Would you sign Trea Turner…for CF?

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think SportsGuy just wants to get rid of Mullins before people start digging up posts like this from pre-season 2021.  Derek Fisher (a famous name in Oriole history) was just DFA.

“That’s fine and Mullins can still be on the team.

That being said, Mullins isn’t good and he has very little, if any, upside.

Fisher does.  Btw, UZR and UZR/150 doesn’t hate him as a COer.  Probably not a CFer though.  He’s a big guy, so it’s not all that surprising.

We also have DH at bats too.”

Lol.  I understand your obsession with me and the need to find things when I was wrong.  It’s pathetic but it’s who you are.

That said, everyone was wrong about Mullins.  I’m perfectly fine with the concept of writing off a guy that did nothing for a several year period and bucked the odds and became good. 

Just now, interloper said:

Turner wouldn't sign for CF because a SS makes way more money. His agent would slap him upside the head for agreeing to that. 

Ummm, that’s the point and it’s what I said.  You would have to pay him SS level money to get him here.

I have just seen a lot of people, both here and moreso on Twitter land saying they want Turner.  

Just posing the question.  I think he’s a terrible sign myself.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol.  I understand your obsession with me and the need to find things when I was wrong.  It’s pathetic but it’s who you are.

That said, everyone was wrong about Mullins.  I’m perfectly fine with the concept of writing off a guy that did nothing for a several year period and bucked the odds and became good. 

Obsessed?  No.  Amused?  Yes.  Lol

Is there a way that we could sign Turner for SS, keep Mullins and sign a pitcher? How much would that realistically costs?

I would just hate for the Orioles to go cheap and blow what appears to be a golden opportunity with roster flexibility, payroll, and young assets.

At some point, if we are going to win we are going to have to spend. (Like seriously contend for a pennant/world series and not just claw our way to a wildcard and keep our fingers crossed to hope for the best.)

I hope the Orioles brass has put together a plan this offseason to figure out how we can best leapfrog the Yanks, Blue Jays, Mariners, and even the Astros; not just simply enter into the conversation.

At some point the expectations have to be championship, otherwise what was all the unwatchable sucktitude of 18- 21 really for?

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Is there a way that we could sign Turner for SS, keep Mullins and sign a pitcher? How much would that realistically costs?

I would just hate for the Orioles to go cheap and blow what appears to be a golden opportunity with roster flexibility, payroll, and young assets.

At some point, if we are going to win we are going to have to spend. (Like seriously contend for a pennant/world series and not just claw our way to a wildcard and keep our fingers crossed to hope for the best.)

I hope the Orioles brass has put together a plan this offseason to figure out how we can best leapfrog the Yanks, Blue Jays, Mariners, and even the Astros; not just simply enter into the conversation.

At some point the expectations have to be championship, otherwise what was all the unwatchable sucktitude of 18- 21 really for?

Spending on IFers just doesn’t make sense for this team.  Even if they were going to spend a ton of money this offseason, which they aren’t, it still wouldn’t make sense.

By all means, spend some money..just not in areas we have a lot of depth and talent in.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Spending on IFers just doesn’t make sense for this team.  Even if they were going to spend a ton of money this offseason, which they aren’t, it still wouldn’t make sense.

By all means, spend some money..just not in areas we have a lot of depth and talent in.

I don't necessarily disagree. They have shortstops galore on the Big league roster and minor leagues, though none is currently as good as Turner. He would fit beautifully in a 1, 2, 3 line up scenario with Adley and Gunnar.

However, if they don't spend at short for a player like Henderson, what would you do to get this lineup better to the point where we can compete with the Blue Jays, Mariners, and Astros? Those teams (along with maybe Tampa) appear to be or chief competition not just for next year, but going forward. 

We may all disagree (which I believe is totally reasonable) about how the O's should/could get there. But at the end of the day, in the post season, talent matters when you have to face the best pitchers and hitters in the game in a short series.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't necessarily disagree. They have shortstops galore on the Big league roster and minor leagues, though none is currently as good as Turner. He would fit beautifully in a 1, 2, 3 line up scenario with Adley and Gunnar.

However, if they don't spend at short for a player like Henderson, what would you do to get this lineup better to the point where we can compete with the Blue Jays, Mariners, and Astros? Those teams (along with maybe Tampa) appear to be or chief competition not just for next year, but going forward. 

We may all disagree (which I believe is totally reasonable) about how the O's should/could get there. But at the end of the day, in the post season, talent matters when you have to face the best pitchers and hitters in the game in a short series.

