Potential trade for Corbin Burnes or Brandon Woodruff

OriolesMagic83

I think the exclusivity of being the sole team to negotiate for an extension is super valuable and makes it worth considering.

Plus the Brewers would be a good trade partner, since they need another IF with Wong likely leaving.

I'd say Burnes is probably way more valuable and not worth the prospect haul, so for Woodruff something like:

Hall, Norby, R. Urias (purely so he could play with his brother)!

I popped this trade into baseball trade values and it is lopsided in favor of the Brewers, but an overpay in prospects may be necessary to get it over the line especially with other teams competing for Woodruff's services.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hall is a highly regarded prospect.  My feelings on him are irrelevant to the trade.

Right...

You and everyone else advocating for him to be included...

He's down to 6th on MLB.coms Oriole prospect list.

You think you can headline a deal for one of those two with a guy that isn't even in the top 5?

It's going to take one of the big three.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right...

You and everyone else advocating for him to be included...

He's down to 6th on MLB.coms Oriole prospect list.

You think you can headline a deal for one of those two with a guy that isn't even in the top 5?

It's going to take one of the big three.

I never said they would do the deal but that’s what I would give up.  I’m ok with not getting either of them as there are plenty of ways to obtain a good pitcher that doesn’t result in us losing Henderson, GRod or Holliday…or even Cowser or Westburg.

And btw, I’m guessing Milwaukee doesn’t care about where MLb.com rates a player.  They are going on their own evaluations.  

Edited by Sports Guy

9 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The Reds got two top 50ish prospects in Marte and Arroyo, plus two other solid prospects, from Seattle for 1.5 years of Luis Castillo, so 2 full years of Burnes or Woodruff (who have both been significantly better than Castillo over the last 3 years) should cost even more than that. Something like Cowser and Holliday, plus 2 or 3 more decent prospects from our top 30.

Personally, I'd rather just throw a Brinks truck or two in Justin Verlander's general direction since our payroll is sub-Rays level atm.

I agree. I'd rather spend money than prospects. Justin would be awesome, but short of that a lefty like Rodon would be ideal, considering our left field dimensions. 

I think I would offer a Hall, Westburg, Haskins, and Prieto type package for one of them if I had a shot at extending. That's a haul, but I think we have some depth. I'm not sure that's enough to get it done, but I would not move Henderson, Rodriguez, Holliday or Cowser for them. If you can get it done with any combination of 4 of the rest, I would probably pull the trigger (with a few exceptions).

Looking at Milwaukee's roster/org, they could us C help, a potential upgrade or platoon partner for Telliz at 1B, some MIF depth with Wong becoming a FA, and maybe a DH/OF bat, and of course pitching

O's cant really help them too much with C, but I wonder if Mountcastle or Santander would be a target for Milwaukee. Mountcastle is better defensively and hits LH better than Tellez. Santander gives them some depth and a power bat to replace Cutch. 3B could use some help too. They probably don't take both bc of cost. I don't think they need Mullins bc they have a new young CF in the Mitchell kid.

I also don't want to trade Hall bc we don't have pitching depth in the system yet.

So realistically it probably takes a bit more to get Burnes, but I wonder if Santander, Urias, Westburg, Mayo, and Denoyer get it done for one of them

The performance Stearns has curated out of these two guys has been staggering.

Even moreso than the Rays just using a zillion relievers with funky arm slots, I believe the Rest component more heavily used by the Brewers has led to Bats suffering at Arms expense generically MLB-wide the last few seasons.   It helped them get Pedro 2000 outcomes out of guys with like Kyle Bradish pedigree.

Burnes and Woodruff are a big chunk of why I feel Grayson Rodriguez may never make 30 starts, let alone 33.

Coming off his 2021 postseason of being "physically unable to pitch" an elimination game I am watching their deployment of Corbin Burnes in a tight playoff race tonight against Alcantara and next Wednesday in Game 162.

There are reports David Stearns has an opt-out if the Brewers make the World Series.    I'd guess their offseason doesn't really begin until that bit is settled - even if he "has one more year on his contract", the Steve Cohen Mets rumors were intense last offseason.

https://wisportsheroics.com/questions-surrounding-the-contract-of-david-stearns-may-indicate-2022-is-his-last-year-with-brewers/

Edited by Just Regular

2 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I am not against it but have a few notes. I would wait to see if Rondon would sign here and keep my top prospects. There cost will be around the same for the next 5-7 years. Also a reason why Alcantara is a better target to me because he’s much more affordable.

No idea why anyone wants Rodon for a bunch of years. He is a tremendous injury risk.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think it feels light too.  

I would include Santander without hesitation.

Cowser or Westburg would be a no for me because it’s only 2 years of service time.

Definitely don't want to include Cowser, but would add Westburg to the right deal.  I wonder if it's too early to trade one of the college OF drafted this year?  Is there a 1 year wait on trading players drafted?

2 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I think I would offer a Hall, Westburg, Haskins, and Prieto type package for one of them if I had a shot at extending. That's a haul, but I think we have some depth. I'm not sure that's enough to get it done, but I would not move Henderson, Rodriguez, Holliday or Cowser for them. If you can get it done with any combination of 4 of the rest, I would probably pull the trigger (with a few exceptions).

I reluctantly agree. I'm tired of waiting for Hall to come around and while I really like Westburg it is possible Ortiz ends up being as good or better. Still have Norby and Mayo in the pipeline with Holiday. Honestly I think we could be WS contenders with Burnes/Grayson at the top of the rotation.

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No idea why anyone wants Rodon for a bunch of years. He is a tremendous injury risk.

He's a risk.  How much more of a risk is he than any other pitcher?    I looks like he missed 2-3 starts last August and made every single one this year.   His numbers are fantastic this year.    He turns 30 in December.    I'd prefer less risk in someone like Verlander but you have injury and age to worry about there.

Edited by RZNJ

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well Castillo was also dealt at the deadline and pitching usually gets more at the deadline. 

That's true, but Burnes and Woodruff are both still legit TOR SPs with more control and markedly better track records than Castillo. I really can't see any way that a deal gets done without at least one of Cowser or Holliday, who comp pretty closely to Arroyo and Marte respectively, and maybe both if Burnes is the target. 

2 hours ago, pastorfan said:

I agree. I'd rather spend money than prospects. Justin would be awesome, but short of that a lefty like Rodon would be ideal, considering our left field dimensions. 

I'm still a bit wary of spending big bucks for Rodon tbh. The guy has been a full time rotation fixture since his debut all the way back in 2015 but has averaged less than 20 starts per season for his career. Dude just hasn't been able to stay healthy and I'm not sure a single year without an IL stint is enough for a small-mid market team like the Orioles to risk committing to a 9 figure contract starting at age 30 for him.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He's a risk.  How much more of a risk is he than any other pitcher?    I looks like he missed 2-3 starts last August and made every single one this year.   His numbers are fantastic this year.    He turns 30 in December.    I'd prefer less risk in someone like Verlander but you have injury and age to worry about there.

He has 3 seasons (not including 2020) or 20 starts or less.

This year is his first year over 170 IP.

No way I’m paying huge money to him.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He has 3 seasons (not including 2020) or 20 starts or less.

This year is his first year over 170 IP.

No way I’m paying huge money to him.

Fair enough.  We may have a better chance of getting someone considered a little more risky.    We can also afford to take some risk.  Is he the perfect target?  No.