Feinsand : Orioles best fit for Nathan Eovaldi

Roll Tide

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was really good in 2021.

He's about what I expect.

Heck maybe we get lucky and he goes off and has another great year.

Not a bold move by a team that is going for it.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Eovaldi is one of these pitchers who can drive you crazy.   Super talented, but inconsistent game to game and even within starts, and often hurt.  Unfortunately, that seems to be a pretty common thread among the second tier pitchers.

Pretty much sums up my expectations for a potential Orioles SP signing.  Heck, sadly enough, I'd be pretty excited with the signing. 

22 minutes ago, ChicagoTerp said:

Didn't he reject his $20M qualifying offer? I remember him having great stuff, but I don't think this move would make much sense.

It's probably his last payday of any significance.  Something as low as 45/3 is probably much more appealing at this stage of his career than 20/1. 

Hard pass on Eovaldi from me due to his injury history and the draft pick compensation for a divisional rival atrached to him, and I would bet Elias feels the same way (at least for the latter reason).

I would much rather pay less and keep the draft pick by signing Syndergaard and seeing if he regains more of his old form the further he gets away from his surgery and resulting 2 year layoff or gets better at getting the most from his reduced stuff with more experience pitching with it and maybe some help from Team Elias. I really think the market is  sleeping on him and that whoever signs him might end up with a nice little steal for themselves.

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Hard pass on Eovaldi from me due to his injury history and the draft pick compensation for a divisional rival atrached to him, and I would bet Elias feels the same way (at least for the latter reason).

I would much rather pay less and keep the draft pick by signing Syndergaard and seeing if he regains more of his old form the further he gets away from his surgery and resulting 2 year layoff or gets better at getting the most from his reduced stuff with more experience pitching with it and maybe some help from Team Elias. I really think the market is  sleeping on him and that whoever signs him might end up with a nice little steal for themselves.

I would be fine with Syndergaard as well.  I think I would prefer him slightly.  Syndergaard is going to cost more and might have more suitors as well.  He's almost exactly 2 years younger and put up a 1.8 WAR last year compared to Eovaldi's 1.5 and carries a 16.7 carrer WAR vs. Eovaldi's 15.8.  You get a little more K per 9 and BB per 9 with Eovaldi but similar production overall.  

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

Syndergaard is going to cost more and might have more suitors as well.  

I'm not sure about that. MLBTR has Eovaldi projected at 2 years, $17 million per and Syndergaard at 3 years, $12 million per.

I'd take that Syndergaard deal in a heartbeat and maybe ever try to tack on a club option for a 4th year. If he regains some of his earlier form or discovers another gear with his reduced stuff through more experience using it, that contract could be quite a bargain.

20 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

It's probably his last payday of any significance.  Something as low as 45/3 is probably much more appealing at this stage of his career than 20/1. 

No way he takes 45 years for $3mm. I wouldn’t commit 45 years of my life for $3mm and I can barely throw in the 70s anymore but my curve ball is pretty solid even if it is 60mph or so. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, sevastras said:

No way he takes 45 years for $3mm. I wouldn’t commit 45 years of my life for $3mm and I can barely throw in the 70s anymore but my curve ball is pretty solid even if it is 60mph or so. 

haha

8 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I'm not sure about that. MLBTR has Eovaldi projected at 2 years, $17 million per and Syndergaard at 3 years, $12 million per.

I'd take that Syndergaard deal in a heartbeat and maybe ever try to tack on a club option for a 4th year. If he regains some of his earlier form or discovers another gear with his reduced stuff through more experience using it, that contract could be quite a bargain.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.  I imagine they will end up with pretty similar deals.  I only think Syndergaard will be more attractive because of the lack of pick associated with him.  

Edited by emmett16