elias knows that system so I like that as advantage.  Garcia, Valdez, Javier and Urquidy would be better fits because of at least 1 more year of control.  Javier would be my first choice because he has more strikeout stuff compared to other 3.  

Depends if the assumption is that no pitcher will still sign here for even money as other contenders.  If you think you can get a comparable pitcher on the FA market, then you just pay the dollars.

We have a surplus to trade from, but no way I would trade something like Cowser/Holliday.  I might consider Hall/Westburg assuming an extension.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

A deal around Hall would be good.  They could potentially use Urias.  Mateo doesn’t do them much good.

Can you get away with a Hall, Urias, Norby and Haskin deal?

Would make me happy.  Would even like to see if there's a sub for Norby like Creed Willems+Vavra

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

A deal around Hall would be good.  They could potentially use Urias.  Mateo doesn’t do them much good.

Feels light but I'd certainly do that.  Hall seems like the obvious start since we're all a bit concerned with his control and I'm not sure where Norby plays defensively.  If they wanted Cowser or Westburg over Norby would we do it?  How about Santander over Urias?

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Classic I don't like X (Hall) so let's use him to centerpiece a deal post.

And of course it gets one upped by the idea that the Marlins would take Creed and Vavra instead of Norby.

We got anymore flotsam we can toss in the mix?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Classic I don't like X (Hall) so let's use him to centerpiece a deal post.

And of course it gets one upped by the idea that the Marlins would take Creed and Vavra instead of Norby.

We got anymore flotsam we can toss in the mix?

Hall is a highly regarded prospect.  My feelings on him are irrelevant to the trade.

5 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Feels light but I'd certainly do that.  Hall seems like the obvious start since we're all a bit concerned with his control and I'm not sure where Norby plays defensively.  If they wanted Cowser or Westburg over Norby would we do it?  How about Santander over Urias?

I think it feels light too.  

I would include Santander without hesitation.

Cowser or Westburg would be a no for me because it’s only 2 years of service time.

• Upvote 1