I can’t agree more with a lot of this.  They absolutely have to get better. Some of that will come from Henderson and Adley playing (knock on wood) full seasons.  Part of it will be elevating the young players in the minors up to the majors but then you also have the idea of needing to add real outside talent to this team.

Im personally all for Jose Abreu because I think he’s the type of hitter this team needs.  Yoshida is another bat that sounds good but he also sounds more like a DH, so you can’t go him and Abreu unless you are dealing Mountcastle.

Another bat, likely in the OF, is needed imo.  Elias said he believes they need to add 2 bats.  I think he’s right.  

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And, oh by the way, you can’t even own being wrong.  You have to say everyone was wrong.  That’s blatantly false.  Of course, no one predicted his 2021 season but it was reasonable to hope his upside could be something like his 2022 season based on his minor league record.  He was on a steady path until he hit rock bottom in 2019 and went all the way back to AA. He rebounded somewhat in 2020.  EVERYONE didn’t relegate him to 5th outfielder with little, to no, upside.  You did.  100%.  Just own it 100% like you are about everything else.

Creative thought, but for what it takes to sign Turner, why not just sign one of the stud SPs?

Agree that Mullins would fit better down the line-up.  Mullins' speed and 2021 kept him at leadoff in 2022.  But a .320 OBP isn't leadoff material.  Even with his high K%, Cowser looks like he's a .340ish type OBP guy that could feed the beast and bump Mullins to sweeper/RBI role.

Turner is built like a pixie and swings like a monster.  A bit of Mateo with a much better contact rate.  His pull rate was a career high spike to 41.4% (vs 36.8 career).  Is that a LAD attempt to get him to tap into more power that didn't come to fruition?  2022 OPACY expected HRs is the lowest of all stadiums for Trea.  

Turner will sign for CF as long as he's paid like a top SS.  This is Trea's (not Trey's) payday that will carry him through/past the end of his prime.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

And, oh by the way, you can’t even own being wrong.  You have to say everyone was wrong.  That’s blatantly false.  Of course, no one predicted his 2021 season but it was reasonable to hope his upside could be something like his 2022 season based on his minor league record.  He was on a steady path until he hit rock bottom in 2019 and went all the way back to AA. He rebounded somewhat in 2020.  EVERYONE didn’t relegate him to 5th outfielder with little, to no, upside.  You did.  100%.  Just own it 100% like you are about everything else.

Is it possible to have a discussion without you going after Sports Guy for something he said in the past? 

We're having a conversation about whether Trea Turner makes sense. Bringing up the past has no relevance on this discussion.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Lol.  God I feel sorry for anyone who is around you.

I said..you find the need to find things where I was WRONG.(which is clearly me saying I was wrong about him)

And I said I’m perfectly fine writing him off in the scenario he was.

I was wrong about him..and if I had to do it all over again, I would have the same opinion because history tells me I’m going to be right far more often than not. 

Players don’t usually develop the way he did after being bad for multiple years at the ages he was.  It’s unusual. I’m good with it.  

Edited by Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Is it possible to have a discussion without you going after Sports Guy for something he said in the past? 

We're having a conversation about whether Trea Turner makes sense. Bringing up the past has no relevance on this discussion.

Sorry. He mentioned that we HAD to trade Cedric Mullins.  Seems like he’s obsessed with trading poor Cedric.  I’ve been well behaved for weeks now.  I will cease and desist.  

44 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Creative thought, but for what it takes to sign Turner, why not just sign one of the stud SPs?

Because you'd rather not spend on riskier player injury profiles. 

It's believable to me that the O's would trade 10 prospects for two starting pitchers before they pay top of the market rates for a free agent starting pitcher. I'm not predicting that, but I think if they go after a true TOR pitcher, it'll be through trade.

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I was wrong about him

I've given a fair amount of thought to the Mullins situation and I still think you're wrong about him. I think sometimes you just pay a guy for what you'll get. You don't worry about trading him. You don't worry about trying to find a good replacement. You don't worry about signing him to FA afterwards.

I get that there's always a churn scenario (e.g., trade Mullins + prospects for pitching, sign Nimmo) that could make sense. I just don't think it's something that SHOULD happen as much as something that could happen and make sense is some limited scenario.

The only way I think this could work is if Turner has to take a short term contract to get out of the 2022 SS sweepstakes.  If he takes a 1/$25M with an option maybe he's willing to play CF. But that is quite a stretch given he's very likely to find a long term deal. 

I think I mentioned this a few weeks ago that he can play CF and might be a solid bridge to Jackson Holiday at SS and then slide over to CF. However, the O's have much better options. But an interesting thought experiment.