Orioles Claim Daz Cameron

Sydnor

23 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I think he is roster fodder. My guess is he doesn't make it to ST.

I think at some point Elias tries to get him through waivers to AAA.   He may be in ST.

I don't think Cameron has ever been outrighted.  So if the O's can get him through waivers he will have to accept the assignment to Norfolk.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think at some point Elias tries to get him through waivers to AAA.   He may be in ST.

I don't think Cameron has ever been outrighted.  So if the O's can get him through waivers he will have to accept the assignment to Norfolk.

I think he gets waived before the rule 5 deadline next week

I first thought of Mateo.  A highly regarded amateur player with tools who hasn’t hit.  First question.   Isn’t he a slightly lesser version of Ryan McKenna but with maybe more upside?  Second question.  When is a player like this most likely to slip through waivers?  Wouldn’t it be at the last minute when setting your 40-man roster before the rule 5?    No team is going to claim Cameron and then risk losing him if and when they send him down next ST.    It’s like a game of musical chairs.  The last team to outright Cameron before the rule 5, can send him to AAA and see if they can unlock his potential.   

If I’m reading fangraphs and baseball savant correctly, there are some positive signs between EV, sprint speed, xwoba, xslug, etc.

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I first thought of Mateo.  A highly regarded amateur player with tools who hasn’t hit.  First question.   Isn’t he a slightly lesser version of Ryan McKenna but with maybe more upside?  Second question.  When is a player like this most likely to slip through waivers?  Wouldn’t it be at the last minute when setting your 40-man roster before the rule 5?    No team is going to claim Cameron and then risk losing him if and when they send him down next ST.    It’s like a game of musical chairs.  The last team to outright Cameron before the rule 5, can send him to AAA and see if they can unlock his potential.   

If I’m reading fangraphs and baseball savant correctly, there are some positive signs between EV, sprint speed, xwoba, xslug, etc.

Mateo was my first thought, too. It'd be pretty cool if he turned into something useful in Baltimore. Not getting my hopes up, but I'd love to be surprised.