Orioles select Benboom, DFA Castro

Legend_Of_Joey

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Shrug.   Right now, about the only move they can make is one that prevents a pending MiL free agent from leaving the organization.   They decided they’d rather have a 32-year old catcher (33 next season) than a 27-year old (28 next year) RH reliever with a 7.43 ERA this year, until they line up sonething better.   It couldn’t matter less.   It’s not like they are allowed to make trades or sign new players right now.  So “first move of the offseason” has zero significance.  This is like playing poker and the first thing you need to decide is whether to discard the two of diamonds or the three of clubs.  The chances that either card will be in your hand at the end of the game are minuscule.  

So other then giving them the benefit of the doubt, which is what you are doing, why would they ant to "protect" Bemboom? What makes you think he's a guy they SHOULD protect? I realize there are plenty of guys who can be replaced on the roster, that's not the point, the point is they decided that a 33-year old catcher who can't hit needs to be protected to other teams. 

WHY? Why would anyone think he needs to be protected. Heck, I'd even understand adding Gallagher, but Bemboom?

It makes no sense and unless there is some kind of contractual thing going on that we don't know about or some kind of major league time thing that enables him to get some kind of services or qualify for some kind of benefits, then I don't get it.

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

So other then giving them the benefit of the doubt, which is what you are doing, why would they ant to "protect" Bemboom? What makes you think he's a guy they SHOULD protect? I realize there are plenty of guys who can be replaced on the roster, that's not the point, the point is they decided that a 33-year old catcher who can't hit needs to be protected to other teams. 

WHY? Why would anyone think he needs to be protected. Heck, I'd even understand adding Gallagher, but Bemboom?

It makes no sense and unless there is some kind of contractual thing going on that we don't know about or some kind of major league time thing that enables him to get some kind of services or qualify for some kind of benefits, then I don't get it.

It’s simple.  If Bemboom wasn’t protected, he’d be a MiL free agent right now.  They weren’t ready to lose him just yet.  It costs them nothing other than Castro to make this move.  Granted, it’s not likely to gain them any advantage, since they’ll probably need to clear him off before the Rule 5 draft. 

On 10/7/2022 at 1:51 PM, RZNJ said:

Can we start a separate thread for "Moves that completely befuddle us"?  

Adding Bemboom to the 40 man makes no sense.  I agree but it's not really bothering me.

The move to bring up Hall for that start against the Rays.

Brett Phillips says hi